Suggestions For A Good Gps

Grumpy Grampy

My son introduced me to geocaching and now my wife and I are HOOKED.

I'm looking for a good quality GPS. My son has a Magellan Meridian. His seems to be uncannily accurate. I mean he seems to get right on top of the caches with little effort. I want one like his but he wants me to get a different type so we can compare and cross-check.

What do you recommend? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles; just something that is really-really ACCURATE.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Grumpy Grampy

My son introduced me to geocaching and now my wife and I are HOOKED.

I'm looking for a good quality GPS. My son has a Magellan Meridian. His seems to be uncannily accurate. I mean he seems to get right on top of the caches with little effort. I want one like his but he wants me to get a different type so we can compare and cross-check.

What do you recommend? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles; just something that is really-really ACCURATE.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Grumpy Grampy

I like my Magellan Meridian.... Get the one you like, not one to satisfy your son...

Dale

I'm looking for a good quality GPS.  My son has a Magellan Meridian.  His seems to be uncannily accurate.  I mean he seems to get right on top of the caches with little effort.  I want one like his but he wants me to get a different type so we can compare and cross-check. 

I have a friends Meridian Color I've been using for the past few days. I agree it is a very accurate unit and get's me to within 3 feet of the cache every time so far. I think it has a lot to do with being able to see both WAAS sat's most of the time here and it doing WAAS/Averaging as well. I have found that if I stand still for 20-30 seconds when I get very close, the position will "firm up" from the position averaging and give me a more accurate current position to take a new bearing/distance reading from. Do this once or twice and you are on top of the cache.

Another friend has a new Garmin GPSmap 60CS and it was no where near as accurate on a cache in dense woods when I was out with him. For my money my next new GPS will be a Magellan Meridian Platinum with the 3 axis compass (or perhaps the new Explorist 600 if it ever comes out and is as good).

Could be your son wants to keep beating you to the caches? (just kidding - get a Meridian as you will love it).

IVxIV had a good point about using the same software. With the Meridian's you can download huge maps to the SD/MMC cards (several on one card for different areas). That way you both would not need to buy the map routing software (unless you wanted to). Once you set up your entire state on a card with room to spare, you will not need the PC software for maping unless you are going outside your home area.

Edited by Roo & the Bears

Your son's GPS is no more or less accurate than any other model on the market that is WAAS enabled.

They are all accurate to about 9ft under ideal conditions.

Having said that I don't advise the Meridian line anymore even though I own the Meridian Color. The Meridians are the last generation for Magellan. Go with the Explorist Series. Not the 100, 200 or 300 as those are lacking important features. Look at the 400, 500 and 600. The 400 is the "base" model that has all the nifty features. The 500 has a color screen and the 600 adds digital compass and all that.

The reason the Explorist is superior to the Meridian line is it has a USB instead of serial interface for faster data transfers from map software on the PC and it has a slick menu system, file handling and is just generally a joy to use. The Meridians were the last in line for traditional clunky GPS software and hardware interfaces.

I would give strong consideration to staying with Magellan as you and your son can share accessories and software and that will save money in the long run. If you get an Explorist your son *will* be jealous.

DaveA,

I had been also looking at a Meridian Platinum (using a friends Meridian color right now and love it 3' accuracy).

I would also like to see the final specs on the Explorist 600, but one thing in the pre-production specs out there now troubles me. It shows the 300,400, and 600 all using patch antennas instead of the quadrifillar type. After using the Meridian Color in dense woods and getting solid sat locks (not to mention 3' accuracy to the caches with WAAS/Averaging) I'm sold on quadrifillar antenna's performance in densly wooded areas.

But with a 14 channel receiver and new hardware improvements they may perform as well, but I don't want to plunk down $350 or more to be the beta tester in the field.

In playing with my friends Color, downloading via serial connection is not that big of a deal unless you are constantly making new map files. With his, I just dumped the entire state to a SD/MMC card and have not needed to touch it since then. Downloading and uploading waypoints only takes seconds to do several hundred. I do agree that a USB 2.0 connection would be preferred, but in practice the Meridian's serial connection works fine. If you don't have a 9 pin serial connection on your PC, you can pick up a USB to 9 pin serial adaptor cord at most computer shops and places like Best Buy for about $25 which will let you use the standard cable by emulating a serial connection.

for increasing speed of map transfer with the Meridians, why not just use a card reader?

the meridians are nice units, you'll be happy with it. I prefer my 60CS (which is just as accurate as any magellan I've cached with) but it's a personal preference. best to see if you can handle a few at the store to see how they feel in your hand. as was suggested, they're going to be "pretty much the same" (except for magellan slingshot :ph34r: ) once you get out there.

while caching in a group (2, 3, or 4 of us), there's a few with magellan and a few with garmin. the magellan owners don't always find the cache first, nor do the garmin owners. so neither is "better", just different. you'll do just as well with one as you would with the other as long as the GPS is comfortable to you and has the features you want.

enjoy whatever you decide to buy!

:ninja:

All GPS's are accurate. How much to you want to spend? What are your planned uses? Geocaching? Hiking? Hunting? Road navigation? Travel? All of theses?

You might as well get another Magellan product, so you can then share the same software.. get the Meridian Color.

Nice idea but of doubtful legality.

You might as well get another Magellan product, so you can then share the same software.. get the Meridian Color.

Nice idea but of doubtful legality.

"If" they're sharing the same computer then they don't have to toss 2 brands of GPS mapping software onto the same machine.. is my point.

DaveA,

I would also like to see the final specs on the Explorist 600, but one thing in the pre-production specs out there now troubles me.  It shows the 300,400, and 600 all using patch antennas instead of the quadrifillar type. 

Hmmm, I didn't see that mentioned on the Magellan Page. If so I would also be concerned.

I too have come to love the quadrifillar antenna. I was just thinking to myself last night how much I liked it as I was in the middle of my house with the gps on while transfering tracks and waypoints to the PC. The thing locked 6 sats and displayed an EPE of around 60 ft with all windows closed.

They may have improved things enough that it doesn't matter which antenna they are using, but I think I would hold off until the field reviews are in.

Good catch. I guess I still would recommend the Meridians then.

I too have come to love the quadrifillar antenna. I was just thinking to myself last night how much I liked it as I was in the middle of my house with the gps on while transfering tracks and waypoints to the PC. The thing locked 6 sats and displayed an EPE of around 60 ft with all windows closed. 

The patch antenna gets excellent reception under tree cover and has an undeserved bad rap. They even outperform the quad helix under certain conditions.

A quad helix can get reception indoors because its best at picking up sats close to the horizon (i.e. through windows and doors), while the patch's strength is picking up sats directly overhead. Since most people don't geocache in their homes, reception in your living room shouldn't be a consideration.

Edited by briansnat
I may get flamed for this but Garmin is a USA company and Magellan is French.  Some folks I know won't buy anything French these days.  I buy USA whenever I can if all else is about equal.  I use a Garmin Etrex Legend and it works well.

Well, you can certainly be "country loyal" if you want. To me though, the country of product origin would be one of the LAST criteria when selecting any product. Meaning if 2 companies made a product of fairly similar cost/performance/etc then perhaps I'd pick the domestic one if that was a choice, but I definitely wouldn't pass up a better product for a lesser model just because it was made locally.

Oh and don't forget Lowrance GPS either then.. They're American too :o

I may get flamed for this but Garmin is a USA company and Magellan is French.  Some folks I know won't buy anything French these days.  I buy USA whenever I can if all else is about equal.  I use a Garmin Etrex Legend and it works well.

You are so wrong, Garmin is based in the Cayman islands, this is a dodge the many companies use to avoid a bulk of there US coorporate tax obligations. You do understand that in the Cayman islands banks use numbered account just like in Switzerland, Gee why do you think a company would want to be base in a country with numbered accounts?

Garmin started out a US/Tiawanese base company. That is why most of there products are made overseas.

magellan started as a US company and was bought out by Thales a french company, but Thales/Magellan maintains a very large work force in the USA.

Edit to add:

This is Garmins mailing address

Queensgate House, P.O. Box 30464SMB, George Town, Grand Cayman, US

I found this while researching there stock, look up symbol GRMN

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Sorry if this is slightly OT. I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 201 for running and geo-caching and it has been good and accurate. Because the FR201 only has 100 waypoints, I recently bought a used Magellan MAP330 (WAAS-enabled).

This last weekend I went geocaching with both GPS and I have observed a very interesting phenomenon... Out of the 6 or so caches that I found using both units, in 4 out 6, the Garmin brought me to within 5-10 ft of the cache while the Magellan about 30 ft. On one of the remaining two, the Magellan brought me to within 5 ft while the Garmin was about 20 ft off. On the other one, both units were within 5 ft or so.

In my mind, the pattern seems to suggest that depending on what brand the hiders use, you'd have better luck using the same brand...because the errors are similar and thus cancelled out. On the one that both agreed...not sure... Does my theory have any merit? So far, I have better luck with the Garmin...granted my data points are too few...

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'll be using this thing primarily for geocaching and maybe occasional orienteering in the woods.

