San Diego Banter

TrailGators

***** Space Available for Photoshop CS2 Lesson 10 Cast Reflections *****

Good idea RocketMan. In fact I've spent some time on the lesson tonight, but mostly trying to select a really good example from our gallery of San Diego Geocacher photos. Right now it's a shot of the Splashboat being towed by the Splashtruck toward our last Lake Powell outing.

No, wait a minute, the Edit Tab goes away in no time at all so that won't work.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Harmon,

I wanted to take a monent (and a bit of space) to introduce myself and tell you how much I enjoy your Photoshop Lessons.

I began lurking here since late June after I discovered Geocaching (and these forums). I purchased Photoshop a few weeks ago when I felt that I had out grown the photo editing software I was using. I have just started working my way through your first few lessons.

Thanks again. I'll upload a bit of my "home work" when I figure how!?!

Jeff / drexotic

[Grammer edit]

Edited by drexotic
Harmon,

I wanted to take a monent (and a bit of space) to introduce myself and tell you how much I enjoy your Photoshop Lessons.

I began lurking here since late June after I discovered Geocaching (and these forums). I purchased Photoshop a few weeks ago when I felt that I had out grown the photo editing software I was using. I have just started working my way through your first few lessons.

Thanks again. I'll upload a bit of my "home work" when I figure how!?!

Jeff / drexotic

[Grammer edit]

Jeff,

Welcome to the crazy Banter Thread. Glad you have been amongst the silent majority that watches our Photoshop antics. That's one of the spooky parts of our efforts, knowing that many watch but few post.

You will really enjoy Photoshop and will have much to learn. First encounter with Photoshop can be intimidating compared to light versions of image editors. On one hand it is intended for serious image editing but it supports prank editing ever-so well.

You'll be happy to join the growing collection of devotees that have contributed work to the Thread. We may have a few of the most twisted minds of the southwest Forum. One thing for sure, our efforts have not shown up on the Geocaching banner photo.

So inquiring minds will want to know what sort of unusual work will come from the inner sanctum of a veterinary practice.

So what image editor have you been using? Are you familiar with layers and selections? Fill us in a bit.

Regards,

Harmon

So inquiring minds will want to know what sort of unusual work will come from the inner sanctum of a veterinary practice.

So what image editor have you been using? Are you familiar with layers and selections? Fill us in a bit.

Regards,

Harmon

Not surprisingly, my practice has more than its share of "EXOTIC" creatures and their owners (a few of which are Geocachers I've come to find). The greatest protion of our patients are Birds (mostly parrots), rabbits, "small mammals" (rats, hamsters, chinchillas, guinea pigs, etc.) and the more commonly kept reptiles (constrictor and colubrid snakes, iguanas, bearded dragons turtles and tortoises and the like). WE also see a smattering of the even mor exotic, primates, fish, spiders . . .

I've mostly used the "fix the brightness, contrast, hue . . . photo editors. I used Microsofts Picture-it and have used their Digital Image Pro.

I was given Photoshop 4 several years ago and spent a little time experimenting with it but had no documents and my time was very limited then so it went on the back burner.

I have to tell you that I have learned more in the last few days doing your lessons than I learned in many many hours of poking around (with Photoshop 4) on my own.

I look forward to contributing to the visual cacophony!

Jeff

Should make a thread called........computer stoopid people.........could someone explain to me or tell me what happened........I FINALLY......after a long time.....and reading all the forum input got my caches for Saturday loaded to my palm......BUT......there is none of the writings.....you know all the descriptive stuff and the hints and the logs.....just says who placed it the date and that is it......how do I get the rest of the info downloaded into GSAK to get to my palm.....please break down the steps into fine detail........I can drive a jeep over rocks, save a persons life......put stents in coronary arteries but I cant for the life of me put those darned descriptions on my palm......sigh......sigh.......

....please break down the steps into fine detail........

Well, let's start with the basics: You have GSAK on your PC and Cachemate on your Palm - is that correct? Do you have all the info you think you need in GSAK?

nope because when I highlighted and looked at the caches they dont have much info either. I must have not pushed a button somewhere I do have cachemate and Gsak on my pc

....please break down the steps into fine detail........

Well, let's start with the basics: You have GSAK on your PC and Cachemate on your Palm - is that correct? Do you have all the info you think you need in GSAK?

nope because when I highlighted and looked at the caches they dont have much info either. I must have not pushed a button somewhere I do have cachemate and Gsak on my pc

Did you use the same GPX file that you got for your PQ? If you open and save that file with Mapsource you will lose most of the info in the GPX file.

OK - let's take a look at your pocket queries - do they look something like this (ignore the red circles - have you selected GPX format)?

pq_crit3.jpg

OK - let's take a look at your pocket queries - do they look something like this (ignore the red circles - have you selected GPX format)?

pq_crit3.jpg

Let me look at my pq's........seems like centuries since I set them up and I havent put anything onto Mapsource......HA........just trying to get to the palm....YI YI YI....

OK now I dont have anything in my GSAK.......finally. NOw to get the pq back in there......which I was doing a page at a time.......is there an easier way?I really appreciate you 2 helping me out....I was pretty proud of myself that i got this far with your other help.

A page at a time? Just dump the whole PQ in GSAK and export it.

So don't select or highlight any records...don't touch anything....just open the PQ and go right to cachemate export....

Edited by TrailGators
OK now I dont have anything in my GSAK.......finally. NOw to get the pq back in there......which I was doing a page at a time.......is there an easier way?I really appreciate you 2 helping me out....I was pretty proud of myself that i got this far with your other help.

So don't select or highlight any records...don't touch anything....just open the PQ and go right to cachemate export....

I have moved into brain dead........by opening the pq do you mean hitting the name of the PQ or the preview column?

I have moved into brain dead........by opening the pq do you mean hitting the name of the PQ or the preview column?

Open the GPX file with GSAK.

For some reason I am not able to get the file across as a whole.......most likely because i have been up since 430 and need to be up at that hour again in the morning.....not thinking clearly and computers are not real friendly with me :rolleyes: or something like that :unsure: I will sleep on it and maybe it will become crystal clear in the morning.......or afternoon when I get home.

got to save the sick ya know. thanks for all your help tonight. I am on the right path.

Regards,

Harmon

Not surprisingly, my practice has more than its share of "EXOTIC" creatures and their owners (a few of which are Geocachers I've come to find). The greatest protion of our patients are Birds (mostly parrots), rabbits, "small mammals" (rats, hamsters, chinchillas, guinea pigs, etc.) and the more commonly kept reptiles (constrictor and colubrid snakes, iguanas, bearded dragons turtles and tortoises and the like). WE also see a smattering of the even mor exotic, primates, fish, spiders . . .

I've mostly used the "fix the brightness, contrast, hue . . . photo editors. I used Microsofts Picture-it and have used their Digital Image Pro.

I was given Photoshop 4 several years ago and spent a little time experimenting with it but had no documents and my time was very limited then so it went on the back burner.

I have to tell you that I have learned more in the last few days doing your lessons than I learned in many many hours of poking around (with Photoshop 4) on my own.

I look forward to contributing to the visual cacophony!

Jeff

Ooo, colubrid snakes, gross us out. Birds and snakes huh? What ever happened to cats and dogs?

Delighted that you find the lessons both interesting and useful. Looking forward to your participation.

In GSAK, try the "File - Get data via e-mail" menu

Ahimsa, I just did this and GSAK is looking through my archive of over 1000 emails...and yes, I did check the box next to "only check new messages"! So far this isn't faster.... :anibad:

I set up a gmail account that is only used for pocket queries - I've never actually looked at in gmail itself to see if the emails are just piling up, but it only takes a minute or two to get my 5 pocket queries.

In GSAK, try the "File - Get data via e-mail" menu

Ahimsa, I just did this and GSAK is looking through my archive of over 1000 emails...and yes, I did check the box next to "only check new messages"! So far this isn't faster.... :anibad:

I set up a gmail account that is only used for pocket queries - I've never actually looked at in gmail itself to see if the emails are just piling up, but it only takes a minute or two to get my 5 pocket queries.

That makes sense. The problem is that I put each one of my PQs into it's own database in cachemate. So this won't work for me...

Ooo, colubrid snakes, gross us out. Birds and snakes huh? What ever happened to cats and dogs?

I've been working (as a veterinarian) on the stranger of things for 22 years now! I spent some of that time (the first few years) working on dogs and cats. Last 19 has been limited to the Exotic. (Somebody has to fix 'em!)

Jeff

Yup, they are just sitting there, using up 10% of my 2669 MB :anibad: That's since May, so I guess I'll have to figure out how to make them auto-delete.

Yup, they are just sitting there, using up 10% of my 2669 MB :anibad: That's since May, so I guess I'll have to figure out how to make them auto-delete.

There is an option in GSAK to delete them but that doesn't work either... :blink:

I've been working (as a veterinarian) on the stranger of things for 22 years now! I spent some of that time (the first few years) working on dogs and cats. Last 19 has been limited to the Exotic. (Somebody has to fix 'em!)

Jeff

Gosh, that's exactly what my cardiologist said about working on Texans.

So if somebody brings an Anaconda in that just swallowed a cat then you would probably work on the Anaconda not the cat. Right?

So if somebody brings an Anaconda in that just swallowed a cat then you would probably work on the Anaconda not the cat. Right?

You mean a Burmese Python?

5088791.jpg

MIAMI -- Al Cruz, captain of Miami-Dade Fire Rescue anti-venom unit; Danny Lima, park naturalist at the Sense of Wonder Nature Center at A.D. Barnes Park, center, and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Charles Seifert hold up a 12-foot-long Burmese Python. The python is suspected of swallowing a 15-pound cat whole, according to Cruz. (10/12/05 AP photo)

You mean a Burmese Python?

5088791.jpg

MIAMI -- Al Cruz, captain of Miami-Dade Fire Rescue anti-venom unit; Danny Lima, park naturalist at the Sense of Wonder Nature Center at A.D. Barnes Park, center, and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Charles Seifert hold up a 12-foot-long Burmese Python. The python is suspected of swallowing a 15-pound cat whole, according to Cruz. (10/12/05 AP photo)

Dang! no thanks for that. All I grew up with was Diamond Backs, Copper Heads, and Cotton Mouths.

Which end do you stuff the Tums into?

You know, I just realized that you could start a really interesting series of Geocaches with your access to exotic swag.

Edited by SD Rowdies
I can drive a jeep over rocks, save a persons life......put stents in coronary arteries but I cant for the life of me put those darned descriptions on my palm......sigh......sigh.......

Hi Smilinglady - Lets see if we can get that smile back on your face.

Reguarding your e-mail about the error you are getting when running CMConvert.:

After getting to work, I checked on the name of the application that manages the Palm Hot Sync uploads and it is called instapp.exe which is the Install Tool (Not Hot Sync Mgr). Here is where it is located on my work computer (look where it says Address).

03a2f377-3fee-4bc7-92a8-00cdd0bd2d1a.jpg

Run the application and if there is anything waiting to be installed, select it and remove it and then try the CMConvert/Hot Sync process over again.

Note: Once you get this working, you can also use GSAK to prepare the Cachemate Hot Sync file (GSAK actually uses CMConvert behind the scenes).

RocketMan

Edited by RocketMan
Thank you THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! I did it........my palm now has some readable stuff on it...........finally!!!!! YIPPEE  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I am off to geocache......YIPPEE the modern way YIPPEE

By George I think she's got it! :D

Out of curiosity and for future training sessions....which part messed you up?

the GPX was the first part that goofed me up and now it is reading some que thing.....but that I hope to fix when I get home.......these darned little modern devices just are totally for the brain smart not the brain dead B)