Homespun, Hometown Cachers

(ATROO1TMTTW) * I just wonder how many cachers live and cache in the community where they spent their childhood? My home coordinates are about .5 miles from the high school I attended.

Caching in my old stomping grounds, I have discovered plenty of local treasures (and history) I would otherwise not have known. I’ve lived in this area most of 60 years. It’s amazing what escapes you in your own back yard that you can discover (geocaching) on the World Wide Web.

A few months back, I discovered a delightful little spot within walking distance of my home. Back in the day, this spot was just someone’s private property; today it is a park.

Does your caching experience take you down memory lane? Tell me a story. :lol::P

*At the risk of opening 1 too many topics this week!

I grew up a long ways from Wyoming. I moved here 3.5 years ago to take a new job. The very first time I went anywhere near central Wyoming was the night before I started my first day of work here. I toted my family with me, we jumped in feet first and have called it home from that day forward - not knowing a thing about the place or state at the time we first arrived.

The biggest "leap of faith" in my life.

So relative to the OP - I'm always caching down someone else's memory lane :P

It's all OK now though - and more than finding caches it has been HIDING caches that have brought me to some AMAZING places around my new home.

I live about 15 miles (distance wise), but a world away (environment wise), from where I grew up. There was one, fairly lame cache in my home town that I've found. I've thought about going back and placing more, but since my parents sold the homestead and moved to NC the the only time I go back is when one of my grandmothers is in the hospital (which at their age seems to happen every other month).

Well, for the first couple of years of caching, I lived about an hour away from where I grew up (Pahrump, NV), and since my mom still lives there I did find a few caches out that way. Also, our first cache was placed out in a spot that I used to party at in high school.

Now that I live in Dallas its all new to me, but I was thinking just the other day what cool places I could hide caches if I still lived in Pahrump.

I live in a neighboring town from where I lived as a child. I'm only about 7 miles away from the house I grew up in. I'm amazed just about every time I go out caching at all the parks and trails and such that I never knew existed.

The funny thing is, one of the reasons we got into this activity was to spice up our dayhiking experiences -- we were getting bored with going to the same trails all the time, and venturing too far out of the local area isn't feasible with 2 children, one with special needs. I really expected that we'd be visiting the same parks and trails we'd always visited, just with GPSr in hand and loot for trade. Boy, was I wrong!

Most of the sites we've cached at I never found listed in our different community publications/websites/etc. Not even the hiking club or the county walking program makes mention of these treasures. My absolute favorite thing about geocaching in the very short time we've been doing it has been the discovery of new places in our own backyard.

I grew up in a suburb of Rochester, NY, called Irondequoit. I lived right near the city's zoo and spent alot of time there, so much so we kinda thought we owned it and the park it was in.

I moved away, but have gone back to do one cache in that park on a trail we used all the time. The cache calls it an Indian trail. hmmmmm Could be. Liked the cache, but the ground was VERY familiar.

Then we did The Subway Cache, in the abandoned underground section of the defunct Rochester subway system, below the downtown area. When I was a kid, we had heard of it, but our mothers would have KILLED us if we had gone there.

I did this cache with a group of friends and kept hiccuping - "My ma's gonna kill me if she finds out." As if she would and as if I weren't in my 40's fer goshsake.

<_<

And no, I've never told her about that one.

I live in the town where I grew up. All of my family is here. Many of my friends are here.

My kids have some of the same teachers that I had.

Geocaching has caused me to visit this cache and learn something about the town that I have lived in for 24 years.

I had never been to that park/historic place and it is literally four and a half blocks from my house. I drive by it daily.

I grew up all over Wyoming, Dad worked with the Oil industry. We lived in Gillette, Casper, Laramie and Evanston. I have been up and down every road, track and path that had an oil/gas well near it from the late 60's through the mid 80's. Learned why it is wise to sit in the middle seat of a pickup truck with 3 passengers. I consider Wyoming my Home and feel fortunate that my "grown-up" life keeps me nearby (Nebraska Panhandle). About 1/2 my placed caches are in Wyoming and about 1/3 of my finds. Great to return to areas I haven't seen in a long time to find a cache. Big, beautiful area - but I call it home. Go Pokes!!!

Edited by StarBrand

After being gone for 20 years, a year and a half ago I moved back to the city in which I was born and raised. Although this isn't a particularly cache-dense area (less than 18% of my finds are in the tri-county area) I'm finding caches in places I explored as a teen (I explored everywhere back then (including places I should haven't been) -- if only there had been geocaching!) and in a few places I had never found. Some days I find myslef amazed at the changes over the last 20 to 30 years. On a rare occasion I'm even more amazed when I find something that hasn't changed in the slightest.

Not too long ago I found a cache in location which brought back a lot of memories. It is hidden in the remnants of an old stone structure in a forested area of a large park that doesn't get a lot of visitors. The structure itself is being reclaimed by nature. In my later high school years, my girlfriend and I would hike to this spot and commune with nature so to speak. <_< I was quite surprised to find a cache there.

I live in the town I grew up in and have several caches in the area. I try to show off a little bit of the history of the area in the caches I place.

I spent about 10 years living in a town just 12 miles north of here and had several ideas for caches there but I never got around to placing them (I do that a lot). Back in February a new guy started caching up there. He's lived in the area for about 70 years and knows some amazing out-of-the-way locations as well as the stories behind them.

He's placed a few caches in the spots that I always thought about, but thanks to his knowledge of the area they're by far more interesting than anything I could have done.

Bret

After spending six years downstate my wife and I are also now living about .5 miles from our high school. Of course, that is because we are living with her parents...

We specifically moved back to be near family, and in the fall will be moving into our own home in the same area. I do not like it here as much as I remember, but between family and plenty of good caches it makes for a decent place to live.