Another problem I'm up against is the deep woods and tree canopy that is prevalent here in Georgia. Are there any GPS devices that are particularly adept in this kind of environment?

I'll probably check out Ebay when I purchase.

BTW, my son is "Legalease" and we buddy-up on geocaching. As far as wanting me to buy another GPS type, I think he's just joking around with me.

Best wishes, Grumpy Grampy

I got my GPSr, a Garmin eTrex Vista on eBay and got what I think was a very good deal. :(

I am happy with my Garmin, but I saw a guy using his Magellan, and although it was considerably larger, the buttons sure were efficient. He entered a waypoint by hand much faster than I could on my Garmin.

However, I don't need to enter waypoints by hand very frequently, and I like the small size of the Garmin . . . :o

I am happy with my Garmin, but I saw a guy using his Magellan, and although it was considerably larger, the buttons sure were efficient. He entered a waypoint by hand much faster than I could on my Garmin.

However, I don't need to enter waypoints by hand very frequently, and I like the small size of the Garmin .

I prefer the size, look, feel and easy one handed operation of the eTrex line. I bring the Vista everywhere, even to the mall to mark my car in the parking lot. It easily fits in my shirt or pants pocket. The Meridians are nice units, but they are huge. If I had one of those, it would never leave my house.

Another problem I'm up against is the deep woods and tree canopy that is prevalent here in Georgia. Are there any GPS devices that are particularly adept in this kind of environment?

No unit gets perfect reception under a heavy tree canopy but most get adequate reception. Units with a quad helix antenna (Magellan Meridian & Sportrak and Garmin GPS V, Map 60C(s) & Map 76C(s) have a slight advantage over units with a patch antenna (Garmin eTrex & Geko and Magellan eXplorist) when under heavy tree cover. The difference is minor however and shouldn't be a deal breaker if the unit you are looking at has all the other features you want. I also geocache under a heavy tree canopy and my eTrex Vista works just fine under it, but if you want better reception, you may want to consider a GPS with jack for an external antenna (not something that I'v ever found a need for).

Some here recommended the Magellan Meridian and it is a good choice. Some other very good choices would include the Garmin Map 76C(S) and Garmin Map 60C(S).

Edited by briansnat
Another problem I'm up against is the deep woods and tree canopy that is prevalent here in Georgia.  Are there any GPS devices that are particularly adept in this kind of environment?

quadrifillar antenna.

The jury is still out on the latest generation with patch antennas, but a Magellan or Garmin with quad style antenna will do you well under heavy tree cover.

Think Meridian. I *think* the Garmin 60 also uses that antenna, but am not positive and don't have time right this minute to look it up.

I own both the Magellan Meridian Platinum and the Garmin 60c. If you really want to try a different unit from your son's, I would recommend the 60c or 60cs. If you plan to buy the additional mapping for it though, you would be best to stick to the same type of unit as your son.

It seems to me that the "accuracy" between Garmin and Magellan has more to do with which type of unit was used when the cache was placed. In other words, if someone places a cache with an eTrex, then another eTrex usually gets the closest to that location.

I prefer the compass screen on the Garmin units, and it has more features specific to geocaching. The new Magellan eXplorist line (400, 500, 600) are supposed to have a built in geocaching application, but I don't know much about that.

The best feature about the Meridian series is that you can add SD cards to it allowing for unlimited memory. I run pocket queries for many different areas and save them on the SD card. Then I just have to load the caches off the card for whatever area I am in.

If you don't plan to travel too far from home when you are caching, this may not make much difference to you. If you travel a great deal, this feature can be extremely valuable.

As for the heavy tree cover, an external antenna may be your best option if you find that you are having trouble picking up the signal. I would test it out first though before spending the extra on the antenna. Even with a basic eTrex unit, the tree cover has never prevented me from finding a cache.

even to the mall to mark my car in the parking lot.

Okay, now that is just BRILLIANT!

:rolleyes:

I find it easier to build rock cairns at fifty yard intervals between my car and the mall entrance. That way you're not dependent on satellite coverage. :lol:

But having seen some of CacheNCarryMA's camo hides, I would bet that those rock cairns in the parking lot would be cleverly disguised as shopping carts. B)

You are so wrong, Garmin is based in the Cayman islands, this is a dodge the many companies use to avoid a bulk of there US coorporate tax obligations. You do understand that in the Cayman islands banks use numbered account just like in Switzerland, Gee why do you think a company would want to be base in a country with numbered accounts?

Garmin started out a US/Tiawanese base company. That is why most of there products are made overseas.

magellan started as a US company and was bought out by Thales a french company, but Thales/Magellan maintains a very large work force in the USA.

Edit to add:

:lol: ...don't know about that Mailing address but the main Garmin's headquarters is in Olathe, Kansas..I go by it often and they have really been adding to their facility..I sent my Legend up there for repair one time..and I really like my Garmin Legend!!

Edit to add:

:lol: ...don't know about that Mailing address but the main Garmin's headquarters is in Olathe, Kansas..I go by it often and they have really been adding to their facility..I sent my Legend up there for repair one time..and I really like my Garmin Legend!!

Well if you do a search regarding the stock you will find the Cayman islands address.

Garmin

Try searching with MSNmoney, the Symbol is GRMN.

Olathe may be there US address, it is not the corporate address.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

The president of Thales Navigation, parent company of Magellan, recently appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show and the subject of which he spoke was his company's support of the Church of SATAN.

He stated that a large portion of Thale's profit goes to the Church of SATAN also known as the Devil's Church.

When asked by Winfrey if he felt that stating this on television might hurt his business, the President replied: THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH CHRISTIANS IN THE WORLD TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

After being contacted by the president of the Church of Satan, Thales President was notified that if he was going to support the Chruch of SATAN, the company would have to place the emblem/symbol of the church organization on the labels of every Thales product. It is noted that since that time, the symbol of the Church of SATAN has been placed on all their products.

ALSO . . . recently on the David Letterman show, a group of cultists were featured, among them the OWNER of Thales Navigation. He said that as long as the gays and other cults were coming out of the closet, he was doing the same. He said that he had told SATAN that if he (SATAN) would help him to compete with Garmin, then he would give his heart and soul to him when he dies. He gave SATAN all the credit for the development of the eXplorist line of consumer GPS's (he didn't say why Satan forgot the data port on the 100-300 models and chose to install non field replaceable batteries).

The president of Thales Navigation, parent company of Magellan,  recently appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show and the subject of which he spoke was his company's support of the Church of SATAN.

...When asked by Winfrey if he felt that stating this on television might hurt his business, the President replied: THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH CHRISTIANS IN THE WORLD TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Are you freakin SERIOUS???!?!?!??!?!???!! :(

All the more reason to DROP Magellan from the considerations list.. hey let's make this place a Garmin/Lowrance club instead lol

Are you freakin SERIOUS???!?!?!??!?!???!!

Yep. Just look inside the battery compartment of every unit. You will see a sticker with a code number. If you add 200,000 to this number, then divide it by 666 and assign numbers to the results 1=A, 2=B, 3=C, etc... it spells SATAN LIVES on every unit.

Edited by briansnat

Ummm, OK. :(

I love my old Garmin 3+. It has been rock solid for years and has taken an incredible amount of punishment. I am told that Carmin's service is outstanding, but have not had to use them. (I did have to replace the battery door and antenna on my 3+ after an especially hairy wreck, but I did that myself, rather than sending the unit in.)

I have had no problems with reception with the unit's quad antenna in the field and use a powered external antenna while on the road.

The buttons are very easy to use and I can quickly enter a waypoint.

I have considered replacing my unit with a V on a few occasions, but the 3+ works so well that I couldn't come up with a good excuse.

Edited by sbell111
Thale's profit goes to the Church of SATAN also known as the Devil's Church.

Their HQ was in San Francisco in the 60s, The high preist and preistest always should up on the local TV stations back then around Halloween. Their church was a victiorian that was painted black,. The high preist was Antone Sandor Lavay :( or something like that.

Edit to add. San Francisco, the devils play ground.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Their HQ was in San Francisco in the 60s, The high preist and preistest always should up on the local TV stations back then around Halloween. Their church was a victiorian that was painted black,. The high preist was Antone Sandor Lavay :ninja: or something like that.

See what I mean! Johnny Vegas, Magellan user, knows an awful lot about this Satan worship stuff.

... The president of Thales Navigation, parent company of Magellan,  recently appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show and the subject of which he spoke was his company's support of the Church of SATAN. ....

C'mon guys - if you're gonna make up nonsense for the gullible, at least be original... That one has been attributed to Proctor & Gamble for years and years and years...

http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/procter.asp

... The president of Thales Navigation, parent company of Magellan,  recently appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show and the subject of which he spoke was his company's support of the Church of SATAN. ....

C'mon guys - if you're gonna make up nonsense for the gullible, at least be original... That one has been attributed to Proctor & Gamble for years and years and years...

http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/procter.asp

Them too?????

