First Ever Geo Cache

hyperman74

i found my first cache and wanted to talk about it so i made this thread beacause i figured other people might also.

I found my first ever geocache today. i went for this one because it was extreamly close to my house my gps led me right to it and when i found it i thought to myself that it was awsome camoflage because i thought it was trash. when i opened it it was filled with stuff i traded a shot glass for a log in the log book, 2 beer magnets and a travle bug that i plan to take to europe and i have to keep telling my self (don't even think about it) because im tempted to just go over evry other day and take the new stuff out.

P.s. sorry bout the puntuaion.

Edited by hyperman74

its great you found your 1st cache

welcome to the club :)

the great thing about cacheing is trading items in and out of caches . pick out something cool and leave something cool for the next cacher to find . If everyone does that you know you will find something cool in everycache you visit . as for the travel Bug unless you are going to europe in the next few weeks and know you will be cacheing there place the TB back into a cache The owner would like that :) soon the best part of grabing a TB is seeing where it ends up after it leaves your hands

I've come to enjoy the hike and or area the cache brings you to, more then the actuall trading of items once I get there. But now and then I find something I really like, so Ill leave something good in its spot. I like to carry about 10 trading items on me at all times. I have a neat Hi-Tec backpack.

First you need to check to see what the travel plans for that Travel Bug are. You don't want to take it to Europe if it is wanting to go to Washington or if it is on it's last leg to getting home. I have a TB whose journey was to go to Disney Land and Disney World and then come back home. It has met it's two goals and it is only four or five states from making it back home. It would tick me off for the Bug to be left in Europe when it is so close to being home. Now if they took the Bug to Disney Europe and got some more Disney Character signatures and then brought it back home would be wonderful. So be sure to check the goal of the TB before you buy it a passport.

Well, first off, welcome to the game!

The first cache I found was THIS ONE. My sister had heard about Geocaching, and when my work bought a few GPS units I decided to give it a try, so me, my sister, her husband and my wife decided to go out the next weekend and find a few. I spent a while looking through caches in the area of Las Vegas, and decided to try that one and a couple of others in the area as they all sounded fun and easy.

SO we get to the area and this cache is the first we get to. The cache wasn't far off of a highway that we had all been on many times, but there was something very cool there that we never knew existed. I followed the arrow on the GPS until I got to ground zero, and we all started hunting. It turned out that I was practically standing on it!

We found five caches that day, and all five were excellent. I'd say that years later, and after finding almost 200 caches that those five still rate towards the top!

Yo, I'm new to geocaching and just did my first one this morning because it was really close to where I live. I was great! The cache was great, the hike was great, and the view was great (hey I can see my house from here!)!!! The best part is right after seeing it and realizing that I found it!! I heard of geocaching from a friend who went and I decided I wanted to try since I just got myself a GPS for camping. I'm from Phoenix, AZ and have lived here for most (if not all) of my life. I enjoy airsoft, hiking, camping, blowgunning, hunting and anything else that has to do with outdoors and guns!! I'm hooked on geocaching!!! :)

My very first was frozen solid in its hiding spot. I was so excited and so bummed at the same time. Couldn't sign the log or nuffink, and I'd worked so hard for it. Okay, it was an easy 1/1 in a suburban park, but I was new and green and did everything wrong first time out. I went back and signed the logbook in the Summer and made it official.

After another Winter of freezing in place, though, the container was shot, the logbook and most of the swag had vanished or gotten soaked and the owners had moved. I emailed and asked if they'd like me to replace it. That felt really cool, rehabilitating my first cache. Shame about the logbook, though.

My First Cache was in the town that I live at a place I have been many times.

The cache was much closer to the edge of a cliff than I had ever though of venturing before. I was with a coworker at the time. We were both laid off for a short period. He IM'ed me that he bought a GPSr and wanted to know if I wanted to try that geocaching thing we had read about on Slashdot about a year earlier. I felt a little guilty for going out and playing around instead of jobhunting, but that was quickly forgotten once we headed out. He had picked out some caches and did all the config work on his new GPSr. All I had to do was come along and help search.

It was quite a bit more exciting than I had expected once we found the container. It was at that point that I figured out the whole take something leave something rule. I took an old key off my keyring and left it. My log entry said something liek 'left key to treasure'. Well that was a lie, it was actually the key to my old apartment. I took a toy car. We went to the drugstore after that so I could stock up on trade items. I bought some 'homies' from a vending machine.

