Puzzle Caches - First To Solve

:D

Maybe there should be a special award for FTS ( First to Solve )

What I propose, is when you figure out the coords to a puzzle cache, Write a message, email the coords to the owner. The owner verifies the coords and awards the FTS.

The reward ?? - Maybe, just bragging rights.

Second condition: One entry per person only.

Third condition: No posts to the web site prior to the FTF and owner acknowledgement.

What say you one, What say you all?

Claude

--SlideRule

There was a first time solver on one of my caches, who solved the puzzle and sent me the solution. He lived in another state so I was pleased that he logged a note thet he solved it. I would not mind if there were a way of logging a solve but not a find on caches.

Seems kinda silly to me.

Anyone can solve a puzzle.  There are websites all over devoted to solving puzzles.  What makes geocaching different is that solving the puzzle will take you to a cool place when you're done.

Hey fly46,

You said "Anyone can solve a puzzle." You must be better at it than me. Here is one I will never find because it is in another region of the US. Olives are Good When you figure it out perhaps you could email me a hint? I gave up pretty quick but would like to know how't is done.

Some puzzles can be quickly solved, others might be impossible for many people. There should be a chance for a reasonable number of cachers to solve it.

Designing a good puzzle for a cache is harder than it looks. For instance, if a puzzle was a list of hundreds of numbers and the coordinates were found by taking every 14th digit , adding 7 to each, discarding the decimal digit of the result and there was no hint at the solution I would consider it a very poor puzzle and a waste of my time. I designed the puzzle for this cache My Dear Watson and think it is pretty fair because there are two sets of hints on the cache page. One set hints on how to solve the puzzle, the other set on how to find the cache without solving the puzzle. I was pleased to see this log for the cache: "Code ? Puzzle ? ...... we don't need no stinkin code. Found the cache with no problems"

If there were a cache location with a fantastic hike and incredible vistas at the end I would consider it very sad if someone placed an impossible to solve puzzle cache there.

Note Added: Thanks for the help, the first hint I got was sufficient for me to solve the puzzle. I suspect that even with a hint, some cachers never will be able to solve it.

Edited by JohnX

I was FTS on a cache that I still haven't gone looking for (N00b Haxxor, although I plan to do it at some point in the future). In most mystery caches the fun part is solving the problem - and it can be even more fun to figure out where the final location of a multi cache is without actually visiting any of the other steps (this is quite possible for many of the "math" type multis).

I don't think there is any need for a special log type - just log a note saying that you've solved the puzzle. If the owner cares he can ask for the solution or remove the note.

The point of Geocaching is to FIND the container. It maybe an easy puzzle to solve, see RK's puaale caches, and very diffuclt to find the container. Or hard to solve and easy to find the container. My caches tend to be a mixture of both. I have done FTS many times and it is fun but have I found the cache, NO. O'well this is just like the thread about FTF.

cheers

There was a first time solver on one of my caches, who solved the puzzle and sent me the solution. He lived in another state so I was pleased that he logged a note thet he solved it. I would not mind if there were a way of logging a solve but not a find on caches.

Seems kinda silly to me.

Anyone can solve a puzzle.  There are websites all over devoted to solving puzzles.  What makes geocaching different is that solving the puzzle will take you to a cool place when you're done.

Hey fly46,

You said "Anyone can solve a puzzle." You must be better at it than me. Here is one I will never find because it is in another region of the US. Olives are Good When you figure it out perhaps you could email me a hint? I gave up pretty quick but would like to know how't is done.

Some puzzles can be quickly solved, others might be impossible for many people. There should be a chance for a reasonable number of cachers to solve it.

Designing a good puzzle for a cache is harder than it looks. For instance, if a puzzle was a list of hundreds of numbers and the coordinates were found by taking every 14th digit , adding 7 to each, discarding the decimal digit of the result and there was no hint at the solution I would consider it a very poor puzzle and a waste of my time. I designed the puzzle for this cache My Dear Watson and think it is pretty fair because there are two sets of hints on the cache page. One set hints on how to solve the puzzle, the other set on how to find the cache without solving the puzzle. I was pleased to see this log for the cache: "Code ? Puzzle ? ...... we don't need no stinkin code. Found the cache with no problems"

If there were a cache location with a fantastic hike and incredible vistas at the end I would consider it very sad if someone placed an impossible to solve puzzle cache there.

Note Added: Thanks for the help, the first hint I got was sufficient for me to solve the puzzle. I suspect that even with a hint, some cachers never will be able to solve it.

ROTFLMAO!

That was great! Solved the puzzle and it took me three minutes or less. :(

However, it's very bad form to give clues for any specific puzzle cache, so I can't tell you.

Now, then, that kind is easy for me. It's the math ones that are difficult. I've been trying to figure out this one since it went live and still no luck.

ROTFLMAO!

That was great! Solved the puzzle and it took me three minutes or less. :(

However, it's very bad form to give clues for any specific puzzle cache, so I can't tell you.

Now, then, that kind is easy for me. It's the math ones that are difficult. I've been trying to figure out this one since it went live and still no luck.

I guess, One mans meat, is another mans poison. That Math Cache took me a couple minutes without pen and paper - 7 equations with 5 unknowns - QED

Seems kinda silly to me.

Hey fly46,

Oh, now THAT'S funny! I like that idea, simple...if you happen to think about it in the correct way. i may have to borrow that idea.

puzzles can be fun. But many of them just give me a headache. Math, now that is fine, that isn't a puzzle to me either. :)

I would just post a note, or go get it if you can. I totally understand though, having been in the position of solving something quickly but having no hope of being FTF (I have some freedom at work, but there are limits). I don't usually even post a note unless I just feel like bugging TT, but that isn't normally the case.

Hey, that TB of yours I took to the UK is having some fun SlideRule. :D

jen

The OP sounds more like armchair caching to me. Not too much in favor of it. Like to solve caches, but getting out there and actually finding the cache is what it is all about.

We like our puzzles around here as much as anyone. When one pops up sometimes someone will post a note that they've solved, sometimes they don't. Most don't telegraph they are going after a cache because someone else might get up earlier than you. It's always a race to get to the cache and our hearts are pumping until we see those blank pages.

Oh, the "Olives" puzzle was neat. No, more than neat, brilliant in it's simplicity and execution.

Have I just had fun... Somone posted on another forum that there was a Never Been Found Puzzle that had not been solved in two years.

Well, out came the ol' SlideRule, and I have sent the owner a solution. If he agrees, I will drive the 200 miles to find the cache.

I will not be FTF but, FTF in two idle years. :grin: Happy :(

Oh, now THAT'S funny! I like that idea, simple...if you happen to think about it in the correct way. i may have to borrow that idea.

It is great that people were able to solve the puzzle so quickly. I zeroed in on the solution to the puzzle immediately but it simply does not work with the resources I had available. I guarantee that some cachers will never be able to solve the puzzle sitting at their computer. The solution to the "Olives" puzzle relies on the assumption of a least common denominator in the use of a..........

I will give no clues on this one.

PS. I have solved it.

I was pleased to see this log for the cache: "Code ? Puzzle ? ...... we don't need no stinkin code. Found the cache with no problems"

Hey that is my log!!! :( Code? We dont' need no stinkin code.

I love the puzzle caches and I usually solve the darn things as soon as they come out, but never get out to be FTF. :grin:

I would like to add in and say get out.....visit and solve this one , not only will the puzzle be a challenge (For some that is) but the cache itself seems to be also.

WITHDEIHDNIN

Speedy38