Their HQ was in San Francisco in the 60s, The high preist and preistest always should up on the local TV stations back then around Halloween. Their church was a victiorian that was painted black,. The high preist was Antone Sandor Lavay :ninja: or something like that.

See what I mean! Johnny Vegas, Magellan user, knows an awful lot about this Satan worship stuff.

Beware one and all, do not enter this link Beware

I have to polish my pentagram :ninja:

Check your facts. Last year this tale was on the move but it was Liz Claiborne who supported the Satanic church and appeared on the Oprah Show and admitted all on stage but you left out the part where Oprah asked her to leave the stage. I've followed the Oprah show ever since it went national and have never seen anything like this on there. If I can't watch it as it airs my VCR is set to tape it daily. I catch up on the weekends. I'd be willing to bet I haven't missed 5 shows in the 15 years she has been in syndication.

When my daughter heard this rumor from a good friend who SWORE that she witnessed this event personally, I went online and checked it out on the Urban Legends websites, there are several, as well as Oprah.com and read the whole story. To quote Oprah "Liz Claiborne has never been on my show".

Oprah is just now learning about the uses for gps, on her semi-annual show of "Oprah's Favorite Things" she presented a model that she had just discovered, how much fun and accurate it was. She gave each member of the studio audience their very own, valued at over $700 each. I saw this one myself and even watched it again when it was rerun.

Feel free to e-mail her with your story, I'd be willing to bet she will respond! She doesn't support the Satanic church, she definately believes in a higher power.

If you have proof that this event took place I'd be real interested to hear about it myself.

Check your facts. Last year this tale was on the move but it was Liz Claiborne who supported the Satanic church

That shows you what's wrong with this country. First Magellan, then Proctor and Gamble and now Liz Claiborne. These companies should stick to worshipping the almighty dollar.

I hate to get back on topic but.............

I own a Magellan SporTrak Pro and a Garmin 60CS. I find that under heavy tree cover I have better luck with the Magellan. I think it has something to do with the way it averages when I slow down, but I am still able to find the caches with my Garmin. I have cached with RK using my Magellan and he using his Garmin GPS V. When we settle down we are normally about 6' apart. This is not enough difference to make me choose one over the other.

I agree with a previous poster. If you plan on using software you probably should be sticking to a Magellan product. Especially since the newer Garmin Software is specific to one or two units.

I use my GPS 60CS for 2 reason. The auto routing feature, and the bright color screen which for me is easier to read.

:blink:

That is how I understand it also, I could be that the poster my have read that some garmin software will not offer the full features on some units. Though I am a Magellen user in the past when I was using some garmin GPSr as I recall products like the old Metro guide would allow loading maps on the legend, but the legend would not offer auto navigation. Or you could load way points and routes to the venture and yellow e-trex with Map source map software but not the maps.

This could lead someone to be under the inpression that not all of Garmins software can be used with all the GPS products.

We have GPSs, three Magellans and two garmins.  The garmins are sitting around collecting dust.  Nuff said.

The argument that your trying to make is like arguing Chevy verses Ford :P it really doesn't matter what you buy as long as it fits YOUR needs.

I have a Garmin Etrex venture and I plan on buying Etrex Vista in the next few weeks.

So to the OP I would say buy what ever you think will fit your needs and that you will like, Just don’t skimp and buy the cheapest GPSr you can find it's just like a compass if you want a good one you spend a few more dollars.

If you want to save on cost you can do as has been suggested and buy the one your son has so you can share soft wear.

The short of it is Garmin and Magellan both make Really good units

Though I am a Magellen user in the past when I was using some garmin GPSr as I recall products like the old Metro guide would allow loading maps on the legend, but the legend would not offer auto navigation. Or you could load way points and routes to the venture and yellow e-trex with Map source map software but not the maps.

Isn't it the same with Magellan, or do all units auto route and do non mapping units become mapping units as long as you load the proper Mapsend software?

If you plan on using software you probably should be sticking to a Magellan product. Especially since the newer Garmin Software is specific to one or two units.

How's that? As far as I know any Mapsource software can be used on any Garmin unit that supports mapping.

For Garmin units, you need to unlock for a particular units before you can send maps to it. You don't need unlocking to send routes and waypoints.

Though I am a Magellen user in the past when I was using some garmin GPSr as I recall products like the old Metro guide would allow loading maps on the legend, but the legend would not offer auto navigation. Or you could load way points and routes to the venture and yellow e-trex with Map source map software but not the maps.

Isn't it the same with Magellan, or do all units auto route and do non mapping units become mapping units as long as you load the proper Mapsend software?

That is correct the auto routing will not work in the sport track map.