Gps For Starting Out

Almost any unit will do the job. I'm using Lowrance iFinder H2O:

http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/ifinderh2o.asp

My iFinder H2O Plus (package includes iFinder H2O, MapCreate Topo software, 32 Mb memory card and LEI card reader) was $253 including shipping. Page Computers has very good price on the same set:

http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/pro...uct%5Fid=633544

Without maps you could pick it up for $170 + shipping:

http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/pro...uct%5Fid=633541

Or Lowrance iFinder Pro for $148 without maps and for $221 with maps (same place).

You could find manuals and download emulator software (runs on PC) from Lowrance web site:

http://www.lowrance.com/

A GPS that is good for beginners is the Meridian Gold GPS, you can get the Meridian Gold GPS with an SD memory card, then later get the Topo software and maybe even the Direct Route Autorouting Software for the Meridian Gold. Magellan is much better than Garmin, in that the Garmin Topo software is of poor quality, and it is pretty old mapping.

I don't know if you are still looking, but I think you might do well to check out the GPS60. It is a basic Garmin model without mapping, but it has a great quad-helix antenna, external antenna connection and connects to the pc via usb. I have a meriplat as well, and I far prefer my basic Garmin for geocaching. It's antenna and accuracy prove it far above other models I've personally tested. Also it requires no extra purchases of maps or anything, and you can find it under 150$ on the net. If maps are something you need plan of spending quite a bit more, because if you look for that option cheaply you may end up spending again soon when you want to upgrade. Let us know what you come up with.

how important is the mapping mode?? can i get by just fine without it? i was looking at the garmin geko 100 and the magellan explorist 100 ..

thanks

scott

The gecko and the explorist you are looking at do not have the ability to interface with the computer. That is the #1 most important thing a GPS needs to be able to do for a geocacher (One miskeyed coordinate will teach you why). I would drop both of them from consideration.

In the Gecko's it's the 201 that can inteface with a computer. In the Explorist I think (but am not 100% sure) it's the 400 and up that interface with a computer.

The legend is a good all around "starter" GPS. It lets you try out maps and see if you find them useful. You can upgrade later if you like. I use maps all the time on my GPS V and I find the autorouting indespensable.

how important is the mapping mode?? can i get by just fine without it? i was looking at the garmin geko 100 and the magellan explorist 100 ..

thanks

scott

Maps make your GPS far more useful. If you want it just for geocaching or finding your way to a favorit fishing spot any GPS will do the job. Maps give you much more. With topo maps you can see the lay of the land. It will tell you if there is a cliff, stream, swamp, mountain, ravine, etc... between you and your destination. Other mapping software will have better street detail and will tell you where the nearest church, post office, shopping mall, hotel, restaurant, barber shop, etc... are. Some mapping software will give you turn by turn directions to these and other destinations (if your GPS supports it).

Stay away from the Geko 101 and eXplorist 100-300. As RK mentioned, they do not have PC connectivity. You'll have to key in all waypoints manually. Not a big deal for one or two, but considering that these units hold 500 waypoints, it could take quite some time to fill them up. You are also unable to get firmware upgrades for these units.

Some units to consider in your price range (prices stated are the lowest at which they can usually be found):

Garmin Legend. An easy on the pocket book $130. Its a mapping unit in an easy to use, compact package. Its 8 megs of map memory is somewhat limited though. It will hold detailed maps for about half of a small state like NJ, or a few counties of larger states. It has a North Amearica base map which isn't very detailed. It shows major roads and cities. Mapping software is about $100 extra.

Garmin Vista Around $210. Same as the Legend but with 24 megs of map memory (should provied coverage for all of most states, or several smaller ones) and a magnetic compass and barometric altimeter. Mapping software is about $100 extra.

Garmin GPS V Not long ago this was the cream of handheld GPSes. Has mapping and autorouting (turn by turn directions to destination). The mapping software is included with this, which makes it a bargain at around $230 (I've seen it for as little as $199). Drawbacks include the 18 megs of map memory which can be limiting in major metropolitan areas and that it has a slower processer than newer models.

Garmin Legend C An excellent, new mapping GPS with a color screen, auto routing, user customizable screens. 24 megs of map memory. It also has a fast USB PC connection. The previous 3 units use the much slower serial connection. Garmin has a $50 rebate right now, so this can be found for round $220 after rebate. Like the other mapping units it has a North Amearica base map which isn't very detailed. It shows major roads and cities. Mapping software is about $100 extra.

Lowrance H20A mapping GPS that can be found for a reasonable $190. Its a largish, boxy unit, but it has a great screen with very good resolution. It uses memory cards for map storage so it can be expandable. The topo mapping software is excellent. Far better than Garmin's or Magellan's. It not only shows terrain detail, but also has busniess listings so you can find hotels, restaurants, etc...

It doesn't hook up to a PC, but you can download map and waypoint info using a card reader. Its not as easy a process as the Garmins and Magellans, but not a major production either. The user interface leaves something to be desired. Its not nearly as intuiative and easy to learn as the Garmin units. As with other units mapping software is extra. I don't know if it has basemaps or not.

Magellan Meridian Gold A very good mapping unit that runs about $190. It uses SD cards for storage and has a reputation for great reception under difficult conditions. Screen resolution is not great and the user interface, though better than Lowrance's isn't quite up to Garmin's. Its also a large unit. One of, if not the biggest of the consumer grade handhelds.Like the other mapping units it has a North Amearica base map which isn't very detailed. It shows major roads and cities. Mapping software is about $100 extra.

