Dust Offs

Dust Offs

Hopefully a use full service.

You get the following points for dusting off

1 point for proving that a cache on the dust off list is definitely not there

1 point for repairing a cache on the dust off list with a new log book or container

2 points for finding finding a dust off cache you have found before

3 points for finding a dust off listed caches first after it is listed

5 points for successfully adopting a cache on the dust off list.

5 points for rescuing a TB from a dust off cache

10 points for conducting a rescue mission.

15 points for rescuing an archived cache not on the dust off list

Points to be emailed for a whole month at a time (so the first ones will be sent in July) results will be published after COTM :laughing:

Getting multiple scores for the same cache is allowed :laughing:

Additional caches will be added to the list as and when other caches are found please check the cache pages and let me know of any issues and any caches that shoudl be added to improve the geographical spread.

Official Dust Off List

Hi

This seems a really good idea - any chance of there being some indication of the region for the dust offs, or maybe just put the co-ords on the main site?  That way it will be easier to see whether one is local or not, without having to open each of them in turn.

Perhaps an extra column for county would be sufficient.

I can provide M&L with the counties for the Irish ones.

-Wlw.

Just that we found an archieved cache a couple of months ago. Will it count?

See the start of the topic - Official Launch for June 2005. I would have thought that it would run along the same lines as COTM, i.e. they have to be found in that month to count towards that month's score. Maybe Mark and Lynn could confirm?

T

I like this whole idea, but there's a couple of items in the scoring table that I do have a problem with...

1 point for proving that a cache on the dust off list is definitely not there

This would be a good thing to do (reason in a moment) and ought to carry a higher score.

1 point for repairing a cache on the dust off list with a new log book or container

This is OK - but only if it's done at the request of the cache owner. It's the owner's ultimate responsibility to maintain the cache. If the cache needs a new box or logbook - then the implication is: that it isn't being maintained properly.

Drawing attention to caches that are (i) missing or (ii) not maintained is a useful service to the hobby as a whole (because the cache could be archived, giving an opportunity for the location to be re-used), and so should carry a higher "score".

... just my 2d worth :laughing:

-Wlw.

Some good points esp about repairing caches.

Shall add an extra counties column at the next update (still learning about FTP :drama: ) yes please for the irish ones.

A .loc file will be available soon

Points....my usuall way of working through these things is to set it up first let it work for a while and then discuss the issues and changes required to make it more effective so while i agree particularly on the issue of cache maintainance lets see how the first month goes some of these caches are not found often for very good reasons!.

If you post a needs archiving note on the cache and it is subsequenlty archived i say go for it and get the points and clear up the cache situation the one above is still temporarily disabled after a year?.

All these caches will be on my watchlist.

Keep the feedback coming my day job means i don't and won't take it personally unless you say i'm ugly :o or smell :laughing:

This is OK - but only if it's done at the request of the cache owner. It's the owner's ultimate responsibility to maintain the cache. If the cache needs a new box or logbook - then the implication is: that it isn't being maintained properly.

If it needs a new log book or container and hasn't been found in 6 months, I would guess that it isn't being properly maintained. :laughing:

A container would only be replaced if it was broken, and a new log book added only if the old one was full.

Would it matter if a cache owner hadn't requested it?

Sarah

If you post a needs archiving note on the cache and it is subsequenlty archived i say go for it and get the points and clear up the cache situation the one above is still temporarily disabled after a year?.

I am very happy that this activity takes place as it helps Eckington and I to "keep an eye" on inactive caches.

However one thing you should be aware of regarding SBA notes. These come to me and it prompts me to have a look at the listing. Based on a number of factors I will likely as not carry out the archive but give the owner the opportunity to get back to me after correcting the situation. So although a cache is archived it sometimes happens that I will unarchive it subsequently.

Also bear in mind that a single SBA log may well not result in the cache being archived. It usually needs a few DNF's as well.

I'm also likely to archive (temporarily at least) a cache that obviously needs maintenance that hasn't been carried out for some time. So as Markyandlynn say, let's try it and see how it goes.

The new easily updatable bookmark list is now available. Congrats to Roolku on being FTDO.

Dust Off bookmark list

Hope to add some comments like counties, on an island etc in the coming week. League table will and rules will remain on the web site.

Solves the .loc and links and immediate update issues. If you want you can tick the box to watch the caches download as .loc etc.

a good use of a bookmark list

Ahghhgggg i just realised what happened posting the list before the bank holiday weekend was bad.(of me)

Quick opinions invited on what to do with my organisational skills and points for caches found this weekend

also opinions on points for joint dust offs (there is an Irish mission planned by many cachers to one cache)

Edited by markandlynn
Quick opinions invited on what to do with my organisational skills and points for caches found this weekend.

You have no option but to allow the points to count in the June total, since ye put the list up, but didn't make any stipulations about starting dates.

also opinions on points for joint dust offs (there is an Irish mission planned by many cachers to one cache)

It has to be: that anyone making the find as part of a "joint effort", can claim the points, as an individual. There's no way of sorting it out from the log entries, else.

A proper "ruling" is essential, because this is going to happen a lot: many of these caches are on islands, or require a significant upland hike to reach them - which people shouldn't be doing on their own.

-Wlw.

Quick opinions invited on what to do with my organisational skills and points for caches found this weekend.

You have no option but to allow the points to count in the June total, since ye put the list up, but didn't make any stipulations about starting dates.

It has to be: that anyone making the find as part of a "joint effort", can claim the points, as an individual. There's no way of sorting it out from the log entries, else.

A proper "ruling" is essential, because this is going to happen a lot: many of these caches are on islands, or require a significant upland hike to reach them - which people shouldn't be doing on their own.

-Wlw.

True.

Most of the caches on the list are in remote areas and as such are what i would consider unsafe on your own some are two day hikes.

Joint missions will score points for all those undertaking them. The logs will be checked for who was with who (i am watching the bookmark list as can anyone else BTW) . Any TB's recovered will count to the first cacher to retrieve them. (so that decision is down to the team at the cache site)

The early finders this weekend will score the points as it is only 3 points each and one of them set out specifically on a dust off mission.

I am adding detail to the bookmark lists of

County

Area ie Ireland, wales, scotland etc

Offshore (ie an island) or mainland

Travel bugs present

Last find date and by whom.

Any DNF's after the last find

Owned by

and a notes section

anything else you want to see on the bookmark list just let me know and any errors ouch!!

This is hard work glad about the no comment on my organising skills.

NB

at present as and when someone emails or posts an addition i am adding it to the list please keep the nominations coming to improve the geographical spread. more additions will be appearing throught the month so keep an eye out.

Any TB caches will get priority.

and dont forget archived caches must be emailed / posted as i won't see these being dealt with.

Edited by markandlynn

See the topic title! We put off a trip to Wolfhole Crag this weekend for that very reason. To be honest it doesn't make that big a deal. It's the only one within distance for us anyway, so we're not likely to be 'up there'.

T

Is the series in Southsea even possible?

The first one has been archived (Seagulls Ships & Sights) and at least one other has been trashed (Underground Overground) which means any subsequent caches (and the first) in the series are impossible to do. I can't see which order they are meant to be done in so no way of knowing which can and which can't be done.

An email to the owner of these caches might be in order before they are added to the DOs.

The first one has been archived (Seagulls Ships & Sights) and at least one other has been trashed (Underground Overground) which means any subsequent caches (and the first) in the series are impossible to do. I can't see which order they are meant to be done in so no way of knowing which can and which can't be done.

An email to the owner of these caches might be in order before they are added to the DOs.

this cache effectively prevents all the other southsea caches from being found. Good points available if someone can resolve the situation.

edit to add

question is who should send the email (don't wish to tread on any toes here folks)

Edited by markandlynn

I've already been in contact with the owners and understand why it is still temporarily disabled (not archived). It WILL be re-enabled when it and a couple of the other intermediate caches have been replaced.

The owners have not been able to replace them yet for very good reasons.

Imagine taking a box off the top of your wardrobe for the first time in 12 months.... You might want to blow the "Dust off" before you open it?

Same with caches that have been left undiscovered for a while, except it might be mould, fungus or seagull poop rather than dust :grin:

None of the 7 Lundy Island caches have been found since August 28th 2004. A few show up in the dust-off list, but most don't.

All 7 of these will get a serious dusting off on June 25th when about 30 or 40 cachers descend on Lundy for the Event!

None of the 7 Lundy Island caches have been found since August 28th 2004. A few show up in the dust-off list, but most don't.

All 7 of these will get a serious dusting off on June 25th when about 30 or 40 cachers descend on Lundy for the Event!

Lundy island (non virtual caches) added to list (let me know if i missed any)

Southsea caches will remain on list until re activated (thank you Lactodorum)

As the last finder of the Keem cache i know it was very well hidden under the overhang of a rock slightly out of site of the path . Unless the cliff has collapsed?

The recent dust offs are at the top of the list (using AAA) to denote them shall remove completly at end of month the notification works well it even tells me which list the email is from.

One has now been found twice in a month after no activity for a year.

Mision Impossible - over to the mods