Question For Ems - Trained Cachers

Ed_S

How many of you bring a kit of some kind with you on caching trips so you could put your training to use if someone needed your help?

I have to admit that I don't bring anything extra with me, even though I have the training and do as part of my job render aid to those who've fallen, are having an allergic reaction, or other situation we might encounter in the field.

Just curious if anyone's better prepared than I am out there?

Depends on the cache location/terrain/season.

Mountains=ace bandages & icepacks, Beach=sunblock, Summer=bug juice & tweezers. Our 1NatureGirls have their own 'basic' lil kits in their backpacks=bandaids(all sizes) & swab.

I suggest every cacher take the red cross course First Aid.

:huh: Leslie (Lifeguard)

I have a small nylon first aid kit bag/pouch that measures only about 3"x3"x5", and yet I'm able to stuff the following into it:

-Band-Aids (misc. sizes)

-Butterfly Closures

-Ace Bandage

-Adhesive Tape

-Cotton Balls/Swabs

-Antiseptic Cream

-Iodine Swabs

-Bug bite Swabs

-Instant Ice Pack

-Eye Wash (2)

-Chapstick

-Muleskin

-CPR Mask

-Snake Bite Kit

-Sunscreen wipes

-Bug repellant wipes

-Small bar of Soap

-Washrag

-Tylenol

It stays in my Geo-Pack at all times. Along with my CPR certification, hopefully it contains everything that I'll "medically" need out on the trail.

If I'm off the beaten path, I have a backpack I carry. It's Camelbak compatible and can be adjusted for climate/terrain and duration.In it is what's called a "Battle Pack". It's made for Tactical/Military medics as a thigh rig. It's big enough for bleeding control items, but yet not so big to weigh you down. I've used mine for 4 years(only been caching about 6Months).

Having been on patrols, you know over 8 hours away from base, I've learned to pack "need to have" versus, "nice or neat to have". Everything you pack in, has got to come back. You can't pack for every thing, that's where experience helps in improvising and of course my favorite first aid tools- my cell phone and car keys.

A USAF survival instructor told me about a guide in Alaska that had a 350lb man as a client. The client asked, "I'm 350, you're 180. If I have a heart attack, how will you get me out?" "Easy the guide said, just like a moose, I'd make 2 trips" :P

Edited by Savoy 6

i am not a certified emt, however, i am a military trained radiological survey team medic. i take everything from absorbable hemostats to zinc oxide in my field kit. i also take water purification tabs in it as well. my personal kit has a cuple of sets of hemos and an assortment of medical items as well. i also carry snake bite kits and betadine. rest assured im confident that i can help someone in the field to the best of my abilities.(especially myself since i have the dreaded clutzitis disease that affects my perspective of gravity. :) )

regards

archie

I always keep an emergency survival pack (food/water, emergency ponchos/blankets, flashlight/glowsticks, buck knife, waterproof matches, etc.) and a fully-stocked first aid kit in my vehicle at all times when I'm caching, hiking, or off-roading in a more remote area.

Since they're both pretty bulky, I don't carry them with me, so I make sure I bring along an even more vital item...a partner.