Magellan Sportrak Map Usually around $150. Has 6 megs of map storage. Like the other mapping units it has a North Amearica base map which isn't very detailed. It shows major roads and cities. Mapping software is about $100 extra.

Edited by briansnat

thanks

scott

Magellan Meridian Gold A very good mapping unit that runs about $190. It uses SD cards for storage and has a reputation for great reception under difficult conditions. Screen resolution is not great and the user interface, though better than Lowrance's isn't quite up to Garmin's. Its also a large unit. One of, if not the biggest of the consumer grade handhelds.Like the other mapping units it has a North Amearica base map which isn't very detailed. It shows major roads and cities. Mapping software is about $100 extra.

Briansnat,

This was a very timely response for me. Thank you very much. I am considering a new Meridian Gold and searched the forum for information and found your very informative post.

I have a stupid question for you. When you refer to "user interface" are you just talking about how easy it is to use? How well-placed the buttons are, etc?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I am real partial to any Garmin--They make good units and i am sure you will be pleased with any of them. I currently use a Cobra GPS 100----I must say this is a pretty good GPS. I have found every cache i have ever found using it so i know it works. You can get these really inexpensively and they work real well in cloudy conditions. I can say this from my experience with its use. Lets not forget to get out there and find those caches-thats what it is all about! The Motley Crew

I have a stupid question for you. When you refer to "user interface" are you just talking about how easy it is to use? How well-placed the buttons are, etc?

I'm referring chiefly to the 'front end' software of the unit and how easy it is to use and how well thought out it is. I feel there are some shortcomings in the Magellans. Things like waypoint searching. The Meridian only lets you list waypoints by distance, or alphabetically. Since all geocaches start with GC, the latter is pretty useless, meaning that you may have to page through as many as 500 waypoints to find one. With Garmin, you just key in the name and go directly to that wapoint.

A nice feature about the Garmin units is that if you press 'menu' on a screen, it lists every possible function that can be done with that screen. It seems that Magellan will list some functions, but others are hidden, or in places that don't make any sense. Lowrance is even worse.

Magellan Sportrak Map Usually around $150. Has 6 megs of map storage. Like the other mapping units it has a North Amearica base map which isn't very detailed. It shows major roads and cities. Mapping software is about $100 extra.

Here's another one to add:

Magellan SporTrak Color -- can still be found at a few Costco's for $200. This unit has 22 MB of free memory and a 10 MB basemap. Contrast that to the Mer Gold's 16 MB basemap and the ST Map's 2 MB basemap. It uses the same mapping software as the Gold & ST Map. Other features include a 3-axis compass, a barometer, a thermometer, and a color screen (160 x 240 pixels). But since this unit is older technology, it has a serial interface for much slower downloads, a slower processor, and the display is mediocre when compared to that of the eXplorists and newer Garmins (Vista C, 60CS, 76CS, etc).

A nice feature about the Garmin units is that if you press 'menu' on a screen, it lists every possible function that can be done with that screen. It seems that Magellan will list some functions, but others are hidden, or in places that don't make any sense. Lowrance is even worse.

I'll admit, as I have in other posts, the iFinder's menu is not the friendliest, but I've come to really love it.

First like the Garmin, you can select a waypoint by just keying in the name.

Also like the Garmin, it has a menu dedicated to the screen being used. Press Menu once and you get the dedicated menu. A second press pops up the full advanced menu. Also from each dedicated menu, except the satellite screen, you can customize the display. It will let you add two rows with up to three boxes each of information (coord's, epe, dst, spd, trk, brg, etc.).

All in all as you can see, judging user interfaces is very subjective. Personally I find the eTrex's side buttons and stick totally frustrating and their menus insulting to my intelligence. But that's just my opinion. I guess the best thing to do is handle each one personally. (Ok, for the iFinder have an experienced user handy).

Edited by reidster

Here's another one to add:

Magellan SporTrak Color -- can still be found at a few Costco's for $200. This unit has 22 MB of free memory and a 10 MB basemap. Contrast that to the Mer Gold's 16 MB basemap and the ST Map's 2 MB basemap. It uses the same mapping software as the Gold & ST Map. Other features include a 3-axis compass, a barometer, a thermometer, and a color screen (160 x 240 pixels). But since this unit is older technology, it has a serial interface for much slower downloads, a slower processor, and the display is mediocre when compared to that of the eXplorists and newer Garmins (Vista C, 60CS, 76CS, etc).

The color screen on the the ST color aren't the best. They are very difficult to read in sunlight. They are being heavily discounted these days in places like Costco, Sierra Trading Post etc..., probably because they didn't sell well. They are a bargain now and if you live in Ireland or Seattle it might be a good choice :lol: .

FWIW, I made my first 280 finds in one year with a Geko. It was a 201 but I don't think I uploaded more than 5 or 6 waypoints to it. So if you're not going to go out "power paperless caching" too often, even the 101 could be an OK choice.

Of course, now that I have a 60cs, I'm not going back to any mapless model any time soon! But for me the key difference between models is "maps or not". In areas where power caching is hard (distance between caches) and paperless caching is hard (lots of multis/mysteries), if you don't have maps, you might not miss the PC connectivity.

I'm referring chiefly to the 'front end' software of the unit and how easy it is to use and how well thought out it is. I feel there are some shortcomings in the Magellans. Things like waypoint searching. The Meridian only lets you list waypoints by distance, or alphabetically. Since all geocaches start with GC, the latter is pretty useless, meaning that you may have to page through as many as 500 waypoints to find one. With Garmin, you just key in the name and go directly to that wapoint.

Much thanks for the information.