Potential "cigar" Cache

NetworkCacher

I've been thinking about placing a cigar-themed cache in the No. Virgina area for a while now. I want the cache to be more adult-oriented with trade items being cigar-related, such as actual cigars, cutters, cigar bands, etc. I've talked to some caching friends and got some negative feedback about it, particularly the potential for items that aren't "kid-friendly" and that some cachers don't like smoking. Is a clear description with warnings on the cache page enough? What about making it members-only? Should caches like this not even be posted geocaching.com?

I like the idea myself but the cons outweigh the pros in my opinion. I visited a cache recently that's had some items in it since it was placed in 2003. Even if I came upon the cache and saw a nice cigar, I'd not take it and smoke it. I'd be afraid of someone having done something to it.

I highly doubt it'd be approved.

From the cache reporting guidelines.

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled.

Although I like the idea (I'm a cigar smoker), but I can see various problems with this type of cache. Without the proper humidity, a cigar would go dry and stale. Too much humidity, cigar would get moldy. Most of your cigar related items are banned because they're not kid-friendly, like lighters, cutters, etc.

Outside putting cigars in caches, its a great idea. Every cache doesn't have to be filled with kid stuff. I'd love to find cutters, bands ashtrays and other cigar related stuff. Cigars themselves would not be allowed however.

It would be better if it was a high terrain cache that won't draw a lot of kids however. That way you don't have a lot of young'ns visiting it and expecting toys.

As an aside, when I placed my first cache I wasn't aware of the no tobacco rule (there might not have even been one back then), so I placed two H Upmanns in the cache. The cache was dedicated to a friend who lost his life on 9/11 and loved cigars.

I packaged the cigars in plastic using one of those vacuum food sealers.

Over a year later I was there on a maint trip and the cigars were still there. By that time I was aware of the no tobacco rule and pulled them. I was gonna throw them away. A year old and I figured they'd be stale, but I tried one. It was perfect. As fresh as the day I packed it.

I like the idea so much I will smoke a Romeo Y Julieta Bully in its honor. The Cigar General would say, "dadgum the pleasure police!" I have seen some ammo cans converted into decent humidors, but I would be leery about the nay sayers. Perhaps you can create a geocache event/cigar herf? NVA is a bit far, but if you bring it southside toward Fredericksburg I will attend.

Hebrew Hammer

Without the proper humidity, a cigar would go dry and stale. Too much humidity, cigar would get moldy.

Heh, heh....if it was placed anywhere near my location, it would get found and smoked well before the environment could ruin it.

Peace,

TeamRJJO

I like the idea so much I will smoke a Romeo Y Julieta Bully in its honor. The Cigar General would say, "dadgum the pleasure police!" I have seen some ammo cans converted into decent humidors, but I would be leery about the nay sayers. Perhaps you can create a geocache event/cigar herf? NVA is a bit far, but if you bring it southside toward Fredericksburg I will attend.

Hebrew Hammer

JR Cigar sometimes sells cigars in an ammo box. I think its the box holds 50 cigars and they're a pretty good deal. Not the best smokes, but not the worst either and when you're done you have a nice cache container.

i remember back when, i wanted to make cigar punch cutters from cleaned up 9mm shell casings. kinds of a play on what i do for a living. When i asked if it was ok to do it, i was told yes yes yes by several other geocachers, but was asked not to, in the end by TPTB. apparently AMMO with a honed edge for the purposes of cutting cigars is against the immage that they wish for the game to portray. I even acquired about 500 shell casings and was all ready to get a rock tumbler cleaner type thingy to get them cleaned up. i guess people who reload call them brass cleaners or some other thing.

At any rate, if you think you can pull off a cigar cache; and what i mean by pull it off is simply keep the cigars in good condition so they don't go to waste and also keep aminals from getting into it, i say go for it. if gc.com chooses not to list it, you could probably get it listed elsewhere.

In retrospect, i should have made those shell casing cigar cutters. If someone freaked out about it, too bad.

Edited by dboggny

I think it is an awesome idea. I thought about talking to my local cigar store and placing a humidor in their store. This way people could come and trade OR buy there and trade.

I never attempted it because I figured it would not get approved and be considered a commercial cache. But don't get me started on that issue.

It is a cool idea - if you could place it in a store but I wouldn't trade any from an ammo-can or the like.