How To Keep Water Out Of A Cooler

I used a cooler for a container on a cache. I noticed that water is getting inside. What I was going to do is drill some holes under the handles and put a screen over it. Does anybody have another idea really don’t want to do that but looks like that is what has to be done. Also what about putting the stuff in a plastic bag and not drilling the holes? Thanks Russ

From what I understand, you want to drill holes to allow it to drain itself?

But at the same time, wouldn't those holes be allowing even more water in?

I'd say just put everything in plastic bags. I do that with 90% of my trade items no matter what the container..

Oh please don't wrap your cache in a plastic bag. It'll be nasty inside and out.

A. If the container cannot keep out water, don't use it.

B. If the container has to use baggies to keep the contents dry, don't use it. (See A.)

C. If the container gets wet (or damp) from condensation, don't use it. (See A.)

There are caches that are submerged in water that work just fine, so there are probably better selections out there to use as a container.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Every cooler I own will take on water if left out in the weather. They're not designed to be totally waterproof/airtight. More holes allow more moisture.

I'd fill it with beer also & invest in a cheap ammo box. Hard to go wrong with those things.

Good luck tho!

Good advice from some of the previous posters.

Now, can anybody tell me how to keep beer in my cooler? I keep putting beer in it, and shortly afterwards, all the beer seems to be gone.

Just tape a paper sign to your cooler that says "Three of these beers are poisioned! Guess which ones!"

:lol:

Garbage can? I don`t think that would be watertight. Plus if muggles throw garbage in your cache, you can`t really complain...

I`ve seen Rubbermaid containers of about 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet though, those look watertight... well, at least the cover snaps in place, so it should keep water out than a garbage can lid. Those contaners are cheaper than a garbage can too.

hmm, check out this website. i'm sure shipping would be painful, but there are watertight large containers out there.

med.jpg

this one is 31" X 12" X 19"

I have one of those I got from the local surplus store. $25 as I recall, I use it for my emergency box in the truck. The biggest problem with using them for a cache will be getting the thing open.

If I close mine on a warm day then try to open it on a cool day it's a struggle.

Some of the air transport containers I'vve seen have a bleeder valve to solve this problem.

hmm, check out this website. i'm sure shipping would be painful, but there are watertight large containers out there.

med.jpg

this one is 31" X 12" X 19"

I have one of those I got from the local surplus store. $25 as I recall, I use it for my emergency box in the truck. The biggest problem with using them for a cache will be getting the thing open.

If I close mine on a warm day then try to open it on a cool day it's a struggle.

Some of the air transport containers I'vve seen have a bleeder valve to solve this problem.

If you drill a hole in the side of it, they aren't effected by temp or pressure diffs. :lol: