Wanna See The Inside Of Your Garmin 60cs?

Hi all,

Call me crazy, but just for fun I took apart my 60CS so I could see what was inside and how it was put together. Below is the link to the photos I took, just click on the thumbnail to see the bigger piture. Enjoy!

PHOTO SIZE WARNING - these are large untouched photos. Users on dial-up may want to wait until I can resize them.

Garmin 60CS photos

Edited by moonpup

Nice photos but people with dial up internet are going to hate you :)

I ran one of your pics through Irfanview and saved it at 50% quality. Reduced the file size from 2.20MB to 223KB while keeping the same image size and it looks the same on my monitor.

Edited by PDOP's

Awesome photos. I was curious how the inside looks and now I know. Thanks. I do have 2 questions for you.

1. Does the antenna slide into a plastic "sleeve" that is covered by the rubber, or does it just slide into the rubber covering? The reason I'm asking is because my rubber covering is a little loose around the antenna.

2. Are all the buttons connected to one piece. For example if you needed the "quit" button replaced would all the buttons have to be replaced?

If you can answer these I would be grateful. Thanks again for posting.

Awesome photos. I was curious how the inside looks and now I know. Thanks. I do have 2 questions for you.

1. Does the antenna slide into a plastic "sleeve" that is covered by the rubber, or does it just slide into the rubber covering? The reason I'm asking is because my rubber covering is a little loose around the antenna.

2. Are all the buttons connected to one piece. For example if you needed the "quit" button replaced would all the buttons have to be replaced?

If you can answer these I would be grateful. Thanks again for posting.

As for the antenna, I believe it slides into a plastic tube which is covered by the rubber. I didn't run my finger up there to see how high it goes, but if you squeeze the antenna the rigidity of it would suggest so.

As for the button pad, the problem is not the buttons themselves but that contact sheet that the buttons push down on. As you can see in the photo, they would just replace the ribbon cable with the button contacts.

Hope that helps!

The only tricky part about putting it back together was having to use some RTV clear sealant on the top of the back cover that attaches to the rubber antenna cover. Most likely for waterproofing as I had to peel it away when taking it apart...now for the dunk test :)

On one of the picture i see a coin battery, is it really a battery ?

another question - any chance of you trying to replace flash chip on bigger one ? :D

I'm not sure if it is a battery although it looks like one. I didn't try to remove it :) I would doubt that it's a battery as I don't believe there is any functioanlity in the unit that would require it.

I wish I had the technical knowledge to put in a larger memory chip, now wouldn't that make a great customization business :)

On one of the picture i see a coin battery, is it really a battery  ?

another question - any chance of you trying to replace flash chip on bigger one ? B)

I'm not sure if it is a battery although it looks like one. I didn't try to remove it B) I would doubt that it's a battery as I don't believe there is any functioanlity in the unit that would require it.

I wish I had the technical knowledge to put in a larger memory chip, now wouldn't that make a great customization business B)

The 60's maintain data even through main battery removal, maybe it's a coin battery keeping the chip data intact?

Really cool stuff.

The best thing to do with the pictures is to save them in a Folder, then go to 1600x1200 resolution, then right click the first picture, and select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", then hit F11 to get full screen slide show.

As far as the Quad-Helix Antenna is concerned, I had first learned about this type of antenna in Satellite communications in the USAF. I believe that it consists of 4 conductors(wires) in a parallel twisted fashion like you see in the pictures.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Many Thanks Moonpup!!!!

Just what i was looking for....hope the unit is still water tight!!!!

Although judging by the pic of the case the very thin rubber surrounding the top and bottom case doesnt seem sufficient to keep water out anyways!!!???

L_e_e

Edited by l_e_e