Walking Or Hiking Stick

Haffy

I use a pair of Leki sticks, As far as lenght they are adjustable, I set mine so that my forearms are level with my elbos at my side, of course from time to time I can change the lenght if need on the trail. Mine are Titanium so they do not wiegh very much, I'm not a big fan of the woodens ones due to the addes weight.

I agree with both of the previous posters.

I have two staffs. I have a wooden one that I made (sorta) a few years ago, and an adjustable aluminum one. The wooden one is about shoulder high. The aluminum one is generally kept slightly longer than elbow high.

As an aside, I love my wooden one but hardly ever use it because it is somewhat of a pain to carry when not in use. The aluminum one can be tossed in a pack to allow me to use my palm, phone, etc.

The folks that taught the hiking stick carving class said the length this a personal preference.

You will tend to grip the stick at a height around the elbow. The reason is your elbow will be ideally at a 90° angle when you grip the stick. Many folks seem to like a bit of extra length for when you are going down hill. Conversely, you "choke up" on the stick when going up hill.

Me, I like mine just under chin height and with a wide top. When resting I tend to cross my hands over the top of the stick and rest my chin in them. When crossing streams I will use it as a third leg to steady myself so I don't have to jump onto unknown ground.

I don't like anything longer because otherwise it would be harder to maneuver in tight spaces and during bushwacking.

I use a stick made of hickory for it strength. I don't feel the weight until I handle Sissy's stick which is ligustrum which can grow wild around here in thick forests like bamboo.

If you are cutting your own, cut it a lot longer than you think you need. After curing, trim it to length.

I just recently upgraded my hiking staff, and the length is about armpit height. I can slide my hand up or down depending on the terrain etc. Its a thick heavy stick and even came with a small compass in the top. And a rubber tip is a good idea also, keeps it from sliding on the rocks. My preference is wood over those new fangled ski pole thingys that some people carry. The noise of those metal things sounds like a garage sale gone nuts in the woods.

Although I have an expensive telescoping stick, I usually use one I made from a wooden rake handle. I drilled a hole near the end and tied on a loop of nylon cord. The cord serves several purposes, for additional grip when climbing, to keep the stick from sliding down the hill if I lose my grip on it, and so that I can let it hang if I need both hands. Although I am 5'10'', I like a shorter stick (4 feet) because it is easier to use in brush, and I can let it hang from my wrist when I need both hands. But then, sometimes on a slope I wish the stick were longer. So there are some trade-offs.

I like one that is cane height, from many hears of trudging with an ice axe. I like to rest my had on top and hold it like a cane. But I have various poles from ski poles both fixed and adjustable, and A Traks adjustable which I now use. I kind of like CR's idea of one chin height as I can see that being very pragmatic. I think the height if longer then a ski pole height, i.e bent elbow, should be based up on balance and I think the rough rule of thumb as mentioned is based upon that.

cheers

I am interested in maybe purchasing or making a hiking stick for the upcoming season and was wondering how one determines the ideal length? I am 5ft 10" so how do you determine where the perfect height will be? El Diablo, help!!! :blink:

About shoulder height is what I use.

I have an aluminum extendible one (which doubles as a monopod) and a bamboo one I made from a stand of bamboo I parked next to when attending the Ft Worth Stock Show a few years back. Very light.

Being a hiker, backpacker, snowshoer and the last three years geocaching.. I use the adjustable poles. Another added feature which I love is the anitshock poles.. :P

They have like a spring in the hand part so your wrists don't get so tired.. After 2 knee surgeries in the last 2 1/2 years they have become indispensible.. Hate to admit I need them but it keeps me out there on the trail which is where I love to be.

My husband broke a golf club (gasp!) and that's what he takes when we go out "hiking." It has come in handy to ward of attacking June Bugs, and bending poison oak. But it's best use yet, poking in tall grass (thanks to all that So. Cal. rain this year), until we hear that familiar, thud!

I want a "real" walking stick though. Saw one at Target for about $19.95, but couldn't bring myself to buy it as an impulse buy. It was metal, and I didn't want to look like a "cross-country skiier." JMO

I made mine out of beech. Maybe a little heavy, but, strong.. In the top I put a cut off brass bolt, I keep a compass scewed in most of the time, but can mount my camera if I want. Part way down is a branch that sticks out to hang the camera , GPS, or anything else I want so I don't have to lay them on the groung when using both hands searching.

mines made of hazel and is about elbow height. best way is to either make yourelf or if going to buy take a long time and try out lots of different lengths until you're happy. it'll depend on what your walking style is and why you want it. i use my stick all the time due to chronic fatigue so not just while caching cross country.

a decent outdoor shop should be able to offer advice but nothings going to beat trying it out and seeing what suits you.