What Ever Happened To Trading Fairly?

EdDee

LOL...you're gonna love the latest one... ;)

Logged 3 days ago: Partylite Southwest style brass candle holder ($10+ value) exchanged for "Shoe Mitt" (FREE "shower cap" plastic shoe covers)

Not sure who got ripped off more, the guy who took the candle holder or you for spending that much on a candle holder. You can get candle holders for a $1 the DOLLAR store.

Swag spelled backwards is crap

LOL...you're gonna love the latest one... ;)

Logged 3 days ago: Partylite Southwest style brass candle holder ($10+ value) exchanged for "Shoe Mitt" (FREE "shower cap" plastic shoe covers)

I didn't read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested that value is in the eye of the finder, not the original purchaser? Assuming the finder does not appear regularly on 'The Antique Roadshow', they might not be able to tell your $10 candlestick from the dollar store's $1 one or the junk drawer's free one.

Obviously they were expecting that when you took a TB you would leave a TB. Which sounds resonable to me.

Michelle

Indeed? It sounds rather unreasonable to me because it means that if you don't have a TB to leave you cannot take one, even if you can get it further towards its goal.

I hope My TB doesn't end up there...I'd hate for it to languish because visitors didn't happen to have a TB to swap it with.

They're called TRAVEL Bugs, not STATIONARY, or VACATIONING bugs ;)

Which is why I don't pay attention to "TB Hotel rules"...I want MY TB to travel with anyone that can help it along and I figure other TB owners feel the same way. I have no problem with TB hotels, just the sometimes anal-retentive 'landlords' that expect strict rules to be followed. There is a very active "TB Lounge" in Beaverton, OR that I have frequented several times when I lived there, to pick up TB's that I could help along. It was very handy.

I totally agree with the proposal that TB hotels only exist in areas of VERY active geocaching though, a TB hotel can be a great place to make a quick pick-up of TBs to help but not if they are way out of the way and/or difficult to get to. "Hotels" are supposed to be convenient.

Hmmm, I can see both sides of the arguement.

While I agree that TBs are meant to travel and that caches with odd requirements are not in the best interest of the TB, its still the cache owners perogative to place such rules on that cache. As a cacher, if I don't like the rules of that cache I'm free to not hunt that cache. If you don't want a TB in your possession to end up in a cache like that, don't leave it in one. If you don't want your TB that you own to end up in a cache like that, put it in the TBs notes.

Now, what if that TB hotel has a bug that you just have to have? Go find another cache with a bug, grab it, then go trade.

One of our caches is (was!) a TB motel. We started it out with 12 TB's. There are now NONE in the box. The only thing left in the box was an American flag. Whatever happened to trading fairly? Suffice it to say that our TB motel is now just another junk box full of dollar store garbage that hopefully will appeal to someone.

Then there's the TB's that just fall off the face of the earth. What's up with that? People take them and don't log them out or into another cache. Obviously the idea is to make TB's ugly so no one will want to keep them! I've had to email several cachers who have held my cute TB's way to long (3 months or more!), asking them to move them on soon. Some have never even given the courtesy of a response and are STILL holding them!

We enjoy geocaching, but as with any activity, there's always a rotten apple or two in the bunch.

Trade even, trade up, trade fair!!!! Help keep this a fun sport for everyone!

Thanks for letting me vent.

EdDee

You know, I really like geo-caching. I've never placed a cache but I have one completely ready to go. I just need to go out and place it somewhere.

Your experience along with some others experience of misfortune with their caches has just made me decide to make my caches a members only cache. Not that there are not any jerks who are paid members but I would think that a premium member would treat your cache with a little more respect, trade fairly, etc.

Next time you hide a cache try making it a members only cache and see if you have a better experience.

Just my thoughts.

-Jeff B)

LOL...you're gonna love the latest one...  B)

I didn't read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested that value is in the eye of the finder, not the original purchaser? Assuming the finder does not appear regularly on 'The Antique Roadshow', they might not be able to tell your $10 candlestick from the dollar store's $1 one or the junk drawer's free one.

Thanks for the reality check. Nice to know that disposable seran wrap shoe mitts are considered equitable swag. The knowledge will certianly save me some money in future invest on this sport.

Edited by ZillahBillies
This is one of my favorite rants too -

Just put a log in a cache because it was missing - very strange just the log goes missing in a secure, clean, 2 quart jar.

So I go up there and find the cache is full of geo-junk.  [sNIP]

Maybe the log went missing because it was the best thing in the cache to trade for. B)

HA! -

You may be right!

