Oh, Come On!

I ordered my Explorist 500 on the 7th via TigerGPS. I've been tracking it since then as I eagerly await it's arrival.

I was delighted when I saw that it shipped to Lakewood, NJ the same day I ordered it. I was tickled when I saw that it arrived in Secaucus, NJ on the 8th. And then on the 9th, it stayed there. But then on the 10th, it stayed there, too. So FINALLY, on the 11th... it stayed there.

Come on, UPS, lets get a move on. I'm part of the Now generation. I want it now.

I admit. I'm spoiled by amazon.com. Even when I order something on their shipper saver, I still get my orders within a couple of days.

Yet, there's so many things I want to do wrong with my 500. So many stupid questions I can't ask.

Hate waiting. Hate it.

I ordered my Explorist 500 on the 7th via TigerGPS. I've been tracking it since then as I eagerly await it's arrival.

I was delighted when I saw that it shipped to Lakewood, NJ the same day I ordered it. I was tickled when I saw that it arrived in Secaucus, NJ on the 8th. And then on the 9th, it stayed there. But then on the 10th, it stayed there, too. So FINALLY, on the 11th... it stayed there.

Come on, UPS, lets get a move on. I'm part of the Now generation. I want it now.

I admit. I'm spoiled by amazon.com. Even when I order something on their shipper saver, I still get my orders within a couple of days.

Yet, there's so many things I want to do wrong with my 500. So many stupid questions I can't ask.

Hate waiting. Hate it.

Then pay the extra to have it shipped Next Day.

Glad your post was informative for us all. :laughing:

Kenneth

Think the cheapest shipping UPS offers is 8 days... Even if addrerss is accross town..

If you don't pay for the quicker service, you won't get it. I had two packages ordered and being shipped via UPS. They were both coming from the same place, but one order had some items I needed NOW so I paid for a quicker service. Tracking showed them traveling from California to Kentucky together, until they got to the local UPS sorting facility. The rush item came out the next day. The other package sat in the facility for 3 days before they finally brought it.

I ship a fair amount of stuff and I have to say the the good ole' USPS has my vote. I ship things Priority Mail and they get to the other coast in 2-3 days for less than $4. If I shipped by any other carrier, it would cost at least four times that for 2-day service. Even shipping overseas has been pleasant. Usually four days to Europe. (Just don't ship ANYTHING to Canada via their postal system!)

This just in!

Tracking shows that it landed in Vernon, CA at 7:53 this morning. :D

As far as having to sign for it... :D I included in the shipping instructions that if nobody was home, they could leave it at the door.

But UPS is always hit and miss. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I really don't like UPS, but they're the big kid on the block, even if they do beat the hell out of everything they touch.

I remember years ago, a movie company sent a box filled with thousands of live roaches for a bug scene. UPS lost it. Can you imagine what happened when the poor slob in the dead letter department opened that up, thinking they were about to get something really cool from a movie company? hahaha

Hate waiting. Hate it.

That's not at all surprising. Didn't you know that UPS doesn't deliver on weekends or holidays? If it didn't make it to your home on the 8th, you're not going to get it until the 11th.

Think the cheapest shipping  UPS offers is 8 days... Even if addrerss is accross town..

Dale.

Thats really weird, because I think the cheapest is Ground service and when ever I have anything shipped to me from Mass, CT, RI, parts of NH, NY, VT and ME. I get it the next day. However, if it is supposed to be so many days until it is delivered they will not deliver it early in my experience.. If it takes 3 days from North Carolina, and it gets to Boston in a day, they will not bring it to western ma, or put it on a truck for delivery until the day it is supposed to be delivered.

Edited by circa76

Ummm... ;)

Just checked the tracking and for some unknown reason...

Apr 12, 2005

5:21 P.M. VERNON, CA, US ARRIVAL SCAN

3:06 P.M. VERNON, CA, US DEPARTURE SCAN

7:53 A.M. VERNON, CA, US ARRIVAL SCAN

So, they scanned it when it arrived, then scanned it when it departed, then scanned it back in at the same place.

Ya gotta love UPS.

Ummm... :rolleyes:

Apr 12, 2005

5:21 P.M. VERNON, CA, US ARRIVAL SCAN

3:06 P.M. VERNON, CA, US DEPARTURE SCAN

7:53 A.M. VERNON, CA, US ARRIVAL SCAN

So, they scanned it when it arrived, then scanned it when it departed, then scanned it back in at the same place.

Ya gotta love UPS.

Same town does not necessarily equal same place.

Ummm... :rolleyes:

Apr 12, 2005 

5:21 P.M.    VERNON, CA, US    ARRIVAL SCAN

3:06 P.M.    VERNON, CA, US    DEPARTURE SCAN

7:53 A.M.    VERNON, CA, US    ARRIVAL SCAN

Ya gotta love UPS.

I've had issues like this before with UPS, the claim was made to me that the scans don't necessarily go into the system in order, or even at the correct time. I've had situations just like you have, where it seems like the package is stuck half way across the county, and it does show up on time anyway. Just chalk it up to the tracking system being behind the times with regards to where the package actually is. All in all, UPS gives pretty good service, as far as I'm concerned.

Another post was made in regards to USPS - as long as it's Priority Mail!!! I've had excellent results with this thus far, usually quite inexpensive to ship, and you receive it in half the time UPS takes. Throw something in a padded envelope and away it goes!

I ordered DirectRoute and a 500 last week. I had to have the 500 shipped to a friend who lives nearby because Harmony requires you have a land line at the address.

Here's the tracking note for the Explorist today:

Apr 13, 2005

1:37 P.M.

MEMPHIS, TN, US

THE RECEIVER WAS UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN ON THE 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE

I even emailed my friend yesterday anticipating today's delivery, but he never replied. I don't know where he is.

For DirectRoute, I got this today:

Apr 13, 2005 02:28:00 PM MEMPHIS TN US CORRECT STREET # NEEDED, NOT DELIVERED

That just means the driver is an idiot. I double checked the address, and it's all there and I've been home all day.

Grrr.

Jamie

That happens to me when my regular driver is on vacation or not driving that day for some reason. The substitute drives out here, turns around in the cul-de-sac and claims they couldn't find the address.

Packages with little maps drawn on them have arrived a day or two late. :rolleyes:

I called UPS and gave a verbal description of the address in addition to confirming the physical address. I wonder if I should have provided coordinates, too.

Also, surprisingly I was able to change the delivery address for the GPS from my friend's address to my own apartment.

Tomorrow I should have both the GPS and DirectRoute delivered here. Hope something doesn't get messed up.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
Also, surprisingly I was able to change the delivery address for the GPS from my friend's address to my own apartment.

That is one nice thing about UPS, you can change the address without charge (for now). Fed-Ex charges $10 to change it.

FedEx is still trying to recoup the money from that plane crash Tom Hanks was in. :huh: