Are They Made Of Gold?

CT Trampers

Ok, I know I'm asking for it, but seriously, what is the big deal with the White Jeeps?

Are they made of gold? I can't understand the tight grip some seem to have on them.

I realize that many yellow ones have gone missing, but such is the nature of the travel bug.

I'm reading things about cachers adpoting them, figuring out a better tracking system, etc. and it seems a bit over the top IMO. (I was at an event this weekend, and there was a cacher who had a bunch of them "carabinered" to their belt loop. Cachers were allowed to log a find, but not allowed take one to move. It seemed like this person was enjoying their new found "celebrity" status, as people were almost begging for one when they saw the Jeeps. Don't tease us with them, if you can't let any go, then don't bring them at all. )

What's next, all those who pick up a white Jeep will have to sign a form saying that we promise to move them along?

At first I was very excited to get my hands on one. Now, with all the hoopla I'm already turned off by them. Let those who have them play "king of the Jeeps", and hopefully they can decide the proper way to distribute them. Don't be surprised when they start disappearing though-- as I said, that's the nature of the Travel Bug, the "cooler" the item, the better chance it has of being taken. Let 'em go and hope for the best.

Edited by CT Trampers
Ok, I know I'm asking for it, but seriously, what is the big deal with the White Jeeps?

Are they made of gold? I can't understand the tight grip some seem to have on them.

I realize that many yellow ones have gone missing, but such is the nature of the travel bug.

I'm reading things about cachers adpoting them, figuring out a better tracking system, etc. and it seems a bit over the top IMO. (I was at an event this weekend, and there was a cacher who had a bunch of them "carabinered" to their belt loop. Cachers were allowed to log a find, but not allowed take one to move. It seemed like this person was enjoying their new found "celebrity" status, as people were almost begging for one when they saw the Jeeps. Don't tease us with them, if you can't let any go, then don't bring them at all. )

What's next, all those who pick up a white Jeep will have to sign a form saying that we promise to move them along?

At first I was very excited to get my hands on one. Now, with all the hoopla I'm already turned off by them. Let those who have them play "king of the Jeeps", and hopefully they can decide the proper way to distribute them. Don't be surprised when they start disappearing though-- as I said, that's the nature of the Travel Bug, the "cooler" the item, the better chance it has of being taken. Let 'em go and hope for the best.

Are you asking why people want to find a jeep?

or asking is the hype too much?

or complaining that people are getting strung out trying to keep them from going MIA/being stolen?

or complaining about the event gangbang you seen?

or something else?

and no I don't think they're made of gold.

Is there WAY to much hype about the Jeep TB's. Well yes, and no. I say yes. I think you do too. But there is a large population of Cachers who seem to thrive on it. I say, good for them. Have fun with it. WE (you and I) will never understand all their enthusiasm. But we don't have to play, if we don't want to.

I did find a Cache with a Yellow Jeep in it once. It was interesting to examine it, and then just put it back. I wouldn't mind the same experience with a White Jeep.

All I ask in return from the TB Community, is don't complain to me or call me irresponsible because I don't play that game. I think we can all get along.

"Are you asking why people want to find a jeep?"

-no

"or asking is the hype too much?"

-yes

"or complaining that people are getting strung out trying to keep them from going MIA/being stolen?"

-not complaining, just wondering why some people get so bent out of shape over it.

"or complaining about the event gangbang you seen?"

- What? I think your definition differs from mine. :P If "gangbanging" is letting cachers log a find on a TB but not allowing them too take possession, then yes, I'm complaining about that.

"or something else?"

-Nope

"and no I don't think they're made of gold. "

AWESOME!

Edited by CT Trampers

See, last year we had these little bitty YJTB's and now we have these BIGGER, BETTER WJTB's!!! The doors open and they have frictrion drive, and they all have NAMES. The neat thing is that you get all attached to them and then they wind up in the TB Graveyard. How fun is that?! You *HAVE* to find one and get a WJ icon on your stats page, if you don't you aren't cool.

Mine are named Elric and Shadoe. Those are cool names if you ask me. I bet all 5,000(?) of them go missing by the end of the contest. (Unless nobody can FIND Shadoe ... hee hee)

No problem, glad to clear things up for ya. :P

- What? I think your definition differs from mine. :P If "gangbanging" is letting cachers log a find on a TB but not allowing them too take possession, then yes, I'm complaining about that.

Hmm, maybe I was supposed to use gang raped? as explained here.. Anyways, their numbers are just tossed about and logged by whoever wants....

-  What?  I think your definition differs from mine.  :P  If "gangbanging" is letting cachers log a find on a TB but not allowing them too take possession, then yes, I'm complaining about that.

Hmm, maybe I was supposed to use gang raped? as explained here.. Anyways, their numbers are just tossed about and logged by whoever wants....

:P Hmm, ya' learn somthing new everyday. Thanks for the link Welch-

(I was at an event this weekend, and there was a cacher who had a bunch of them "carabinered" to their belt loop. Cachers were allowed to log a find, but not allowed take one to move. It seemed like this person was enjoying their new found "celebrity" status, as people were almost begging for one when they saw the Jeeps. Don't tease us with them, if you can't let any go, then don't bring them at all. )

:D:D:P:P ROFLMAO!

body piercing Jeeps to ourselves now are we?! :D

I too just would like the icon, then move them along; Mine are for a specfic mission.

:D Leslie

I think I have two or three yellow jeeps to my name. I found them without really trying. I assume I will eventually come across a white one the same way. So until then, don't turn your back on me if you have one in your possession!!! .... just kidding! I enjoy driving Mrs. Ax's mini. That's small enough for me!!! :P

Well the big deal to me is having them around in order to participate in the contest every month. I love entering contests and sweeps! So if people are going to keep them, I hope they'd at least wait till after the contest ends.

Other than that, once I found and logged one, the hype would have been over.

Some people don't even bother understanding how people react to "hype" (er marketing). You should be taking notes, people make a lot of money taking advantage of :P behavior from marketing. :P

Ideas like adoptation to prevent them from disappearing are basically backlash from the YJTB promotion last year when some people hoarded them and prevented (intentionally or not) others from participating in the find and the contest.

Are they made out of gold? Depends on the perspective. I can go off on a tangent about how gold's unique color and rarity have been exploited to make its perceived value higher than substances more essential for survival... but like gold, it's tough to drink, eat, breathe, or grow something on top of WJTB's. :D

Edited by budd-rdc

Most of them I have seen in this area have been "grabbed" at events so people can get the icon, I have found 2 in actual caches (since I have never been to an event), I drove 35 miles to get one, 25 or so to get the other one and did so just so I could get the photo-op to submit (yeah, I love jeeps and have driven one since I was 15), then I move em along to another cache, the thing I find funny is that once they are in a cache they seem to sit there for awhile, I guess its not as easy as picking one up on a picnic table and logging it ?, and to be honest, I think the current method of moving them out into the "wild" is seriously flawed, unless you think an event grab is the same as actually looking for a cache, just my 2 cents..

... what is the big deal with the White Jeeps?

Good point. I never understood why the yellow ones were snapped up by "collectors". If you want the icon in your Found column then log the thing and move it on. :P

... what is the big deal with the White Jeeps?

Good point. I never understood why the yellow ones were snapped up by "collectors". If you want the icon in your Found column then log the thing and move it on. :P

yeah doesn't make much sense for a $0.99 matchbox car :D (now a $1.97 Maisto)

I guess to some people it's a status symbol. It's the same reason hot wheels collectors search for treasure hunt vehicles - they're hard to find and thus more valuable. Whether that value is monitary or status is irrelevent.

Personally, I want the icon. Hey, if I win a Jeep, that's cool too.. But I want all the icons on my stats page.

I guess to some people it's a status symbol. It's the same reason hot wheels collectors search for treasure hunt vehicles - they're hard to find and thus more valuable. Whether that value is monitary or status is irrelevent.

Personally, I want the icon. Hey, if I win a Jeep, that's cool too.. But I want all the icons on my stats page.

exactly, I just want the icon.

gimme gimme gimme!