Gask....for Beginners?

Ok,

I can tell that a lot of people here use GASK and I have downloaded the free 21 day trial of this.

Are there any other software programs that anyone else would like to suggest? I can honestly say that GASK seems a bit over my head. I really have not had enough time to dedicate to it (reading the help screens and such). I did manage to get about 100 caches loaded into my 76cs and that was pretty easy, but it seems like managing the information is hard....

Maybe it's just me....I am just a sales man! I have my IT department figure everything out for me.

Anyway, before I will decide if this is what I will use I would like other suggestions.

Suggestions? comments?

My advice is to stick it out with GSAK. It's a great piece of software, and it makes caching much easier. If you can use a spreadsheet program, such as Lotus 123 or Microsoft Excel, you should get the hang of GSAK pretty quickly.

That being said, the way to really tap into the benefits of GSAK is to start loading pocket queries into it. That would require becoming a premium member. I suggest you sign up for premium membership for one month ($3.00 US). Then generate some pocket queries for your caching area and load them into GSAK. I think you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly when you see references to local caches.

If I'm wrong, you're out three bucks for the one-month membership and you can delete GSAK from your hard drive and look for something else. But, unless you're really strapped for cash, I think you'll quickly slap down the registration fee for GSAK and sign up for a year of premium membership.

You just need to play with it.

Open GSAK (The more cache you have the better it works)

Click on search

Change Difficulty from 5 to 2 (Example)

Change Terrrain from 5 to 2 (Example)

Change Distance to Less than or equal to 5 Miles (Example)

Click on GO

You now have a list of filtered caches.

Repeat above steps with different numbers

Click at top of any collum and it will sort by accending or decending.

Just keep playing arounds and you will love it.

i would also agree, gsak is the way to go, i have used other things and six months down the road i am back to gsak, it is the best software..... i do agree there is so many options/things to confuse a person that is new to it. maybe a question about some aspect of it someone here could help you out.

there is only a few things you really need to know to use it

both are in top bar.

file, export, choose right file type: you can view caches in your mapping software.

GPS, setup, pick your gps brand: now you can click GPS again and send or receive waypoints to/from your GPS

Edited by hogrod

You could try to get your IT guys to explain it to you? :D

Or you could download EasyGPS and try that for a while. That's what I started with before GSAK was available.

However, by the time GSAK first came to my attention, I quickly switched since I was aware of the limitations of EasyGPS by that time.

It sounds as if I just need to take the time to set down for a few hours and play with it. I am (almost) a pro with Microsoft Excel, and I do understand databases.

I am a premium member (I don't know why it does not show that next to my name) and I have already done a pocket Querie and downloaded 100 waypoints.

Now I have 100 of my waypoints and some examples that came with the data base. I still can't figure out how to delete the examples that came with it! Anyway....I think I just need to play with it, it looks like (from all the different post) that this really is the best out there.

Thank you!

If you still have the original pocket query file, you may just want to create a new database and open the PQ into it. The alternative would be to filter out your *wanted* caches--probably by setting a centre point and filtering by distance--and then deleting all the remaining *unwanted* caches. (The latter is not a bad exercise to do to get a feel for how you can select certain caches for further processing, even if you do the new database option).

It sounds as if I just need to take the time to set down for a few hours and play with it. I am (almost) a pro with Microsoft Excel, and I do understand databases.

I am a premium member (I don't know why it does not show that next to my name) and I have already done a pocket Querie and downloaded 100 waypoints.

Now I have 100 of my waypoints and some examples that came with the data base. I still can't figure out how to delete the examples that came with it! Anyway....I think I just need to play with it, it looks like (from all the different post) that this really is the best out there.

Thank you!

If you can handle Excel, GSAK will be a cakewalk once you get comfortable with the layout.

Start slow and just get the feel of it first. Play with the sampl data and click around. Explore the options, menus, and using the right click on the mouse. That'll really get you going. Don't even begin thinking about macros yet. As a beginner you can do everything you need without using a single macro. You can get into that later if you choose after you see how you use the product. Also, after you play around a bit some of what others talk about will start making more sense to you and you'll get more ideas on how to use it better for your needs.

As for deleting the samples, you can right click on each one and select 'delete waypoint' and choose the option to delete 'this waypoint only'. Also you can check the user flag box on all the sample caches then right click, select 'delete waypoint' then choose to delete 'all user ticked' waypoints.

Go in and play with it for a little while. You'll do just fine.

Yes, lots of us swear by GSAK. I'd wager most of us are heavy users. That is, we hunt hundreds of caches per year and almost certainly go paperless.

If you're not planning to become one of those nuts, then GSAK might not be worth the effort. For those of us who are paperless, and usually hunt more caches in a day than you have done in your life, it allows us to carry all the information needed for hunting any and all of the caches in an area the size of a large metropolitan county. If your style is to go out on a weekend occasionally for a hike, looking for a few caches, then print-outs are the way to go. There's no learning curve, no data management effort, and few trees are murdered in the process.

There is one other type of cacher for which in which GSAK, combined with PQs and PDAs, would be useful, the opportunistic cacher. An opportunistic cacher is one who travels a lot and/or spends a lot of time in the car, and finds an idle hour or half hour here and there. This type of cacher can use GSAK (and PDA) the same way the heavy user does. Whenever there is slak time, you can check your PDA for nearby caches.

An opportunistic cacher is one who travels a lot and/or spends a lot of time in the car, and finds an idle hour or half hour here and there. This type of cacher can use GSAK (and PDA) the same way the heavy user does. Whenever there is slak time, you can check your PDA for nearby caches.

I like that....an opportunistic cacher. I just updated my profile yesterday on Geocaching.com to say that I plan on trying to find at least one cache per state that I visit. Between now and the end of the year, I will have visited Kentucky, Texas, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Arizona and Connecticut.....I'm sure there will be a few others too. I only wish I was not sick when I went out to Colorado.

The only problem I can see, is my caching with my suit and tie.....

I posted a question the other day about my new cell phone that my office is getting me. It's an Audiovox VX6600 (I think its VX)...anyway, it's a PDA phone with some pretty good memory. Maybe I can download from GASK to my phone??

Edited by Lost In Michigan
I posted a question the other day about my new cell phone that my office is getting me. It's an Audiovox VX6600 (I think its VX)...anyway, it's a PDA phone with some pretty good memory. Maybe I can download from GASK to my phone??

the way i get the GPX files on my pocket pc with gsak is file,export, then export a gpx/loc file. then i put that file in my sync folder(one of the folders i have MS active sync check) so i have all the caches in gsak on my pocket pc. then i open that file with GPXview or GPXsonor(both pocket pc programs that you can view caches with)

I'm sure this would work fo you. i jsut update the file every few weeks or when i am going out for the day.

An opportunistic cacher is one who travels a lot and/or spends a lot of time in the car, and finds an idle hour or half hour here and there. This type of cacher can use GSAK (and PDA) the same way the heavy user does. Whenever there is slak time, you can check your PDA for nearby caches.

I like that....an opportunistic cacher. I just updated my profile yesterday on Geocaching.com to say that I plan on trying to find at least one cache per state that I visit. Between now and the end of the year, I will have visited Kentucky, Texas, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Arizona and Connecticut.....I'm sure there will be a few others too. I only wish I was not sick when I went out to Colorado.

The only problem I can see, is my caching with my suit and tie.....

I've always said I'm a cacher of opportunity and it is exactly as BL describes it. I went paperless shortly after trying to maintain a DB of waypoints in my storage card on my MeriPlat and maintaining a notebook of cache pages. (Try keeping those updated!!!) Going to GSAK and maintaining the info on my PDA made the process so painless. Now with my PPC, GPXSonar and GSAK, it is easier to maintain my database and export to my MeriPlat's storage card when the need arises by way of GSAK (at my desk) or GPXSonar (when I'm on the road).

So...

1. I download the information from Geocaching.com to GSAK

2. I sort that information and download that in my GPS

3. I then transfer that information to my phone

4. I find a cache

5. I log the find on my phone while I am there

6. Will my log on my phone sync with GSAK when I sync it to my computer?

7. Will I have to still log my find on Geocaching.com?

Now I have 100 of my waypoints and some examples that came with the data base. I still can't figure out how to delete the examples that came with it!  Anyway....I think I just need to play with it, it looks like (from all the different post) that this really is the best out there.

Thank you!

If you can handle Excel, GSAK will be a cakewalk once you get comfortable with the layout.

Start slow and just get the feel of it first. Play with the sampl data and click around. Explore the options, menus, and using the right click on the mouse. That'll really get you going. Don't even begin thinking about macros yet. As a beginner you can do everything you need without using a single macro. You can get into that later if you choose after you see how you use the product. Also, after you play around a bit some of what others talk about will start making more sense to you and you'll get more ideas on how to use it better for your needs.

As for deleting the samples, you can right click on each one and select 'delete waypoint' and choose the option to delete 'this waypoint only'. Also you can check the user flag box on all the sample caches then right click, select 'delete waypoint' then choose to delete 'all user ticked' waypoints.

Go in and play with it for a little while. You'll do just fine.

and the great part is - if you mess it up - all you have to do is reload the PQ and yer back where ya started to play some more -

cc\

I know I am going to be the lone voice here. And at the risk of becoming an outcast I will present an alternative.

First though let me say that GSAK is a GREAT program. For most people it suits them to a T.

For me however the overwhelming number of things it does well.. overwhelms me.

I prefer to use three other tools. The tools are "under the hood" of GSAK I just prefer to use them directly.

First is GPSBabel. This is what allows GSAK to do all it's magic. It is a command line utility that takes a little bit to set up but once it is set up it works like a champ and is very quick. This tool does most of the conversions for GSAK and you can set up a batch file to do all the conversions you usually do. It also allows for upload to the gps without any other tools

Second for me is GPXSpinner. This allows me to combine gpx files, filter out finds, change the name and also the gps icon. I can set up different icons for each cache type, correct coordinates and ignore caches.

Lastly for me I use Watcher to view the GPX files. I like the fact that Watcher views the files directly instead of creating an intermidiate database. This does however prevent you from getting more than five logs in the history. I prefer the user interface over GSAK and find that it is easier for me to input notes into the caches.

Anyway you asked for alternatives. :-)

And like I said GSAK is a fine program but it doesn't fit everyone.

There is one other type of cacher for which in which GSAK, combined with PQs and PDAs, would be useful, the opportunistic cacher. An opportunistic cacher is one who travels a lot and/or spends a lot of time in the car, and finds an idle hour or half hour here and there.

So that's what I am. :laughing:

I travel on business, and try to squeeze in caching as I can. It had me out in the North Carolina heat and humidity last week when sanity dictated that I stay in the air-conditioned hotel room. I also act as a GeoCaching goodwill ambassador, turning on the people that I work with, since that's how I discovered caching.

I also cache with my family when I get the chance (although sanity generally keeps us in the air conditioning until autumn arrives). For this, as well as the opportunistic uses, I find GSAK to be a great tool.

jimmyreno,

I can't believe that you think a single program (GSAK) has a longer learning curve than three seperate programs.

I can't believe anyone thinks moving files between three seperate programs is easier then using a single program.

If you add batch files into the mix, everything gets longer and harder :laughing: (did I say that?)

With GSAK, I click one button and my file is updated. I don't have to check mail nor move the .zip file around! I click a second button and I have a map file with all my caches marked and my Palmdesktop has the cachmate file ready for updating. Oh Yah, that means I have to put the palm into the docking station and hit another button, - "work, work, work' Mel Brooks.

It may be free but its not easier nor conveniant.

If anyone goes back to the GSAK thread from a few months ago, they will see me begging for help with GSAK. I had never used a database program before and was completely lost. :laughing:

Before I figured out how to do the simplest filter, the 21-day trial period was up. :rolleyes:

However, I was using several different programs to manage my Pocket Queries and once I got a bit of a handle on GSAK, everything was a lot more efficient. From GSAK I can export a file to use in Mapsource, from GSAK I export the .pdb file for Cachmate on my Palm, from GSAK I load the waypoints into my GPSr. What a time saver!!

Depending on your experience with databases, GSAK can have a steep learning curve, but it is so worth sticking with it.

If anyone goes back to the GSAK thread from a few months ago, they will see me begging for help with GSAK. I had never used a database program before and was completely lost. :rolleyes:

Before I figured out how to do the simplest filter, the 21-day trial period was up. ;)

However, I was using several different programs to manage my Pocket Queries and once I got a bit of a handle on GSAK, everything was a lot more efficient. From GSAK I can export a file to use in Mapsource, from GSAK I export the .pdb file for Cachmate on my Palm, from GSAK I load the waypoints into my GPSr. What a time saver!!

Depending on your experience with databases, GSAK can have a steep learning curve, but it is so worth sticking with it.

you say you were begging for help -

I sure hope you got it - if I saw your questions I am sure I answered - that is unless someone else answered before me.

for someone with little computer experience or little experience with the types of programs used with geocaching it can be daunting. but this is with any new program - hey! I'm a computer professional and while it is an awesome program I just hate having to use PhotoShop - tho I use several other graphic editors.

This is to say that the real issue here is not GSAK but learning any new program.

GSAK is a 'full featured' database dedicated to Geocaching (and other like persuits). LIke you said it is well worth th effort. I couldn't do geocaching without it.

cc\