San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Start by opening a new Background image, duplicate the Background Layer to get a Background Copy layer, deactivate the Background Layer, draw the circle onto the Background Copy Layer using the Elliptical Marquee Tool while holding the Alt and Shift keys, Once you have the circular selection then use the Eraser Tool to erase inside the marquee.

If you want the circle to be perfectly centered then use a horizontal and a vertical guide line set to 50% Position, do that using the menu-bar selection "View/New Guide."

Move the crosshair cursor to the center-point where the two guidelines intersect, watch to see that the crosshair changes color when aligned right over the intersection point. With the cursor aligned push and hold the Alt and Shift keys down and then click and drag a perfectly centered circle right out of the intersection point.

No charge,

Harmon

Thanks Harmon. I will give it a try. I found that I can also just change the Opacity to 0 to get a transparent fill. Ok, now how do I change the line width on the shapes that I draw?

I know Photoshop is powerful, but it sure isn't intuitive!

Use the Pen Tool and click the option-bar Line Tool button. Adjust the "Weight" setting on the option bar to increase or decrease the line width.

O sure, Photoshop is very intuitive after several years of in-depth experience.

Start by opening a new Background image, duplicate the Background Layer to get a Background Copy layer, deactivate the Background Layer, draw the circle onto the Background Copy Layer using the Elliptical Marquee Tool while holding the Alt and Shift keys, Once you have the circular selection then use the Eraser Tool to erase inside the marquee.

If you want the circle to be perfectly centered then use a horizontal and a vertical guide line set to 50% Position, do that using the menu-bar selection "View/New Guide."

Move the crosshair cursor to the center-point where the two guidelines intersect, watch to see that the crosshair changes color when aligned right over the intersection point. With the cursor aligned push and hold the Alt and Shift keys down and then click and drag a perfectly centered circle right out of the intersection point.

No charge,

Harmon

Thanks Harmon. I will give it a try. I found that I can also just change the Opacity to 0 to get a transparent fill. Ok, now how do I change the line width on the shapes that I draw?

You gotta remember that Photoshop was made for artists. They think with the other half of their brain. That would be the half that doesn't know how to organize anything! :)

No charge,

Harmon

You gotta remember that Photoshop was made for artists. They think with the other half of their brain. That would be the half that doesn't know how to organize anything! :)

;):):D:D

No charge,

Harmon

You gotta remember that Photoshop was made for artists. They think with the other half of their brain. That would be the half that doesn't know how to organize anything! :blink:

<_<<_<:anibad::ph34r:

Yeah, but, I'm a Texan. 'Splain that.

No charge,

Harmon

Opacity treek for seesies.

Use the Pen Tool and click the option-bar Line Tool button. Adjust the "Weight" setting on the option bar to increase or decrease the line width.

That works great for drawing lines but how about when I draw a closed object like a circle. Can I change the outside line diameter on that type of object. Maybe I am just hung up with the various drawing applications that I am used to. Thanks, RM

You gotta remember that Photoshop was made for artists. They think with the other half of their brain. That would be the half that doesn't know how to organize anything!  <_<

<_<:anibad::blink::ph34r:

Yeah, but, I'm a Texan. 'Splain that.

They deal out good brains to babies born in Texas! :P

You shoulda met my Uncle Booger.

Sometimes the brains hit the ground first...then they pick 'em up and give 'em out anyhow.

That is awesome Dan-oh!!!

If possible it would be great take the family/friends to see that live!

You should setup a holiday night cache out front!  :D

The video is making it's rounds on internet websites; no one seems to know where it came from.

Chuy, very good on out Snopes-ing me! I'm the one in our office that bust all the FOAFs and urban legends with that site.

And TrailGators, I'm just yanking your chain. Its not my place at all but very cool, if its real. :o

Crap! I emailed a bunch of friends and family this movie clip and they are all emailing me back!!! I couldn't bear to admit...you know....the truth......so now I'm jerking all their chains... :P ....thanks Dan-oh! :D To make things worse a few of them are flying out to see these awesome lights!!!!! :D

Ok...as long as we're going in this direction.... :o

11793a44-a1f2-4ce0-bfbb-dc995495cc97.jpg

Framed by irate graphic designers and imprisoned in a Mexican prison for international caching without a visa, TrailGators thanks PassingWind for sending him his favorite Strawberry Shortcake Soap-on-a-Rope.

:P

Edited by PassingWind
Ok...as long as we're going in this direction.... :rolleyes:

11793a44-a1f2-4ce0-bfbb-dc995495cc97.jpg

Framed by irate graphic designers and imprisoned in a Mexican prison for international caching without a visa, TrailGators thanks PassingWind for sending him his favorite Strawberry Shortcake Soap-on-a-Rope.

:rolleyes:

Soy un hombre inocente! Pasar el viento lo hizo!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by TrailGators
I can also set you up with your own icon shirt, lisence plate frame, coffee mug, etc. You should see what Team Gecko has coming out!!

Hey that would be really cool! :mad:

d94cdf08-f89a-4be6-a4e7-877484c1dca5.jpg

A former SD cacher named PC Painter made that logo for me from a website of some non-profit org. I noticed that the logo is off their website now. Maybe they are gone?? Anyhow, I have the full-resolution version that he made for me. He was a cool guy. I wonder whatever happened to him....

Edited by TrailGators
:lol: Nice shirt!

Thanks! Of course, each shirt will need a disclaimer on the label that states, "Wearing shirt does not enable wearer to fly."

'Cause, you know, some people might put on the shirt, climb up on the roof and leap off, expecting to soar through the air like a mighty eagle or something. Not me, of course. Well, not again, anyway. :(

Lesson 2

Note: I cheated and took out the railing because I'm lazy.  Also note that I used the Definge option that Harmon showed me and it worked well.

5371bb7b-a9b5-4bd3-9e42-37f634e1f741.jpg

Nice work RM.

Yes, that defringe option is one of the nicest tools in the Photoshop bag of tricks. Failure to defringe gives away the amateur right away. Well, unelss you're into halos.

I picked that shot because of the railing knowing that it would put personalities to a test. Do you also take shortcuts like that with your rocket production? Ha!

That's quite a collection of top-flight Geocachers in that photo. What do you suppose their combined statistics are right now?

Edited by SD Rowdies
I got lazy and used the magnetic lasso to select the three people.

BTW: Isn't the magnetic lasso one of the favorite Photoshop tools of the Sandy Creek Cowboys? :mmraspberry:

The Magnetic Lasso tool is hard to pass up for a quick selection. It works well if options are set properly for the situation at hand. More accurate is the Pen Tool, especially if a graphic tablet is being used.

Also I suggest that the Quick Mask mode is really important to master. Quick Mask mode allows you to do some careful nibbling to improve selections made with the other tools. It's a great way to preview and refine selections. The mode buttons are near the bottom of the toolbar.

The Extract Filter is useful for some situations as well but takes a while to get the hang of. Not so intuitive but able to turn some of the grueling work of selections over to Photoshop. Worth learning I'll say.

What really counts is learning to use and making use of the Option Bar settings for each selection tool. Adjusting options makes a world of difference when background and foreground are quite similar.

Finally it is useful to inspect Color Channels individually to see if edges of an object of interest are better defined on one of the three color channels or on the full RGB image. Often a hard-to-select image really sticks out on one of the color channels making it much easier to define a selection.

Truth is the best tool is the one that you are most proficient with.

Edited by SD Rowdies
RocketMan,

I am so pleased that you are using the Photoshop lessons. They have been dormant quite some time now and I have wondered recently if they are still needed.

Clearly you have interest and telent for 'shopping photos. Nice work.

Thanks for the nice words Harmon and here is Lesson 4 - The Groundspeak Girl with a TOPO of Dead Horse Point on her shirt! :mmraspberry:

357604c3-73f8-40b1-9c66-55febbd3b0b7.jpg

Edit: BTW Harmon - At which step does the map get shaded to look like it is on the shirt? It didn't seem to happen during the warp steps. Does it happen during one of the blend steps? I think I did it all correctly, but it is not clear which steps did what.

Here is the original Image:

geo5603c.jpg

Edited by RocketMan
RocketMan,

I am so pleased that you are using the Photoshop lessons. They have been dormant quite some time now and I have wondered recently if they are still needed.

Clearly you have interest and telent for 'shopping photos. Nice work.

Thanks for the nice words Harmon and here is Lesson 4 - The Groundspeak Girl with a TOPO of Dead Horse Point on her shirt! :mmraspberry:

357604c3-73f8-40b1-9c66-55febbd3b0b7.jpg

Edit: BTW Harmon - At which step does the map get shaded to look like it is on the shirt? It didn't seem to happen during the warp steps. Does it happen during one of the blend steps? I think I did it all correctly, but it is not clear which steps did what.

Here is the original Image:

geo5603c.jpg

Now that is a great job RM, she looks terrific in that mapped t-shirt. You make an ol' cowboy proud.

The critical step after warping and doing the Multiply Blend is the opacity adjustment. Decreasing the opacity allows the underlying shadow details to show through the map layer. That's when the map dissolves into the t-shirt.

My gosh, ain't she purty?

Edited by SD Rowdies
The critical step after warping and doing the Multiply Blend is the opacity adjustment. Decreasing the opacity allows the underlying shadow details to show through the map layer. That's when the map dissolves into the t-shirt.

OK, now I get how it works. Thanks for the explanation Harmon. Here is the Splashette version with the DHP TOPO:

0e77bbf5-9b70-4cbc-8951-2303be2b63a2.jpg

OK, now I get how it works. Thanks for the explanation Harmon. Here is the Splashette version with the DHP TOPO:

0e77bbf5-9b70-4cbc-8951-2303be2b63a2.jpg

Wow! that Splash lady sure gets around. Maybe we should map Lakeside onto her T.

Edited by SD Rowdies

(Caching Widow @ Nov 24 2005, 09:09 AM)

I can also set you up with your own icon shirt, lisence plate frame, coffee mug, etc. You should see what Team Gecko has coming out!!

Can I get one like this?!?!

Does it come with a red cape?

I'd be the envy of all the kids on my block!

Seriously, If any of you have high res graphics. E-mail them to me with your design, and shirt color preferences, and I'll put them in my cafepress.com store. I'm paying for a upgraded store, so yall can reap the benefits.