We ended up doing three more caches that day until it got dark. I was hooked and bought my own GPSr within a week!

Almost a year ago! I got a GPSr from the Marlboro Catalogue, and read about geocaching in the Newark Star-Ledger. I checked out some cache pages, and found one not far off the trail I maintain. I did a pathetically bad job of bushwhacking, and found Terrace Pond Cache. Note: it's not an easy terrain, but one I was familiar with.

422 caches later, I'm hooked! Now, we're planning our vacation to do a lot of geocaching, and benchmarking. Might break 500 by the time I'm back.

Well my 1st geocache turned out not to be such a plesant experience. We had found the cache and were logging the book and we heard something hitting through the leaves of the trees, then I turned around only to see a kid on the other side of the Lake shooting at us with a BB gun. So I hope your 1st cache experience was better than mine.

This was our first cache. Unfortunately, it was stolen at some point and was archived. It was the closest one to our house at the time, about five miles away.

It was funny reading the log again after all this time, not because it sounded so newbie-like, which it really doesn't. It was because my wife wrote the log. I think that is the only time this has ever happened (maybe one other). I think on the next couple I wrote the logs, but pretended I was her. After that, it was obvious that she wasn't nearly as interested in it as I was, so I dropped that pretense right there and then and started writing logs as myself.

But I still to this day carry the "Balboagirl" moniker. It's almost just to late to change it now. No one would know who I am.

This is the first cache we ever tried. Turns out that they had tried before ,but got shot down. here

I didn't have the printout so I wasn't sure what I was looking for. A few months later, Star and I found our first cache as a team. We made a classic newbie mistake and parked 1/2 mile away instead of parking in the park which would put us maybe 0.1 miles away.

Wulf

This is a great game, My 6 yo son found our 1st, :P he was so excited,(I must admit , I was too) we have found 5 now. I've really enjoyed the locations of some we've found, I would have never gotten to see these areas, if not for caching. See ya on the trail.

My first was a micro hidden in a park a few blocks from my home. I had just discovered GC.com, and ran out with my old Garmin to look for the closest cache. Turns out I had to walk along a narrow ledge above rocks and surf, through broken glass, but I found it. Although listed as a micro, the cache actually had a few small trade items in it.

Yeah, I was hooked.

The first Geocache I found was back in March of last year. It involved a long uphill hike in a park/open preserve near where I live. I was actually a spotter for my brother who've had a GPSr for a few years before he found out about Geocaching.com. It was also his first find.

I didn't sign up as a member of Geocaching.com until about 5 months later, but by then I had done more spotting and had gained a lot of search experience. I was fortunate enough to run into two of the master hiders in the area on my first official day as a Geocacher in July of last year. I ran into some of their hides that day and realized the abundance of creativity in the sport, which is when I got hooked. :lol:

Alittle over four years ago, I found this cache. A few weeks before, I had seen a story about the game on Tech TV. I thought it looked fun, so I bought a GPS 3+ on ebay. The day it arrived, my wife and I went over to the location (it was just a few miles from our house) and climbed the hill. A few minutes of searching and we turned it up.

We had three "firsts" in the same day --

First find WITHOUT using a GPSr

First find WITH a GPSr

First DNF

We went up to Greenville (Furman University) for L's birthday, and she wanted to do some caching while we were there. (We were actually introduced to the sport by our Sunday School teachers a while back, but this was our first outing alone ...) The first cache, I almost instinctively knew where it would be, and it turned out to be correct. No need for the GPS on that one. The second was near a new section of campus (a "Meditation Garden"). Very nice to visit, and the cache itself was a nice find. The third, supposedly "extremely easy", gave us a fit. We did discover some new trails on campus while hunting this one, but after wandering around for about an hour (right where the GPS said it should be), we gave up on it. (Wasn't missing, though, according to plenty of other logs from other people since then ...) Haven't been back to find it yet.

Our first was a fairly uneventful virtual.

The next was a traditional that is now a mutli. Before it changed it was a Tupperware container under a statue.

Of a woman.

Under her dress.

Right by a busy road.

NO way to be discreet there! <_< Ya get some mighty funny looks when you are a big burly guy lyin on the ground with your arm up under the dress of a statue! :laughing: