Coords. Off By 300' On Private Property

cainrcc

I was trying for a FTF for a cache and my GPS was reading 300' across a small stream and onto private property. They since have edited cache description now reads don't cross the creek and states "if your gps tells you to go onto the posted property, it's off."

It was found the next day and coordinates posted in his log.Then the owner asked him to remove his coordinates from his log for what ever reason. I recived a couple of requests for the coordinates after my find so I edited my log to include the coordinates then the cache owner emailed me said I should not post the coordinates in the log.I emaled the owner to offer assistance and suggested that they could leave the updated coordinates in the logs for other cachers who seek the cache. They know the cache is off by 300' on private property and want it that way for whatever reason. :D I sugested they could make it an offset cache or maybe a puzzle cache and that just started some not so nice emails from them.

Is it proper to post the corrected coordinates when the posted ones are sending you on private property by over 250' ???

Yes thats the one, she said she is going to move stage one because we posted coords. for stage 1

:unsure:

the posted coords on the page are supposed to be for stage 1 (for a multi) . They have a cache placed, and 3 multi-caches so not sure why they would be confused.

:laughing:

hopefully they'll get it squared away soon.

:blink:

Edited by robert

Some people confuse a regular or multi cache with an offset or mystery cache and have the mistaken idea that deliberately listing false or inaccurate coordinates with no way to determine the correct coordinates is a legitimate way to make a cache harder. It isn't.

Listing false or inaccurate coordinates is the lazy way to make a cache harder, and almost guarantees that an area will receive unnecessary wear and tear as people seek the cache at the wrong coordinates. It also almost guarantees that fellow cachers will be frustrated in their search, through no fault of their own. A very strange sense of what's "fun".

I suspect that's what's going on here - the cache owner doesn't want you to post accurate coordinates in your log because it would "spoil" the "difficulty" of finding the first stage. With a little thought and creativity, the owner could achieve the same difficulty without misleading people seeking the cache, encouragin trespassing, or encouraging fruitless searches.

I'd list the coordinates in my log, and send a note to the reviewer suggesting the cache owner needs to be educated.

An update on OUR cache. We have move the first stage so that there will be no more problems. I have told Cain over and over again that I haven't had time to go out and check the cache. I had a chance today and we found a better spot for it. I am sorry he wasted all of your time with this subject, when clearly, it was just me not getting time to go out and correct the mistake. I hope this is finally over and he can move on!

I can't think of a time when it is ever appropriate for a cache owner to complain about posting corrected coordinates to a regular or the first stage of a multi.

If they are more accurate than the official coordinates, then good. And if they are less accurate...well, other cachers have to live and learn.

In a multi cache the coods are supposed to be where the cache is or where you are supposed to start (for an offset cache). There is no problem posting them in this case. I would.

The owner may not understand what a multi cache is supposed to be vs. a puzzle where you don't go to the coordinates because you have to solve for them somehow.

My but we are all a suspicious bunch, accusing the owners of all kinds of deviant behaviors!

It's their third hide, folks. They got the cords wrong somehow (maybe they didn't have their unit on long enough, maybe there was heavy tree cover, maybe they couldn't get a lock just like the person who has 403 finds that went looking for it and used two different GPS units).

That was obvious from the directions that they posted to the page. The owner had already said that they would go back and check the cords, and yeah, maybe there wasn't any reason to ask the FTF to remove their cords from the page (except perhaps pride, or just wanting to do it themselves, I dunno???)...

but I didn't see any reason for the experienced local cachers to start posting nastygrams on the forum about it either. Maybe someone was mad because they felt "cheated" out of FTF????

I know for sure now that I am glad that I live in the area I do--No one around here would every treat new cachers that rudely. They would have offered help, suggestions, and encouragement.

Edited by Team Neos
I am sorry he wasted all of your time with this subject, when clearly, it was just me not getting time to go out and correct the mistake. I hope this is finally over and he can move on!

Why are you apologizing for someone else's post? Isn't it up to the reader to determine what qualifies as a waste of time? I think this topic is interesting, and that the original poster had a valid point upon which it was reasonable to ask the opinions of the wider caching community.

In most of the other cases I have seen where someone puts information in a log that the cache owner doesn't want there, the general consensus is that it's the owner's cache and the owner's cache page and that posters should respond to requests or the owner is entitled to delete the offending logs. What makes this case different? I guess that most people feel that it is the duty of the cache owner to provide reasonably accurate coordinates, and when they appear to not be upholding that duty they lose the right of control over the cache listing? Don't mind me, just thinking aloud.

I've noticed many cache pages where finder after finder offered 'corrected coordinates' that were within 50 ft of the posted coordinates. In many cases, some finder eventually wrote "I tried the coordinates offered by W, X, Y, and Z, but after searching for a while, my GPS settled down and I found the cache at exactly the posted coordinates."

Of course, I've also viewed many cache pages where finder after finder agreed the posted coordinates were wrong, but the owner never checked into the accuracy of his coordinates or edited the page to reflect the general consensus. At some point, that should be considered a "maintenance issue," and official action taken.

An update on OUR cache. We have move the first stage so that there will be no more problems. I have told Cain over and over again that I haven't had time to go out and check the cache. I had a chance today and we found a better spot for it. I am sorry he wasted all of your time with this subject, when clearly, it was just me not getting time to go out and correct the mistake. I hope this is finally over and he can move on!

If the coordinates were off by 300 feet then why didnt you want the proper one listed. It is a multi and as such the first coordinates listed should be for the first stage. I know you didnt have time to check but as such there is nothing you say in the listing that is is not at the listed coords. This could be due to a transicrption error on your part when entering the coords.

cheers