Great Combo

Frankyguy

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but thought I would pass this info on. Both I and my wife each have Magellan Meridian Gold GSPr units, and my brother just gave me a pair of Cobra PR4750-2 WX EVP 2 way radios. The radios are great to take along on searches, they have a 12 mile range 10 NOAA weather channels and many other features. We tried them out in the woods and they worked great. I have listed the links below as both are sold by Wal-Mart if anyone might be interested.

Cobra

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...duct_id=3984991

Magellan Gold

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...duct_id=2470866

Whenever someone goes with me they are usally close enough that I don't need the radios. I used to carry one and leave in on tuned to channel 2 the agreed upon geocachers channel, but after 6 months and not hearing anyone else I gave up on it.

Did not know about channel 2, thanks for the info.

Whenever someone goes with me they are usally close enough that I don't need the radios. I used to carry one and leave in on tuned to channel 2 the agreed upon geocachers channel, but after 6 months and not hearing anyone else I gave up on it.

My wife bought a set too so we could listen to channel two. The only thing they've done so far is to scare the begeezus out of me when they broke squelch when I was concentrating too hard on finding a cache. [:laughing:]

The Garmin Rino is really neat - it's a GPS receiver and a two way radio in one! Not only does it allow you to talk, but you can also see the location of other devices by syncing them over radio frequency. I don't actually own one, but it sounds really cool.

They are neat. We have 2 Rino 130's and a Rino 120. They work really well when we split off in the woods to check out two likely hiding spots. Even if you can see the other person, saves shouting at them. :laughing:

We also use them a lot since we have young kids and many times one of us stays behind in the car on the quick cache and dashes. We use the radios to call back in for hints if needed or to start logging the find. Nice to have both the GPSr and radio in one - saves lugging around a 2nd piece of equipment.

The 130 also has a the weather radio - which we've used once or twice before to see when some pending tunderstorms were due to roll in.

Haven't had much need to "beam" our location to one another yet.

Definetely our best buy before our holiday.

I thrashed my way to 4ft to the cache and the GPS died and I had no spare batteries and was on top of a 30ft high bank I raised my walking pole and radioed Lynn to ask if I was in the right location I was great. I then proceeded to confirm the clue and started to search and search. Having flattened a large are of bracken the cache was looking doubtful until I found the small gully leading the other way an few moments later I was pulling a black bag out with a cache in it. A quick radio conversation with the kids later and I took crayons, incense sticks, fridge magnet and badge. Left two bangles, water pistol and Para man. Redescended to the beach and enjoyed a leisurely and much shorter walk back to the car along the beach. Thanks for the cache I think?

Agreed, GPS plus FRS is a great combo. But about the only times I use the radio is when I'm canoeing or hiking in the woods at night. When I'm caching with someone else, it's usually for comradery and conversation; we are rarely more than 50 ft. apart.

In my area, hanging out on channel 2, waiting to meet some new geocachers probably would not be fruitful (although I have never tried). :unsure:<_<

I've been caching since April and I didn't know channel 2 was the unofficial/official channel for cachers. I doubt many do.

<_<

Just for others that might not have seen it this is taken from the FAQ.

"Do you have an FRS/PMR channel to find out if other Geocachers are in the area?

Yes. The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary for both FRS and PMR, and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel and 8 for the alternate PMR (Europe). FRS and PMR radios are longer distance walkie talkies, like the Motorola Talkabout."