Poison Ivy ???

clearpath

There are all sorts of memory joggers. One is "Leaves of three; let it be." The problem is other plants also have 3 leaves; and poison ivy can have 5 or 7 leaves. Another talks about red stems -- but other plants have red stems, etc.

How to really identify poison ivy: The center leaf is basically symmetrical (like a leaf on any tree or plant). The outer leaves are clearly and obviously NOT; some people say they are shaped like a child's mitten. However, the leaves on each side of the stem, are mirror images of each other.

Imagine laying an oval leaf on the table, then put the child's right mitten on the left side of the leaf and vice versa.

S = stickers (thorns, stick-a-burrs, etc)

Just check a cache page where that appears, because they explain it.

Example:

PiTS factor for this cache today is 2:0:1

Pi = Poison Ivy(0-9)

T = Ticks(0-9)

S = Stickers/Stick Tights(0-9)

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by DustyJacket on April 14, 2003 at 10:01 AM.]

I've allways used the "leaves of three" rule. It is important to note that the size and shape of the leaves is highly variable, as is the color. Two things to remember, in the leaf cluster, the center leaf is allways separated from the side two by a short stalk, and the plant can also be identified by it's white berries. (DO NOT EAT)

1163926_200.jpg

eyes.GIF

"Searching with my good eye closed"