Do You Think I Found The Wrong Cache?

me and the gf are new to geocaching, and yesterday went on our second outing. all went well and we found 6/7 we tried for. after coming home, logging our finds, and thinking about it. one of our finds kinda doesnt add up.

its this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&decrypt=y&log=

so we look around, and i found what i believe to be the cache, after just a minute or two. (the hint really helped :( ) and out from a knot in the side of a tree i pull a plastic baggie. the baggie was tied with rubber type hair band, and contained a piece of paper and a few trinkets.

so we though it was kind of an odd container with what weve found so far. but new at the game, we havent seen much yet. we opened it anyways. the piece of paper was rolled up inside a teddy bear shaped mood ring. and the two other items was a penny (maybe a wheat penny, i didnt even pull it out) and a flattened penny with the lords prayer on it.

we unrolled the paper expecting to find a log similar to what weve foud before. but all it was, was a single piece of stationary type paper with a poem on it. i dont recall the whole poem but it was on the order of "im a knot in a tree, dont be afarid of me". i thought it was odd, but again, were so new we havent seen much yet. so at the end of the poem it says something like, ill leave these items in the knot and check back week to see what its brought me. again, we thought it was strange, but signed the paper anyways just like it was the log.

my gf liked the mood ring a lot so we took it and left a rather nice necklace she had brought along for a trade item. we replaced the bag as it was, and left to catch the rest we had before it got dark.

well when we get home and i start logging our find, i read through the descrition again. and it seems it was a micro. supposed to be a 35mm film container with a log only in it. although reading through past logs it seems others had left trinkets too. but none were listed as leaving the items we saw.

so now im wondering. did i find the right cache? perhaps someone not really into geocaching saw it and thinks its just a big trading game or something? theres a trailer within 100ft of the hide, although different property. perhaps someone that lives there has seen so many people messing there theyve decided to join in?

Someone could of left that in a knothole for kicks.  It takes all kinds to populate this world.

Like geocachers?

I would guess it's two adolecents with crushes or possibly a game being played between an adult and child. Kind of like the episode of The Brady Bunch where Cindy starts getting presents from a secret admirer.

I would guess it's two adolecents with crushes or possibly a      being played between an      and child. Kind of like the episode of The Brady Bunch where Cindy starts getting presents from a secret admirer.

I agree but who knows? Well just have to see what the owner says.

Was the cache in the baggie near the coordinates on the web page?

the cords were spot on. and the placement wouldve made it very hard for a short person to get to it. the tree was about 3 ft behind an iron fence. im 6'0" and had to get a stick to get it out of the tree. youd need to be very tall to be able to just bend over the fence to get it. everything adds up except we didnt find what it says we were supposed to.

ill let everyone know what the owner says when i hear from him :(

well i heard from the owner. seems what we found wasnt it afterall, but in the right spot. heres his response to my email

"No, that wasn't my cache that you found. But you did find it where my cache was supposed to be. Let your log stand.

When I read your log I knew what had happened. Several of my caches have mysteriously transmogrified in the past and it now seems Pigeon Roost has suffered a similar fate.

I'll replace the baggie with a film canister as soon as practicable. Thanks for being observant enough to know that something was amiss and for bringing the matter to my attention."

so it seems my suspision was correct. someones taken the original and replaced it with the "poser" cache.

now ill ask for everyones opinion on this. would it be improper of me to go back and get the necklace my girlfriend left?

it was a rather nice necklace. nothing outrageous, but much nicer than what we took for trade. it didnt bother me when we traded, i like the idea of leaving a nicer item than we take. but i just dont like the idea of leaving such a nice trade for someone who muggled a cache.

It sounds like you found what was left of the cache, more or less. Your trade was good. The only reason to take it back is if you felt that it was about to be stolen. That would depend on the track record of the type of cache swap you are seeing. Do they come back? If not you are probably good to go. If they do...you might want to trade that neckless back out.

well from what the poem/note said in the baggie, im guessing the person who planted this "poser" cache will be checking back pretty frequently. the last line of the note/poem read something like "ill be checking next week to see what the knot has brought me". i dont think theyd be trading anything back out, im guessing theyll take the gift that the knot has brought them :(

i really dont mind leaving it. id just hate to see it going to a muggler. and from the note, im guessing they check on it periodicly. and theyre only doing it to get an item or 2. and i truely believe theyll be back to take whatever objects continues to show up in that knot.

theres a trailer within 100' or so of the cache. perhaps the occupants have went and checked it out after seeing a couple people logging it.

as far as having the owner just place it in the film container for a future trade item. im not against that at all. except 1. i seriously doubt it would fit in a film canister, and 2. i dont think itll stick around for another cacher to get.

If someone accidentally found the cache, and was good enough to trade anyway instead of just taking it, then they are not a muggle, but they are a cacher, just not the same as us. Since your first intent was for the necklace to be passed on to someone else, it shouldn't bother you that the one who may get it doesn't play online like the rest of us.

See this log for my story of a similar situation

fishing fools, i have no idea who jem and scout are

Read the book "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

click on the link for a summary of the book. but please take the time to read the whole book. It can be gotten at any library

or see the movie starring Gregory Peck.

Either one will NOT be wasted time!! :)

Both are at the top of my lists of favorite books/movies of all time.

edited to fix link to summary

Edited by gridlox
and out from a knot in the side of a tree i pull a plastic baggie. the baggie was tied with rubber type hair band, and contained a piece of paper and a few trinkets.

Things like this need to be nipped in the buns as fast as we can stop it...Next thing you know a web site will be created for it. People from all around the world will start hiding tiny little caches all over. They won't be satisfied with that so they will soon graduate up to larger cache containers and expect you to trade things like Mc toys for the item you removed. Before long these people will want to communicate with each other so they will create a forum with cute little names and pictures so they can relate to each other. I forsee them getting "hooked" on their little hobby/game/spot to the point they talk about 12 step programs but none of them will admit they are obsessed to the point to start step one. This 12 step program will start their minds to thinking and they will create multi-leg caches. They will hide their obsession from their friends and families...all because of a little baggie with trading trinkets in a hole in a tree...STOP IT!!! STOP IT NOW!!!! I beg you to stop it now while we can...wait...something sounds too familiar with this...Hi my name is Washington Red Bear...and I am a geocacher. :)

Edited by WARedBear