Car Accident Cache?

vree

i know that a cache exists to log if you get a speeding ticket: GC38D4 Flits

does one exist for car accidents that happen while caching? i'll be hankering to get a cache in any way i can these next few weeks...

make sure you all wear your seatbelts while in a car. it can save your life too. i :P air bags.

f903172b-7a11-4d8c-9c72-962c48ee4cc6.jpg

that was a 99 toyota camry. passenger compartment mostly intact. a few stitches on my knee and a broken foot. my passenger was not broken, but very sore and bruised up. we're waaaay lucky to walk away from it.

2d168ae0-5588-45bc-b39a-08d7815481d9.jpg

actually, the red car on the left was the other car involved in the crash. they decided to turn left in front of me while i was driving along a two lane highway.

Edited by vree13

I don't know if this would be considered an accident, since it was probably stolen, then trashed and then dumped at this site. I believe there are others of these placed by the same cacher. He places them to bring attention to them. After a while of cachers visiting, the wrecks at this site were finally cleaned up from the desert (almost) wilderness. I remember this one quite fondly because while I was looking around for the cache's hiding place, I came across a small lizard. I can't be for sure because of the obstructions, but it may have been a Gila Monster. I decided it was time to give up for the day.

I came back with my team mate quite a while later and we eventually found it.

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.
Devil's Hammock log we were rearended by a sweet apologetic teen who said, "I wasn't going too fast!" and "I sneezed, and I when looked up, there you were" this on a flat straight paved 2 lane through a state forest. Sigh.... at least no one was hurt.. At least one Florida cacher has died on the highway. I thought about providing a link, but I'm not sure that's appropriate. Anyway, all kinds of hyperventilating about snakes (yikes) - it's the DRIVING.....

Glad to hear you are mostly OK vree13. sbell111 was in a pretty bad wreck last year, and I think I took more than a few stiches and an ankle cast to get fixed up.

There's a forum thread out there somewhere. But back OT-I don't know of any auto crash caches, but ther are a few airplane ones like:

Warthog Down

Mt. Tom B-17 Memorial

I think there is/was also one in Harriman State Park in NY but a quick search didn't give up the url.

Glad to hear you are mostly OK vree13. sbell111 was in a pretty bad wreck last year...

I'm glad you are both OK. If you start to hurt in a few days (weeks), go back to the doctor. I thought I made it through with just a bit of facial plastic surgery. Unbeknownst to me, I had a cracked vertebrate and a herniated disc that escaped the initial MRI. Almost a year later, I may need back surgery. Here's my thread. A picture of my beloved Grand Cherokee is further down the thread.

Also, do not be in a rush to settle with the insurance company. Wait a month or so to ensure that your have no other injuries. Don't hesitate to call an attorney.

thanks for the advice and kind words. and thanks for the link to your thread, sbell. i'm glad you made it out of that relatively okay. this is my first accident and it's interesting to go through this process... it's all very surreal.

i did not waypoint the crash, but my gps was on because i was between caches and i had used the gps to try to give coordinates to the 911 dispatcher. they didn't help at all because the first responders are not equipped with gps units. i think that's unfortunate given the ubiquity of gps technology these days. i was on vacation and was unfamiliar with the area and couldn't give an accurate description of where i was on the highway. when i gave the nearest cross-street name listed on the gps map, she said she didn't have that street name in the system. it turns out the city semi-recently took the names off of streets and started numbering them so sullivan street (listed on the gps map and also on MS streets & trips) is now something like 68th street. luckily some US forest rangers were nearby and pulled up to help. i handed them my phone and they gave the dispatcher the location.

i am lucky that it was a car on car collision. i am glad that your jeep handled the collision so well, sbell. and thanks again for the thread link. i know now to turn off lights at night if someone is coming head on. my accident happened in broad daylight but it's always good to learn defensive driving techniques.

I placed The Crash Cache near the location of a crash I had while caching. Flipped the car 1.5 times (maybe 2.5 times) and crawled out of the car without a scratch. I actually quit caching -- for almost two weeks! I now practice responsible caching! The first shot is after the wrecker flipped it back over. The second shot is where/how the car came to rest.

c93c2816-f870-4937-a4ab-8a548b19e2b8.jpg779e2a31-15e4-4859-a048-d652c86edc61.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what would you folks think of a car accident memorial multi-cache? One idea is to get people to drive along a stretch of road to count the number of roadside memorials. Another would be to use the names on those memorials as part of the clue.

Or perhaps use the cross street number as part of a clue.

I know some people would consider this ghoulish while others might not care...which is why I'm soliciting opinions.

GeoBC

i know that a cache exists to log if you get a speeding ticket: GC38D4 Flits

does one exist for car accidents that happen while caching? i'll be hankering to get a cache in any way i can these next few weeks...

make sure you all wear your seatbelts while in a car. it can save your life too. i :laughing: air bags.

f903172b-7a11-4d8c-9c72-962c48ee4cc6.jpg

boy if that was my 93 Geo Metro, I would be dead!

boy if that was my 93 Geo Metro, I would be dead!

We met with the AD regarding my crash. She didn't appear to be really interested in pushing the case hard, so we asked her what she drove. She explained that she drove a Honda Accord. We asked her if she had any kids. She told us that she had a six year old daughter. When we asked her how she and her daughter would have fared if it had been her instead of me and my Grand Cherokee, she got on board.

Edited by sbell111