Need Ideas For Tbs... Got Any?

GlobeCachers

Try to get a theme going. There is a local cacher here that has over 50 TBs out, most all of them are Die cast tractor toys (John Deere dominates the rest).

I just set up 8 TBs myself ready to go, all die cast WWII airplane models.

The good thing about those little TB chains...they hook to almost ANYTHING!

Just walk around the house, picking out items. I'd like one day log your "Tape dispenser TB", heh.

How about "Just Plain Nuts" Start it off with one nut on the chain. Each person picking up the TB would add a nut. But I think this one may have already been done.

You could use the same concept with "Socket it to me" with sockets. Maybe have a race between Metric Socket it to me and English Socket it to me.

I have several out with a theme going. Cache Viking and CV is off to Visit his Forum Friends. And then there is Viking Escape which is a play up on some Off-topic Forum Friends.

Ivar goes looking for Jackie the Older is a play on this TB Jackie, the Older which I logged 4-6-2005.

Another user sent a similar theme out. Here they are.Cousin Olaf Fell Off The Wagon followed by the search party Bjorn, Rolf , and Sven

Try to get a theme going. There is a local cacher here that has over 50 TBs out, most all of them are Die cast tractor toys (John Deere dominates the rest).

I just set up 8 TBs myself ready to go, all die cast WWII airplane models.

The good thing about those little TB chains...they hook to almost ANYTHING!

Just walk around the house, picking out items. I'd like one day log your "Tape dispenser TB", heh.

Good point. Every time I look at stuff in a cache that I find, I think about whether it might make a good travel bug or not. Right now I have a spark plug (used), that someone placed in a cache, :laughing: and I'm trying to come up with a good goal to make it into a travel bug.

Use your imagination. You'd be surprised at what might happen.

California County Cacher was a keychain that I picked up at a local store which gave me the idea of having it visit every county in California. I was going to suggest you try that in your state, but just looked at your profile and realized that you live very close to me. :yikes: I even went and attempted Just Ducky yesterday, but there were too many muggles around.

The beauty of this is just about anything can be a TB. If you have kids you can maybe take one of their action figures or small dolls to do. If you are a car nut you can get a hot wheels/matchbox of your dream car and send it on it's way. Did you have a favorite toy as a kid? Not sure on your age but the kids of the 80's toys are coming back in full force and are pretty easy to find and send out into the world. Sports fan? Take an item of your favorite team (keychain, starting lineup figure, mcfarlane figure...etc) and give it a goal of making it to the home stadium/park/field if it's far away, or give it the goal of going to the team you dislike most home field. You could even send it on it's way to the Superbowl (Detroit, MI in 2006, Miami, FL in 2007) or give it the goal of making it to the World Series, Stanley Cup finals (ok maybe not this one) or the NBA Finals (and those are over tonight so you'd have to wait untill next year). The latter 3 you'd have to wait untill the end of the season since they are played on the home arenas of the teams in the finals, but you could get the but out there with that goal in mind even if your team doesn't make it. I like the tape dispenser Idea and I've even seen Boss's Stapler out there. I would suggest keeping it moderately small to accomodate more caches. Use something related to what you are "really into". Runner? Biker? Mountain Biker? Hiker? Soccer Player? I think I've beat this down enough now :laughing:. Almost anything you can drill a hole in or has a hole in it can be a TB. Now get one out there and I hope to see it in a cache close to me.

Themes are good.

So are series.

letters.jpg:yikes:

One thing I've learned: People will not read instructions, even if clearly printed on the tag. Making instructions more complex only increases the chances that they will not be followed. Even so, if you have any special requests for your T-Bug, print and laminate a tag with them clearly printed on it, and affix it to your bug. People will NOT visit the tracking page to find out that you want your bug to stay in Arizona before they fly home to Wisconsin with it in their carry-on.

Give your bugs a basic goal, and enjoy watching them move around. If they stray from their goal (ie: a bug that wants to see New England ends up in Idaho :lol: ), just watch them and see how they get back on track. Don't worry too much about them - it only makes it harder to sleep at night.

They'll surprise you, too. A bug that's trying to go from Maryland to California may get there in just a few weeks if someone grabs it on their vacation to DC and takes it home to LA with them. Other times, a bug that's trying to visit new states may end up snowbound for months in a cache placed a few feet from the boundary of a new state.