I am gunna replace the whole thing here in a day or so -

tnx

cc\

Most caches hardly have anything worth trading in them, unless they are very demanding to complete. I was suprised when a relative newby located a mentally challenging cache in my area and took the 10 dollar bill out that I left and left a friggin travel bug. I have many other items I hoped to place in the final cache on this one but none would fit. I took a coin out I thought was cool and left a 10 spot.

Most caches hardly have anything worth trading in them, unless they are very demanding to complete. I was suprised when a relative newby located a mentally challenging cache in my area and took the 10 dollar bill out that I left and left a friggin travel bug. I have many other items I hoped to place in the final cache on this one but none would fit. I took a coin out I thought was cool and left a 10 spot.

It's annoying when people trade down severely, but you really have to expect it. I load my new caches up with pretty good stuff, and six months later they are full of McToys and old golf balls. That's the way it goes.

As for leaving a tenner in a cache--if you do that, you are basically making a charitable donation. :unsure:

Most caches hardly have anything worth trading in them, unless they are very demanding to complete.  I was suprised when a relative newby located a mentally challenging cache in my area and took the 10 dollar bill out that I left and left a friggin travel bug.  I have many other items I hoped to place in the final cache on this one but none would fit.  I took a coin out I thought was cool and left a 10 spot.

It's annoying when people trade down severely, but you really have to expect it. I load my new caches up with pretty good stuff, and six months later they are full of McToys and old golf balls. That's the way it goes.

As for leaving a tenner in a cache--if you do that, you are basically making a charitable donation. :unsure:

Don't forget that several McToys can equal the value of a higher priced item. :o

Perhaps we need something like, Trade up, trade equal, trade one for one, or don't trade at all.

Edited by BlueDeuce
ONCE AGAIN. TRAVEL BUGS ARE NOT TRADE ITEMS.

Now that that's off my chest... I've been informed that I'm not allowed to tell cachers to 'get over it' so I won't. But I will tell you that so long as you expect a lot, you'll always be dissapointed.

Uhhh.... So what do you do when you TRADE a TB for something else, technically TB's are Trade Items. I dont believe that you are suppost to keep one TB with you forever, thats not how you play you have to trade it for something else.

Now I know what happens to all of the TB's that go MIA, it looks like people take them and keep them because they are quote " Not trade items."

Uhhh.... So what do you do when you TRADE a TB for something else, technically TB's are Trade Items.

I have to strongly disagree with this. TB's are not trade for swag. They are a unity unto themselves, a different part of the game. There is swag, and then there are TB's.

Just like most TB tags say, "This is no ordinary cache trading item...this is a travel bug!"

They move, but the only time they are "trading items" is if a TB hotel won't take swag and requires a TB-for-TB trade.

As mentioned earlier, mistaking a TB for a trade item usually just slows the progress the TB creator had intended for their little TB. If the instructions on the TB itself says it should be traded, I would adhere. If a TB happens to be placed in a TB hotel that imposes a one-to-one trade rule for TB's, I would think this would be imposing on the intentions and wishes of the person who set loose their TB.

How can someone's cache impose rules on someone else's TB?

:unsure:

I've just been humbled. The individual that made the trade for the candle vs shoe mitt just emailed me with an offer to mail the candle holder back (to which I declined with an apology on my part for being petty enough to even say anything). Whether the individual stumbled across this topic and made the connection themselves, or may have even been emailed by someone else...I shouldn't have put them in that position. Consequently, even if they didn't follow the "trade even or up" guideline, it's mild in comparison to the lack of tact I showed in making personal reference to it. While it would be easier to hide behind my computer screen, I feel it's only appropriate that since I'm the one who made public reference to it, it's only right that I make my apology public as well. Sorry guys. My bad. (Hey, eating crow isn't that bad...kinda tastes like chicken). :unsure:

Edited by ZillahBillies

My humble thought on this is that you should never put anything in a cache that will make you mad if somebody doesn't trade fairly. If you want to put a ten-spot in, fine, but be ready to accept its disappearance with a smile on your face. Once the swag (whatever it may be) leaves your hands, it's subject to the next finder's morality.

My humble thought on this is that you should never put anything in a cache that will make you mad if somebody doesn't trade fairly. If you want to put a ten-spot in, fine, but be ready to accept its disappearance with a smile on your face. Once the swag (whatever it may be) leaves your hands, it's subject to the next finder's morality.

Aren't you going to say anything about the "eating crow" comment??? :rolleyes:

Aren't you going to say anything about the "eating crow" comment??? :anibad:

Oh ouch! "HoppingCrow" just happens to be the first post following mine? What are the odds? LOL

Well, on the bright side...I'm sure I'm single handedly helping dwindle the number of future complaints. For those that even DARE to complain about the equality of trades...please learn from my shame. (Presently looking for a nice big rock to crawl under.) :rolleyes: