San Diego Banter

TrailGators

Enhancement of Black Mountain CITO Group Photo

The Problem

The bright-sky background caused the camera to reduce aperture with the result that the subjects appear in unwanted silhouette.

The Objective

Enhance the photo so that the subjects and the background are equally pleasant.

Discussion

Simple enhancements such as increasing overall image brightness will result in a washed-out background. Doing so will take away color and texture from the sky and the landscape.

Enhancing an image using only brightness changes usually produces a poor result.

A good approach is to select the desirable foreground features of the image and place them on a separate editing layer all by themselves. That way the foreground and the background can be processed separately.

In this particular case little or nothing needs to be done to the background and so processing can be confined to the selected foreground features.

Selecting the foreground features in an ordinary way will prove difficult because, first of all, those features are very dark and secondly because they are not isolated from complicated background features such as bushes, leafs, and twigs. Beyond that are many small instances of the background showing through the foreground; for example, between legs and arms and between the foreground subjects. Simply said it will be hard to see what one is doing when using a selection tool.

A method will be shown that, to a large extent, reduces the difficulty of accomplishing a decent foreground selection. This method makes use of image color channels to make foreground features much easier to see. Of course this approach dictates the need for color channel features within the image editing application used for enhancement. Both Photoshop 7 and Photoshop CS2 editors provide the needed channel editing features.

Foreground enhancement will be carried out using the Photoshop Levels Dialog Box to alter the tonal range and color balance of the image by adjusting intensity levels of image shadows, mid-tones, and highlights. Because the foreground features will be isolated on a separate layer then the bright sky will have no effect whatever on adjustment of foreground levels.

Procedure

a. Open the original image in Photoshop 7 or Photoshop CS2. On the layer pallet, right-click the Background Layer and open a Background Copy layer. Deactivate the background layer by clicking the associated eyeball icon.

b. Select the Channels Tab that’s adjacent to the Layers Tab. Now deactivate the RGB, Blue, and Green channels. Note that the foreground features of this image are much easier to see using the Red Channel when compared to the original color image or, for that matter, the Blue and Green Channels. It will be much easier to guide a selection tool along the edges of the Red Channel. For other images it could be any one of the color channels that offer most advantage for clear visibility.

c. For this exercise select the Magnetic Lasso Tool and go to work carefully selecting the foreground features of interest such as the subjects, the dogs, and the large rocks.

d. A word or two about proper use of the selection tool. Note the many controls of the Options Bar. Make good use of the Width, the Add to Selection, and the Subtract from Selection controls as your work on the foreground selection. The Add and Subtract buttons allow you to subdivide your task by adding or subtracting small areas of the image at a time. Be very careful to accurately define the selection to include only the desired foreground features, and spend a lot of time with the edges where foreground and background come together.

e. Use the Mouse scroll wheel to enlarge the image significantly while drawing the selection marquee. Don’t worry if the image is far larger than the Photoshop work area. For Windows you can use the Space Bar to switch back and forth between the Magnetic Lasso Tool and the Hand Tool so that you can move to new areas of the image while you are drawing the selection marquee.

f. Use the Edit in Quick Mask Mode button and the Brush Tool to refine your selection work. The red quick-mask can be altered to improve the selection by using Black foreground color for the Brush Tool to exclude image areas and White foreground color for the Brush Tool to remove red-masked areas. Change Brush size as needed to nibble away at the boundaries between foreground and background. Yes, it is very tedious but impatience will bring a sad result. Hey, deal with it o.k.? <_<

g. When satisfied with the work you have done in the Quick-Mask mode then click the Edit in Standard Mode button and view the final selection marquee. Now return to the Channels pallet and recheck the RGB Channel check-box so that full color returns to the image.

h. From the Menu Bar select Layer/New/Layer via Copy. On the layer palette note that a new layer named Layer 1 appears above the Background Copy layer. Verify that the selected foreground features appear alone on the new layer. Try clicking the eyeball icon of the Background Copy layer on and off. Verify that you have achieved a layer that isolates the selected foreground features.

d7890d4b-1daa-4c1f-ba1f-d04ccde76c32.jpg

i. Make sure that this new layer is selected or, if need be, click the title area of Layer 1 and note that it is highlighted as blue. Using the Magic Wand Tool click each transparent area of the layer. Once each transparent are is outlined by a selection marquee, on the Menu Bar select Select/Inverse. Note that the selection marquee now outlines just the foreground features of layer 1.

j. On the Menu bar select Image/Adjustments/Levels. Now click and drag the white slider that is below the histogram chart to the left until foreground features increase in brightness to a level that complements the background areas of the image. Don’t overdo this setting or the foreground will show signs of being washed out. At this point you might wish to save the entire project in .psd format by using the “File/Save As” dialog boxes.

k. Assuming that all went well click the tiny little arrowhead at the top-right of the Layer Pallet and choose Flatten Image from the popup list. Save your enhanced image as a renamed .jpg file. For best result use the JPEG Options Dialog to set Quality to 12 Maximum.

NOTE: This is a first-draft document so do mention any problems you find and I’ll get around to improving it.

Nothing to it huh? Enjoy.

Harmon

Awesome lesson Harmon!!! Thanks! <_<

Awesome lesson Harmon!!! Thanks!  <_<

Looking back on it I forgot to cover a couple of things that I had promised. I'll just wait to see if anybody notices what I missed.

Also note that the references to "Layer 1" should read "Layer 2."

O yeah, you're quite welcome.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Looking back on it I forgot to cover a couple of things that I had promised. I'll just wait to see if anybody notices what I missed.

I should have some time over the upcoming Turkey holiday weekend to go through it in detail!

By the way, congrats on passing 1000 posts!

Edited by TrailGators

I should have some time over the upcoming Turkey holiday weekend to go through it in detail!

By the way, congrats on passing 1000 posts!

Great. You seem to be one of the very few that admit to using the lessons.

Wow! more than a thousand posts, is there a t-shirt or Geocoin for that?

We really and truly have gone off the deep end with this recreation of ours.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Here's a bit of banter about Google Earth (from the SD Cache Events topic):

BTW how did you change the icons? I made a map of all my finds for my profile page and wanted to change the icons and hide the text, but couldn't see the option to do that in Google Earth....

Here's what I do:

• I have all the caches in GSAK. I export whatever I want in Google Earth to a gpx file. You can use one from GC.com directly, I'm sure, but later on I need to make sure the waypoint label is in a specific format so I can know what kind of cache it is.
  • I open the gpx file in Google Earth.
  • Then I right click on the GPS Device folder under Temporary Places and save it as a Google Earth .kml file. That's really an xml file (text, so you can edit it).
  • Then I use a program I wrote (in Visual Foxpro) to hide all the labels unless I mouse over them and to change the cache icons to the ones from the GC site.
  • Then I open my converted .kml file in Google Earth. The labels only appear when you mouse over a cache icon.

Like so:

b499a7fa-c451-4066-88b7-f367d68f52d9.jpg

Don't be afraid to save anything you are looking at in Google Earth to a .kml file and take a look at it in Notepad. I've figured out how to superimpose real-time SD traffic, weather and earthquakes onto Google Earth by doing that.

If you copy and paste this into a text file and open it with Google Earth, you'll see the SD Traffic map superimposed over San Diego:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0">
<GroundOverlay>
 <name>San Diego Traffic (DOT.CA.GOV)</name>
 <color>49ffffff</color>
 <Icon>
   <href>http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist11/d11tmc/sdmap/sdmap/sdmap.gif</href>
   <refreshMode>onInterval</refreshMode>
   <refreshInterval>600</refreshInterval>
 </Icon>
 <LatLonBox>
   <north>33.28695264330658</north>
   <south>32.50506664469541</south>
   <east>-116.7800202535866</east>
   <west>-117.7026227665829</west>
 </LatLonBox>
</GroundOverlay>
</kml>

Like so:

bd5d87d4-cbd0-40d5-85d4-515a9a83e363.jpg

[*]Then I use a program I wrote (in Visual Foxpro) to hide all the labels unless I mouse over them and to change the cache icons to the ones from the GC

Ah ha! This is the piece I am missing!!

There is another program called Tiger Maps that lets you plot waypoints and define a map area. But it is very clunky to use. However the one thing I liked about it was the ability to change the icons into small blue or red dots. So when I plotted my finds it looked a lot better! Is this something that is easy to program so Google Earth could do this?

BTW, thanks for sharing all that Google stuff ahimsa! <_<

Is this something that is easy to program so Google Earth could do this?

I haven't found a way to do this in Google Earth itself. If anyone wants to experiment, here's what the resulting .kml file looks like (note: the image file (TC.gif) is one I just downloaded from the GC.com cache page - one for each cache type):

<Document xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3/org/1999/xlink">
 <name>GPS device</name>
 <open>1</open>
 <Style id="defaultIcon">
   <LabelStyle>
     <scale>0</scale>
   </LabelStyle>
 </Style>
 <Style id="hoverIcon">
   <IconStyle id="hoverIcon">
     <scale>1.299999952316284</scale>
   </IconStyle>
 </Style>
 <StyleMap id="defaultStyle">
   <Pair>
     <key>normal</key>
     <styleUrl>#defaultIcon</styleUrl>
   </Pair>
   <Pair>
     <key>highlight</key>
     <styleUrl>#hoverIcon</styleUrl>
   </Pair>
 </StyleMap>
 <Folder>
  <name>Waypoints</name>
   <Placemark>
     <name>100A/TR38/FFFF: Trail Mix at Pinyon Mountain</name>
     <description>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4874ef09-e4f3-4f60-8734-3fe58bb92b90</description>
     <TimeInstant>
       <timePosition>2001-07-09T08:00:00Z</timePosition>
     </TimeInstant>
     <styleUrl>#defaultStyle</styleUrl>
     <Point>
       <coordinates>-116.303167,33.050933,0</coordinates>
     </Point>
     <Style>
       <IconStyle>
         <Icon>
           <href>C:/Keyhole/Images/TC.gif</href>
         </Icon>
       </IconStyle>
     </Style>
   </Placemark>

(snip all the remaining placemarks)

</Folder>
</Document>
</kml>

<GroundOverlay>
 <name>San Diego Traffic (DOT.CA.GOV)</name>
 <color>49ffffff</color>
 <Icon>
   <href>http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist11/d11tmc/sdmap/sdmap/sdmap.gif</href>
   <refreshMode>onInterval</refreshMode>
   <refreshInterval>600</refreshInterval>
 </Icon>
 <LatLonBox>
   <north>33.28695264330658</north>
   <south>32.50506664469541</south>
   <east>-116.7800202535866</east>
   <west>-117.7026227665829</west>
 </LatLonBox>
</GroundOverlay>
</kml>

Hey that's cool! Here's what I got!

dbd22ac9-856f-42ca-baf0-e407e561f082.jpg

Hi ahimsa, I tried loading the other code you posted above but when I did it zoomed in on some spot in the middle of the desert....

That's probably where it is - that was just the first cache listed in waypoint name order in GSAK (I snipped out all the rest). You can use that example to work out how to do the mouseover effect (it should work with that one). If you want the right icon, just go to a cache page, right click on the cache icon and save it to your computer and then point to it in the .kml file.

Hi ahimsa, I tried loading the other code you posted above but when I did it zoomed in on some spot in the middle of the desert....

That's probably where it is - that was just the first cache listed in waypoint name order in GSAK (I snipped out all the rest). You can use that example to work out how to do the mouseover effect (it should work with that one). If you want the right icon, just go to a cache page, right click on the cache icon and save it to your computer and then point to it in the .kml file.

OIC!

0d421dfa-fb37-49ee-8b82-35d991eea78e.jpg

OIC!

Great! Now you probably see why you need a program to do all your finds - it would be a bit tedious to manually do a couple thousand placemarks in the kml file! ;)

I don't have that many! Only 923 at the moment...Anyhow, that's OK! I got the icons to disappear in Google Earth when I raised the viewing elevation high enough! But thanks for sharing those cool tricks!

Edited by TrailGators
If you right click on the top item in your stack you can see the option to do this (with CS1).

I assume you mean the fist layer at the top of the layer list. When I right click in the blue area on Layer 1, I just get the following:

8a136800-2a53-428c-ae04-59cadbd00386.jpg

Hmmm....I never merge anything so now I'm not sure...I figured it was better to leave separate in case I want to do some changes later.

If you right click on the top item in your stack you can see the option to do this (with CS1).

I assume you mean the fist layer at the top of the layer list. When I right click in the blue area on Layer 1, I just get the following:

At the top right of the Layer Pallet, see that little round button with the tiny black arrowhead? Click that and select "Flatten Image."

Save the layered image as a .psd file before it is flattened. Also save the selections you used, on the menu bar choose "Selection/Save Selection." Next time you reopen the .psd file then you will still have the layers and you can recover your selections at "Selection/Load Selection."

Once that is done then you can flatten the image and then do a "Save As ... " for a .jpg file. This way is sort of have your cake and eat it too.

Another angle on your shot is to select the dog's head and ears, create a new layer with that selection, and then paste the entire Altoid image in between the new head & ears layer and the background layer. That way you don't have to spend time erasing the center section of the Altoid tin.

Glad you were able to try the lesson. Sorry I didn't see your question right away, we were out dancing with a bunch of Geocachers until 11:30 p.m. Life is good.

That pooch must have a minty-fresh dawg breath.

Edited by SD Rowdies

At the top right of the Layer Pallet, see that little round button with the tiny black arrowhead? Click that and select "Flatten Image."

Save the layered image as a .psd file before it is flattened. Also save the selections you used, on the menu bar choose "Selection/Save Selection." Next time you reopen the .psd file then you will still have the layers and you can recover your selections at "Selection/Load Selection."

Once that is done then you can flatten the image and then do a "Save As ... " for a .jpg file. This way is sort of have your cake and eat it too.

Another angle on your shot is to select the dog's head and ears, create a new layer with that selection, and then paste the entire Altoid image in between the new head & ears layer and the background layer. That way you don't have to spend time erasing the center section of the Altoid tin.

Glad you were able to try the lesson. Sorry I didn't see your question right away, we were out dancing with a bunch of Geocachers until 11:30 p.m. Life is good.

Thanks Harmon. The Flatten Image command did the trick. Also, I like your idea about just selecting the dog's head and then putting it on top. I will have to try that tonight.

BTW: Can't I just save the image as a JPEG and have the layers combined in the process? I think that is how I have done it in the past.

Thanks Again,

Dave

Thanks Harmon. The Flatten Image command did the trick. Also, I like your idea about just selecting the dog's head and then putting it on top. I will have to try that tonight.

BTW: Can't I just save the image as a JPEG and have the layers combined in the process? I think that is how I have done it in the past.

Thanks Again,

Dave

True enough, Photoshop will merge the layers when you save a jpeg image.

As you know a jpeg image will loose most of the detailed work. The Photoshop .psd format will preserve layers, selections, history, and more. Of course you must remember to save your selections as described before.

Saving selections is really important. A lot of work can go into a perfect selection like when I saved the selection of Dan-oh in his bear suit. When new ideas pop up later on then the selection is already available for reuse. Bwah-ha-ha!

By the way, when you set up and finish a new selection-layer make sure to defringe it. That blends it into the underlying layer nicely without an ugly halo around the selection. That step is accomplished from the menu bar at "Layer/Matting/Defringe." Usually one pixel is enough but sometimes one or two more is good.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

I haven't run into the problem recently but "save as jpeg" will retain meta data tags that has biffed Internet Exploder in the past. I have the older version of PS 6.0 and its not an issue but it is the case with CS. I believe the safest is "save for web" which stips out everything except for the image.

Or is was that an issue with old versions of IE?

By the way, when you set up and finish a new selection-layer make sure to defringe it. That blends it into the underlying layer nicely without an ugly halo around the selection. That step is accomplished from the menu bar at "Layer/Matting/Defringe." Usually one pixel is enough but sometimes one or two more is good.

Harmon

Cool, something else to check out. When are you going to publish the Harmon Photoshop reference guide to capture all this good stuff? :lol:

I believe the safest is "save for web" which stips out everything except for the image.

Thanks Dan-oh. I have not used many of the features of Photoshop, but "Save for Web" is one that I use all the time. It is my preferred way to scale my images down to less than 125kb so they will upload nicely to cache pages. Most of the 2000+ images that I have uploaded were saved that way. RM

Hmm, should this be in 'Banter' thread or the 'This Just In' thread?  Tough choices to make.

I took time out from geocaching to set up this years Christmas light display  in the yard.  You like?  ;)

That is awesome Dan-oh!!!

If possible it would be great take the family/friends to see that live!

You should setup a holiday night cache out front! :)

The video is making it's rounds on internet websites; no one seems to know where it came from.

Hmm, should this be in 'Banter' thread or the 'This Just In' thread?  Tough choices to make.

I took time out from geocaching to set up this years Christmas light display  in the yard.  You like?  :)

You should setup a holiday night cache out front! ;)

The video is making it's rounds on internet websites; no one seems to know where it came from.

"I told two friends and they told two friends and so on and so on....." :)

I was thinking of asking for a pair of walkie talkies for xmas! I'm one of these people that can never thing of anything I want and I suddenly got this idea from the San Diego Events thread today! So would you guys have any recommendations on a pair of good walkie talkies? What features do I want/don't want, etc.? I'm looking for something reasonably priced!

Edited by TrailGators
I was thinking of asking for a pair of walkie talkies for xmas! I'm one of these people that can never thing of anything I want and I suddenly got this idea from the San Diego Events thread today! So would you guys have any recommendations on a pair of good walkie talkies? What features do I want/don't want, etc.? I'm looking for something reasonably priced!

bought mine in a two pack from costco. motorolas. have the ability to send 12miles ( supposed to have a FCC card to used that frequency though) price is about $50-$70

A quick Photoshop question:

How do I fill an object to have a clear background instead of a color?

Eg. - I draw a circle and want the inside to be clear.

Anyone?

Thanks, RM

Start by opening a new Background image, duplicate the Background Layer to get a Background Copy layer, deactivate the Background Layer, draw the circle onto the Background Copy Layer using the Elliptical Marquee Tool while holding the Alt and Shift keys, Once you have the circular selection then use the Eraser Tool to erase inside the marquee.

If you want the circle to be perfectly centered then use a horizontal and a vertical guide line set to 50% Position, do that using the menu-bar selection "View/New Guide."

Move the crosshair cursor to the center-point where the two guidelines intersect, watch to see that the crosshair changes color when aligned right over the intersection point. With the cursor aligned push and hold the Alt and Shift keys down and then click and drag a perfectly centered circle right out of the intersection point.

No charge,

Harmon

You should setup a holiday night cache out front!  :)

Chuy, very good on out Snopes-ing me! I'm the one in our office that bust all the FOAFs and urban legends with that site.

And TrailGators, I'm just yanking your chain. Its not my place at all but very cool, if its real. ;)

Chuy, very good on out Snopes-ing me! I'm the one in our office that bust all the FOAFs and urban legends with that site.

And TrailGators, I'm just yanking your chain. Its not my place at all but very cool, if its real. ;)

If it is real, I want to go there. Harmon - Could you do that with Photoshop?

Edited by RocketMan

You should setup a holiday night cache out front!  :D

And TrailGators, I'm just yanking your chain. Its not my place at all but very cool, if its real. :)

Seems like everyone is yanking my chain lately! ;) Anyhow, Dan-oh take it as a compliment that I thought you were capable of coming up with something like that! :)

By the way, it sure looked real to me! Now I'll have to save all my geeky questions about controllers, etc. for the guy that actually did that!

It it is real, I want to go there. Harmon - Could you do that with Photoshop?

Yes, with Photoshop and ULead Media Studio Pro.

On the other hand you can do it for real at your place using Omron CPM2C Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs).

Start by opening a new Background image, duplicate the Background Layer to get a Background Copy layer, deactivate the Background Layer, draw the circle onto the Background Copy Layer using the Elliptical Marquee Tool while holding the Alt and Shift keys, Once you have the circular selection then use the Eraser Tool to erase inside the marquee.

If you want the circle to be perfectly centered then use a horizontal and a vertical guide line set to 50% Position, do that using the menu-bar selection "View/New Guide."

Move the crosshair cursor to the center-point where the two guidelines intersect, watch to see that the crosshair changes color when aligned right over the intersection point. With the cursor aligned push and hold the Alt and Shift keys down and then click and drag a perfectly centered circle right out of the intersection point.

No charge,

Harmon

Thanks Harmon. I will give it a try. I found that I can also just change the Opacity to 0 to get a transparent fill. Ok, now how do I change the line width on the shapes that I draw?

I know Photoshop is powerful, but it sure isn't intuitive!