Newbie Needs Some Help

JoiRunR

So I finally went out on my own (with family, but without any experienced cachers) and I only found 1 out of 4 caches today. I still had alot of fun hiking and seeing the new places, but it would still be nice to get to the "prize". My son (5 yrs) was pretty upset that we didn't find them all. I know we were really close (according to my GPS III) but I would love any hints or clues on how to get better at finding the caches...and I started out with the 1/1. Thanks for helping out a newbie...and I am still excited to keep searching.

Mahna Mahna

As far as finding them or not - who knows, maybe the cache has gone missing for some reason. Rule #1: Do not take "Did Not Find" (DNF) cases personally. You might even be right!

Anyway, one thing I look for is piles of sticks that seem unnatural - Nature does not drops sticks in nice, parallel piles in one place - even in the cracks of rocks. That is usually a good indicator.

Generally, whenever I get within 30' of where my GPS says there is a cache, I start looking for places *I* would hide a cache. Behind that tree? Hrm, maybe. In the brushes over there? Maybe. That is part of what makes it fun. I've even had a devious cache hider wrap their cache (a peanut butter-style jar) in bark and lay it next to a fallen tree of similar bark! That was a toughie. Also I've found them in trunks of rotting trees, etc. Once, I found a cache shoved so far under a rock you needed to pull a string attached to the cache to get it out. That was cool...

Mainly, the best thing is to just think sneaky, once you are close to the area.

And don't sweat the DNF'ing. It happens, no big deal. I've DNF'd some super easy caches, too... lemme tell ya. <_<

Make sure you read the past logs to see if they offer some hints, or if past cachers have also had difficulty.

I looked and looked and looked for a couple of caches one day only to find out after I got home that both had gone missing since I last updated the data in my Palm Pilot. <_<

When I started I had two experienced cachers along. FroggieT already had about 120 caches if I recall correctly. You learn what to look for, what's "out of place," or "touched by human hands." Maybe you can get in touch with locals and have an outing. Try regional forums. I really believe in that approach.

I agree do not let a DNF bug you to much. I have had several and after posting them found out the cache was actually gone. Do make sure you check the logs prior to going out to make sure when the last find was.

Remember this is all about the fun of finding it, if you always saw the cache right away it would be a lot less fun. <_<

Cliff

I hear you about the family, especially the young one being disappointed. I am quite new at this also.

I always read the hint and I scan all the logs for extra tips and jot them on the first page of the description (so I don't have to print 5 pages).

I think one of my obstacles I need to overcome is reaching into places that make me feel uncomfortable. Started bringing a hiking staff and work gloves now.

Attack any local hides that are "family friendly".

I get discouraged about the hides that you get to the coordinates, and then you have to scour through 50 boulders....grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I also go withing a few days of an item being found. Look for the weeds that seem to have been stomped recently.

Keep your chin up, or you'll run into a tree!!!

I start looking for places *I* would hide a cache.

Yes, this helps some times. But beware of the opposite! I have missed caches when I've been thinking: "Under that dirty stone! Nah, he wouldn't have hidden it there, would he? I wouldn't." Then I search on, forget about it and it's a DNF. Next occasion I try the cache I lift the stone, and there it is.

The good hiding places are those that don't look like hiding places from outside.

You did not state what kind of caches you did not find. Micros can be very challenging for the beginner. Try more traditional caches first, and read the past logs trying to determine their difficulty before choosing them. Like previously said .... go out with some experienced cachers to learn the ropes. It gets better with experience. Enjoy the hunt even if you do not make the find! <_< ImpalaBob

We are new too and sometimes the DNF's discourage me, but just a little bit. Then I remember how much fun it is finding something and move on! :) One thing that helps is to think "outside the box" We recently went searching for a combo. The boys and I looked for at least 1/2 hour if not longer. It was frustrating because we knew we were in the right spot. Clue read "at the end of the red bridge (we were there) stop and reflect. OK, the bridge passed over water so we looked at our reflection, we looked under the bridge, around the bridge etc. Couldn't find it. Came home, logged a DNF, emailed the owner for another clue. Know what it was? Underneath the piece of reflector tape! DUH! I think I'll claim hayfever brain for that one. :D

Anyway, good lesson for your kid, you don't always get what you want, but don't give up, and try again.

After a while you will learn to spot the semi-unnatural piles of leaves, sticks, rocks, bark, grass, pine needles, twigs, gravel, dirt - combinations of all the above that hide the boxes.

Also look for signs that somebody else stood there, sat there, laid down there, poked around in there etc.....

Look for camo tape, plastic, metal, unnaturally straigt edges etc.

Think vertical - many caches are not on the ground, or at eye level. Look up, look down. Think devious thoughts about how hard this can be.

Look within 30 feet or so in all directions from where your GPS is reading "ground zero".

DNF are a part of the hobby. Not a good part but a part nun-the-less. Always be aware of what size container you are searching for. Size does matter. This helps in focusing your search to an area that will hide that size cache. It takes a lot of cover to hide a regular size ammo can. A micro (depending on the size) can be anywhere. If they are nice they might tell you what size micro (bison tube, waterproof match container, pill bottle) you are searching for. This again helps to narrow your search area....maybe. :) We all have DNF...the ones that nag at me are the 1/1 where somebody will log "little six year old Suzie walked right up to it..." and I spend 30 minutes and still can't find it. :D

Happy Hunting... :D

You did not state what kind of caches you did not find. Micros can be very challenging for the beginner. Try more traditional caches first, and read the past logs trying to determine their difficulty before choosing them. Like previously said .... go out with some experienced cachers to learn the ropes. It gets better with experience. Enjoy the hunt even if you do not make the find! :) ImpalaBob

This is very true. I just started caching a couple of months ago myself. I got lucky on a couple of micro's right off the bat, but it was due to the GIGANTIC stack of sticks they were hidden under.

After that, I stuck to regular size caches for a while until I found my feet. Regular caches, being larger, are not as easy to disguise into the surrounding environment (though it can be done), and tend to have more obviouse tell-tale signs of their location.

BTW, good to see someone else out here with a trusty old GPS III like mine...they don't make 'em any more. POWER TO ANTIQUES!

--Chino

Here's a piece of advise that I have never read here.

Take off you sunglasses.

Often, I'll wear my sunglasses while driving to the location. I jump out and start looking with them still on my face. I can never spot the subtle a cache hidden in a shady spot if I have them on.

It can happen to everyone. I have over 1400 finds and one a few weeks ago was just a film canister hanging in a bush. I spent over 30 minutes searching it from every direction. Got a hint that it wsa easy to find. i went back a day later and spotted it in seconds! Once I spotted it it looked like it was out in the open and I don't know how I missed it. Sane thing happened with a 3x5"can hanging in a tree Sunday.

The first time my friend and I went caching, we had 4 EASY caches loaded in his GPS. Guess what, we spent an entire day and did not find a SINGLE one! We were miffed, of course, but that did not stop us from caching or from having a BLAST! Now I'm totally hooked on it and hope to really ramp up my success rate and build a profile. Don't let it discourge you too much, keep that spirit.

Thanks to all who responded to let me know that I am not an idiot. I went back today and tried again for 2 of the 3 that I missed yesterday. Guess what...I found them. One was a normal cache, hidden under some "too neatly" placed sticks., and the other was a micro, which was so obvious I had to laugh at myself for not finding it the first 2 times. This is way too much fun. Thank you for all the great hints.

Mahna Mahna

We've been at this a little over a year, taking winter off, and we are far from experts. We don't seek caches every day or even every weekend, and have found only 33. But, for what it's worth...

When you are heading out with the little guy, consider going for some 1/1 caches. Although

cache-rating is not an exact science, going for the terrain 1, difficulty 1 caches will increase the chance of success and lessen his frustration (not to mention yours.)

But also, help him appreciate the quest itself. Look for caches in interesting areas. Take short hikes and look for birds or bugs or whatever along the way. Make finding the cache a bonus on an already rewarding outing for him. In fact, that is our caching philosphy: we find someplace we want to hike, then go to the Web site to see if there are any caches in the area.

You'll also find that, the more caches you do find, the more you will start to recognize the likely hiding places. There are a couple of active cache-hiders in our area, and we have even begun to understand their hiding patterns, which also helps.

Don't let the DNFs frustrate you, or him. And don't be too embarrassed to post the DNF's in the logs. The cache may indeed have gone missing, and the only way the cache owner may know that is if a few seekers post DNFs.

Edited by The Old Bet Brigade
...I had to laugh at myself for not finding it the first 2 times. This is way too much fun....

Man, I've had my fair share of caches like that. Its frustrating when you can spend a bunch of time looking for a cache and once you finally do, you can't believe it took as long as it did. There been a coulple of caches that I've looked for multiple times, and when I finally did find them I felt like a total fool.

You've got the right attitude....being able to laugh at the situation makes it all a lot more fun!

Yep, I am also new, and went on a geohike, I found the first two no problems tried for the third, left it got four and five and went back for number three. I studied the clue was told "Trust your GPSr" I hunted high and low, I found a dead cat, an animal graveyard, was in a small cave, got badly stung, was totall demented, climbed a rock so far up I had to find another way back down. I was given a further clue, went back the next day and eventually found it, after climbing up the rock and looking down, it was at an intermittent height behind a rock but when viewed froma standing postion I completely missed it. I second the other bits of advice about looking in "normal" places then I think what is" normal"?. I have also tried to take the direct route from A to B (at school I was taught that is the shortest route) but alas I have found myself waist deep in bracken, stinggy nettles and thistles. One time I had to cross three fields to get back to the main road (feet soaking, trousers all mudy) get to my car and find I could drive to within a few feet from the cache. All in all it's a learning process, and I don't think there are any short cuts.

Just a couple of tips to bear in mind:

1. Even after 300+ finds (an untold numbers of dnfs!) I still always keep a 1/1 cache handy when I go out for those 3 and 4 stars. That way if I dnf the stumpers, I (usually, but not always) don't come home utterly empty-handed!

2. DNFs are a very crucial part of the game. After, all if we found every blessed cache on the 1st try - why we'd soon be bored silly and lose interest in the game, yes? Indeed, it seems to me that it's precisely the posssssibility of NOT finding a cache that keeps us ever seeking another, and another, and another...

One time I had to cross three fields to get back to the main road (feet soaking, trousers all mudy) get to my car and find I could drive to within a few feet from the cache. All in all it's a learning process, and I don't think there are any short cuts.

OMG :P

I have cursed my own soul for doing that on more than one occasion! I hike, well bushwhacked, 1200 vertical feet up a mountain in the desert heat, just to find out that there was a road that came up the hill from THE OTHER side.

I don't have a ton of caches under my belt, but after my second cache even I as a newbie figured out that aerial maps can be your best friend. For local caches, I try it the first time with just the cache description, but for second attempts I'll review the aerial maps available at maps.google.com and terraserver.microsoft.com. For caches that are a long way from home, I'll generally capture a couple of aerial maps and bring 'em along "just in case" right from the get go. It can sure save your bacon from tons of bushwhacking when there's a road or a clear trail that just happens to approach the cache from an unexpected direction!

..Chris..