How Does Someone Get To Be A Cache Approver?

ShinobiKaze

When this site needs a new reviewer they select one from the geocaching community. How that persons name comes up or is reccomended I don't know. Typically they have some involvement with their local geocaching community and organization in the area they would be reviewing for.

There is no formal process to have a reviewer removed so I would hazard a guess that it's on a case by case basis. There is a email address you can use to notify this site of any problems. It's not on the Contact Us page so I don't know where you find it at.

AgentK12,

As near as I can tell, you need to contact GC.com to set-up an appointment with a shrink for a series of tests (about 6 weeks worth, I hear!). If you pass all those tests and you can convince Jeremy that you can be very hard-nosed and vicious about following the rules, he may invite you to go caching with him and explain why each cache you visit should not have been allowed! :blink:Just kidding!

Actually, GC seeks out those they feel will make good approvers & mods. I don't know of anyone getting the job by applying for it.

As to getting an approver removed, that must be done through E-mail contact with GC.com and explain the why's and wherefore's of the problems you are having with the approver.

John

From what I've heard, if you're asking to be an Admin, then you won't get to be one.

It's kinda like the Skull and Bones Society. You secretly get tapped to be one in the middle of the night, and are rustled out into the woods for some secret initiation ritual.

Basically, if you going to be an Admin, then Admin will let YOU know.

--TT--

ya enforce one guideline and they want you removed :anicute:

It's not just that, it's that One Admin Enforces it yet anotehr doesn't so it forces one cacher to become angered that he has to make concessions and comprimise to get his cache listed. It was a General Question not pointed at any one admin.

But really there needs to be more communications between admins, not right that some approve things yet others stick by the rules (not0 a bad thing but ya know it's kinda liek the But tommy got ice cream how come I don't get any, ahh timmy that's cause your leader is sticking by the rule of no ice cream...)

But it's all done and in the past, time to move on and jsut be happy.

This question has brought up others for me: What if the Approver is also a rabid FTF'er? Unfair advantage?

That would be the cure. As long as there's rope, there will be no approvers using their advantage. :) Lucky for us, we have the worlds greatest approvers and that never happens. Furthermore, they even let us know who their real caching names are. How can you beat that? Make a FTF fanatic an approver! :) Got rope?! :)

OK. Just noticed that the approver for the caches I have submitted has only 3  finds. Confusing...

I'm surprised they have any finds listed at all. Most don't log under their approver account.

Well, I do know a few who cache after dark.

Edited by BlueDeuce
ya enforce one guideline and they want you removed  :laughing:

It's not just that, it's that One Admin Enforces it yet anotehr doesn't so it forces one cacher to become angered that he has to make concessions and comprimise to get his cache listed.

... not right that some approve things yet others stick by the rules

So which one is the bad guy? :laughing:

ya enforce one guideline and they want you removed  :laughing:

It's not just that, it's that One Admin Enforces it yet anotehr doesn't so it forces one cacher to become angered that he has to make concessions and comprimise to get his cache listed.

... not right that some approve things yet others stick by the rules

So which one is the bad guy? :laughing:

Which ever one didnt do it the way he wanted, I guess.

Just wait till you get the bump in the middle of the night and you'll know they want you. And if you ever get picked don't change the guidelines due to emotional changes. Something I have seen done and its just totally unfair for the game as it stands.

dadgum those reviewers for being Human. How dare they!!!!!!!!

It would be nice for us mortals to be able to see the "queue" so that we aren't accused of pestering the approvers when our cache goes unnoticed for a week (or more). I understand that this is all voluntary and that everyone is busy, but just sitting there waiting, too scared to ask "how's it going with the cache queue?" for fear of being marked as impatient, is no way to live. And if the queue really is that long, why isn't GC.com pulling in another reviewer for that area? Maybe cache pages need an "Approved:" date to go along with the "Hidden:" date so people don't wonder why it went two weeks without a find.

Now I'll go sit and wait to see if my cache in the queue ever makes it to the top. :(

It would be nice for us mortals to be able to see the "queue" so that we aren't accused of pestering the approvers when our cache goes unnoticed for a week (or more).  I understand that this is all voluntary and that everyone is busy, but just sitting there waiting, too scared to ask "how's it going with the cache queue?" for fear of being marked as impatient, is no way to live.  And if the queue really is that long, why isn't GC.com pulling in another reviewer for that area?  Maybe cache pages need an "Approved:" date to go along with the "Hidden:" date so people don't wonder why it went two weeks without a find.

Now I'll go sit and wait to see if my cache in the queue ever makes it to the top. ;)

When you get the confirmation email after you have submitted a cache there is a process described in there if its been more than 72 hours and you havent heard anything. Just use that process. Thats what its there for.

Edited by CO Admin
Some of us have a few finds on our reviewer accounts. Mostly events but there are a few with traditional cache finds. Its no biggie either way.

If both have finds, which one is the sock puppet? ;)

Neither.

One is a personal account and one is a Volunteer reviewer account. Both are valid accounts. neither is a sockpuppet. The finds are not duplicated. The finds on my volunteer account are events where I attended as the reviewer.

Edited by CO Admin
When you get the confirmation email after you have submitted a cache there is a process described in there if its been more than 72 hours and you havent heard anything. Just use that process. Thats what its there for.

;) I guess I'll have to take the time to read that before I delete it the next time I submit a cache. I've always assumed it was as useful as the email telling me that I just posted a note to my own cache :laughing: I know I just did... I don't need to be reminded. :laughing:

When you get the confirmation email after you have submitted a cache there is a process described in there if its been more than 72 hours and you haven't heard anything. Just use that process. Thats what its there for.

:laughing: I guess I'll have to take the time to read that before I delete it the next time I submit a cache. I've always assumed it was as useful as the email telling me that I just posted a note to my own cache ;) I know I just did... I don't need to be reminded. ;)

The email telling you that you submitted a cache does a few things. It gives you the URL of your cache and its a receipt that the system actually got your cache and its been assigned a GC#. its a conformation email. if you don't get one the system didn't process your cache submission.

BTW I was wrong :laughing: The information about the procedure is in the Knowledge base not the email.

Its here

Why hasn't my cache been approved?

Category: Geocaching Web Site 

Updated: 3/14/2005 

Answer

All geocaches are reviewed by volunteers, and we ask that they contact you within 72 hours of submitting your geocache. Sometimes they will have additional questions about your cache, and often they will simply approve it based on your cache description. If this doesn't occur, check to see if your cache report went through:

1. Visit your "My Account" page after logging in

2. Look at the right of the page for "My caches awaiting approval"

3. If it isn't listed there, click on "View Archived"

If the cache isn't listed, it unfortunately did not go through and you will need to report it again. If it is listed, click on the name of the cache to read any notes that might be entered by the approver. If there is a note you can respond to them by clicking on the user's name to get to their profile page. If you have clicked the 'temporarily disable' link at the top, you must 'enable' the cache or if you have unchecked the 'Yes, this cache is currently active' box you must re-recheck it before a volunteer can view it.

If this doesnt help AND its been 72 hours without any contact from the reviewer send an email to Contact@geocaching.com and ask that they look into the matter.

Edited by CO Admin
If this doesnt help AND its been 72 hours without any contact from the reviewer send an email to Contact@geocaching.com and ask that they look into the matter.

Valuable info, but what does this have to do with how someone gets to be a cache approver. :rolleyes:<_<

--Marky

Valuable info, but what does this have to do with how someone gets to be a cache approver. :lol::rolleyes:

--Marky

<_< Seriously, if you express a desire the Groundspeak folks will probably keep an eye on you for awhile .

I would suspect it takes a great deal of time and there is not a lot of external reward to this position.

The way you handle ridicule and sarcasm probably makes a lot of difference. :lol:

By the way Marky, what flavor is that ice cream? :blink: