Electronic Mosquito Repellerss?!?

I saw these Sunbeam Electronic Mosquito Repellers listed in a catalog. I tried googling for them to see if this was a viable solution, but I didn't find much.

It just seems like it's too good to be true and I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has more information or perhaps has tried these out.

I'll probably stick with my deet, but I just love gadgets.

I'm also a pessimist, so I have trouble believing most advertisers claims

Thanks for your help

-- John

I've tried a couple of them, and as far as I can tell, they do nothing more than separate fools from their money. They don't work at all.

Agreed! I got some free one time and tried them out a few times. They emitted a high frequency noise but didnt do a thing to discourage mosquitos. Matter of fact, they may have lured even more skeeters in! :rolleyes:

These things have been around in various forms for some time. They used to be marketed to repel cockroaches. Various studies have shown that they don't work. :D

yup and they bin on the TVerison too -

they dunt work atol! said the box -

don't waist yer dollers

\

We took some of them to the Everglades with us.

My husband gave me one, had me step out of the car, and then locked me out for a few minutes. :D

I thought I was gonna die. I think they were worse with the electronic repeller thingy. I was swarmed. :lol: My husband thought it was hilarious. :lol:

I've got a combo thing-a-ma-jig that has one of those in it.

Also includes a Red Strobe Safety Light, Flash Light, Flourecent Table Light, AM-FM-HAM Reciever Radio, TV, & a LOUD A** manual siren!!

Made by JEEP no less!

(Or should I say "for" JEEP. Anyways it's got the JEEP logo on it)

I used the Skeeter Repeller only ONE TIME!!

I turned it on, and could barely hear this obnoxious very high pitch squeal.

The dog started crying and howling.

The cat run away hissing like it'd been attacked

And every Skeeter for 3 miles came running!!

I had turned the TV on to see what kind of reception it would get.

The light on it drew them in.

So, I thought "What the heck" let's try this thing to see if it really works?

It worked all right!!

Called them all for dinner!!

I can just see the guy that programmed this thing sitting back laughing his butt off at all of us, because he used the Skeeter "mating call" instead. :lol:

:D:lol:

D-man :lol:

I like the machines you put in your yard. They attract mosquitos by the gross and kill them all. You dump bags full of the suckers in the trash. Since mosquitos don't migrate you can clear out a good chuck of the lands around your house of the annoying blood suckers. Right up until the wind blows more in and you have to start over.

The theory is that these things make the same sound as the male mosquito. Once the female's mated, she avoids males and so avoids this thing (and it's the females who suck the juices out of you but I'm not going anywhere with that...)

The problem is that if she _hasn't_ yet mated, she hears these gadgets as big hunky male mozzies and comes flying in for a date!

So, if the mozzies aren't screwed, you are...

Look up the resent thread on repellants and then find the post by the MD at the ehd he referance a study done by a University. Or look up in the past issues of Today's Cache for the article and referance. But basically in the study done electronic devices provide NO protection. So I guess save your money.

Now can you tell me why people post if they have nothing to contribute to a thread?

cheers