Remember that there's nothing magical about the little bit of aluminum with the number imprinted on it. When you buy a T-Bug, you buy the rights to that tracking number - the tag is just a nice way of displaying that number and letting people know it's a traveller. If the original goes missing, gets stolen, or is washed away in a hurricane :laughing: , you can either use the copy tag to re-launch the bug, or (my preference) make a new laminated or shrinky-dink tag with the T-Bug logo and tracking number prominently displayed on it. The number is still active, even if the original aluminum tag is never to be seen again.

If you're going to have a lot of bugs, I suggest keeping the copy tag around (a spare bit of wire, cord, or ball chain works well), with the name of the traveller written on it for a quick reference to the tracking number.

Have fun, and let the tides of Geocaching help (or hinder) them as they may.

copy_tags.jpg

Travel Bugs are fun.

I just launched my first TB last week, The Remora. It's nothing more than a new image on a regular TB tag. I'd never seen or heard of anything like it being done before, so... there it is! It's mission: just like any remora, to attach itself to other TB's. I put him on my friend's Batman, and now it's headed out the Pacific Northwest.

8069e9ce-d11d-44f3-974b-79c89d27ba94.jpg

Edited by clandelaney

Go to a flea market or an antique mall. There are all kinds of wacky and unique little items that make great travel-bugs and you'll have a good time in the process. I can't help but wonder what the cashiers are thinking when I come up to the register with all the wacky stuff... "What the @#$% is he buying that for"?? :anitongue:

How about this: "<Your city name> Finder of Good Eats"

The bug's goal would be to stay in your city and find those WONDERFUL, rare hole-in-the-wall eating places which are not chains or franchises, are one-owner local neighborhood joints that you would not otherwise notice, and the food is EXCELLENT. And of course, folks have to post either the coords or the addresses of the places on the TB's page.

I hereby declare this idea to be released under the Sparrowhawk Open Source Bright Idea GPL. Translated from geek-speak to english, this idea is free for anyone to use as they wish, as long as there is no personal commercial profit in it. :ph34r:

Edited by Sparrowhawk
How about this: "<Your city name> Finder of Good Eats"

The bug's goal would be to stay in your city and find those WONDERFUL, rare hole-in-the-wall eating places which are not chains or franchises, are one-owner local neighborhood joints that you would not otherwise notice, and the food is EXCELLENT. And of course, folks have to post either the coords or the addresses of the places on the TB's page.

I hereby declare this idea to be released under the Sparrowhaw Open Source Bright Idea GPL. Translated from geek-speak to english, this idea is free for anyone to use as they wish, as long as there is no personal commercial profit in it. :ph34r:

:laughing: oooooooooooooo, sounds tasty!!!! of course living by Chambersberg (Trenton) NJ, there's lots of those kinds of places.... :laughing:

One thing I've learned: People will not read instructions, even if clearly printed on the tag. Making instructions more complex only increases the chances that they will not be followed. Even so, if you have any special requests for your T-Bug, print and laminate a tag with them clearly printed on it, and affix it to your bug. People will NOT visit the tracking page to find out that you want your bug to stay in Arizona before they fly home to Wisconsin with it in their carry-on.

Well, part of the problem is bugs without goal tags, another part is that TB pages DON'T come in PQ's, so it's tough for paperless cachers to read TB pages "in the field".

I have a personal rule for travel bugs. If it has a goal tag, I won't take it unless I can help it toward it's goal. If it doesn't have a goal tag, I'll take it and try to help it, but if I can't help it, it just goes into a nearby cache, and hopefully the next person can help it along.

Now, for the OP...there's all kinds of travel bugs out there, just about anything will work. There's a cinderblock floating around, tires, bowling balls/pins, toilet plungers (hopefully NEW, not used) and all sorts of toys and stuffed animals.

Every time I look at stuff in a cache that I find, I think about whether it might make a good travel bug or not. Right now I have a spark plug (used), that someone placed in a cache, :blink: and I'm trying to come up with a good goal to make it into a travel bug.

Car Manufacturers may be a goal. or heck electric plants. Auto parts stores, Car dealerships, autoshops, Pictures with mechanics, Pictures with Engines,

There ya go some ideas. :blink:

Edited by Team Rock-it

An idea for TBs make em small. Especially if they are in California which is mostly micro or small caches. You don't have to use the tag just write the number on an object (permanent ink).

A small book so that each person can write their name on it as it travels. Sending off all 4 with a goal to get back to you when the book fills. :blink:

Simple Keychains are also Very good. Pick your favorite animal to go visit zoos.

Sit at home and brainstorm Write down ALL your ideas no matter how silly. You never know if it will work.

:blink: