Park Size

G-O-Joe

do you think there is a problem with a park being to small??

this park i want to place a cach has only 7 trees and has houses on one side and a road on the other but i have a great spot for a micro. I have permission from the park people to place it. I am just afraid it will bring trouble with the neighbors.

I don't think a park can be too small.

I don't particularly like micros however. My main concern would be your intentions

Are you just placing the cache there to place a cache, or is there something cool, or interesting that you want to highlight to your area's cachers...

Well, like I said, ask yourself if there's any particular reason for wanting to place a cache there other than that you want to place a cache.

And if you still think it's a good idea, then I'd recomend going to all the neighbors with houses adjacent to the park with geocaching brochures, and explain what geocaching is and what exactly they will be seeing with park visitors so they don't get alarmed...

I think it would be fine, but I would suggest making the clue pretty specific so people aren't searching, and searching, and searching (and possibly looking suspicious) if they don't find it right away.

Since I hurt my knee, I'm newly appreciative of micros and easy caches I wouldn't have tried to find before.

Also, if the park is that small, you might be introducing people to something they didn't know was there before, and that is good. :rolleyes:

I say GO FOR IT! If it’s a public park, the people that live there are probably very used to people doing all sorts of things in the park. Why would walking around in a public park be suspicious? If the park is REALLY that small, you probably aren't even going to be using the GPS by the time you reach the area. I just can't see how a neighbor would be alarmed by geocachers any more than some other park visitor.

If you feel like evangelizing geocaching by going door-to-door with brochures, that’s your prerogative. If the park manager says yes, then don't even bother with asking the neighbors.

As for a reason, give me a break! How many random cedar trees along the edge of a field are really THAT interesting? Place the cache for the sake of placing the cache, and please DON'T make me do algebra!

To mangle Sir Edmund Hillary, "We place it because it isn't there."

While it's nice to have a reason for a particular cache location - be it scenery or whatever - there's no reason NOT to place one if it meets the guidelines. Heck, a cache in a dump is better than no cache at all!

If it's a park, residential people shouldn't suspect a thing... A park is for people to gather. I wouldn't worry about it, I would worry about muggles (sp) being around if the finder were to try and find it.

It's a park. People gather. Neighbors see people at the park, they suspect nothing.

I've been approached by a neighbor who wondered what we were up to. Once I explained geocaching, she was fine with it. It's a park, and as long as you have permission, I don't see a reason why the neighbors would be unreasonably suspicious. (Just don't hide a cache right on their back wall or anything...)

Contrary to some peoples idealism of all caches have to have some WOW value if that was true then there would be very few caches. My goal is to put the approperate size cache for an area. Why put a micro in the woods if it will take a 5 gallon bucket, micro stages are okay. But on some urban cache or caches with hardly any space to hide a bigger container then hide a small one. I say go for it but look and see if you can put something bigger.

cheers

There's one like that by my house. It's not the neighbors. It's the damned kids. What a challenge!

Yeah! What are kids doing in the park anyway?

;);):D

First. Kids on bikes. (There's a little makeshift track). Then they leave, I go poking around approaching GZ, and I look over my shoulder and see two little kids in the playground. I looked further and saw their mom sitting on a bench staring at ME.

I was outta there.

...I am just afraid it will bring trouble with the neighbors.

I hate to be in the minority here, but if you think it will cause trouble with the neighbors, why place it? Surely there must be a better place.

The problems in SC appear to have started because some "neighbors" had a problem with geocachers and contacted their representative.

Even if it never gets to that point, one of the neighbors might just get fed up and steal the cache. It won't be the first time.