Road Trip / Geowoodstock Iii

koneko

soooo, on the way to geowoodstock III, i'll be traveling from kentucky through tennessee, arkansas, louisana, alabama to florida, then on the way back it'll be georgia, south carolina, north carolina and back to kentucky.

what i'm wondering is, if you had to list 5 'must do' caches for the following cities or areas, what would they be?

please keep in mind i'll be on a fairly tight schedule, so no 13-leg multis, and i would love to see historic spots, local scenery, etc - or just really neat caches - also, meeting up with other geocaching folk is always cool!

the areas i plan on hitting are:

owensboro, ky

clarksville, tn

nashville, tn

memphis, tn

little rock, ar

monroe, la

jackson, ms

mobile, al

pensacola, fl

tallahassee, fl

(geowoodstock in jacksonville)

savannah, ga

atlanta, ga

columbia, sc

charlotte, nc

i would appreciate any reccomendations on what caches to check out - i'm really looking forward to this road trip - any help would be great!

thanks!

jenn

Edited by koneko

Nashville downtown must do's: Going Gibson, Rebirth of a Bridge, Mission Impossible. Try to be on the bridge at night if possible. Here is the Middle TN Geocacher's Club hits list from their website. Bound to be a few here I missed that you will like. Battle of Franklin was pretty cool, and it's an oldie.

Can't help with Charlotte, but have visited most other areas of NC. Let me know if your path deviates from this stop.

edited to add link

Edited by wimseyguy

hi 'neko.

i think you should not miss "cumberland cliffhanger" in nashville if you haven't already done it. if you are through here after may 25th (school's out) i can meet up with you. i liked "sub pots" in birmingham; but i've barely scratched the surface there. "avian island" cache on the nc/sc line is probably my all time favorite.

For the Atlanta area...

Boat Rock Cache

River Bluff

Any of the caches along the Silver Comet Trail

Any of the caches along the Suwanee Greenway

Any of the caches in Stone Mountain Park

Going out I-20 towards Columbia...

Any of the caches in Davidson Arabia (Quarry One, Quarry Two and 2 others there)

Rock Eagle Recall (if it's active)

hi 'neko.

i think you should not miss "cumberland cliffhanger" in nashville if you haven't already done it. if you are through here after may 25th (school's out) i can meet up with you. i liked "sub pots" in birmingham; but i've barely scratched the surface there. "avian island" cache on the nc/sc line is probably my all time favorite.

hi sis!

thanks for the suggestions, it would be great to meet up with you again - i'm not sure yet what dates i'll be driving, but i'll keep you posted =)

'neko

For the Atlanta area...

Boat Rock Cache

River Bluff

Any of the caches along the Silver Comet Trail

Any of the caches along the Suwanee Greenway

Any of the caches in Stone Mountain Park

Going out I-20 towards Columbia...

Any of the caches in Davidson Arabia (Quarry One, Quarry Two and 2 others there)

Rock Eagle Recall (if it's active)

thanks atlantagal - i'll have to check em out!

'neko

Not including some great multi's - A few of my favorites in Columbia SC. If you had time you could also hit Sesqui State Park and do several (at least 8 would be my guess). I don't live in Columbia, so maybe someone who does - or has found more there than me will give you some more advice.

Buried at the graveyard

Needle in a haystack 2

Kick The Bucket X

Kick The Bucket VI

E

Not including some great multi's - A few of my favorites in Columbia SC. If you had time you could also hit Sesqui State Park and do several (at least 8 would be my guess). I don't live in Columbia, so maybe someone who does - or has found more there than me will give you some more advice.

Buried at the graveyard

Needle in a haystack 2

Kick The Bucket X

Kick The Bucket VI

E

Living in Columbia, Sc I can not just give you 5 top caches that are good, because we have so many wonderful great caches. "Buried at The Graveyard" is a must for sure. It is located on the campus of USC. Sesqui National is also good, but I would not recommend doing them all at once, their is one multi that could take you 2 hours easy to do and that is if you get all the answers right the first time. I would recommend going to google, looking up Columbia, SC and typing one of the zips into the search so you can read the different caches yourself.

Happy Hunting.

Also, check out PE Micro # 1 and # 3, skip 2

soooo, on the way to geowoodstock III, i'll be traveling from kentucky through tennessee, arkansas, louisana, alabama to florida, then on the way back it'll be georgia, south carolina, north carolina and back to kentucky.

Just out of jealous curiosity - how many days will you be spending on this trip?

E

Just out of jealous curiosity - how many days will you be spending on this trip?

E

not certain how long i'll be taking for the trip yet - in fact today i might be altering it as i'll be heading down to knoxville with a friend (we're gonna skip on over to NC and snag a cache) - so, NC might not be on my route home -

days spent on the trip will be determined as i get closer to the trip and details a little more finalized.

right now it's about 8 days in length all told.

thanks for all the suggestions guys - keep em comin - also, if anyone wants to meet up while i'm in town, lemme know, we'll work somethin out =)

jenn

What route are you taking to get from Jackson, MS to Mobile, AL? Depending on your route, I might be able to help you with a cache or two along your route.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

on first glance it looks like route 49 from jackson to hattiesburg then route 59 to route 98 into mobile.

but that can be changed =)

jenn

What route are you taking to get from Jackson, MS to Mobile, AL?  Depending on your route, I might be able to help you with a cache or two along your route.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

on first glance it looks like route 49 from jackson to hattiesburg then route 59 to route 98 into mobile.

but that can be changed =)

jenn

I had a feeling that would be your route. We're VERY hurt and disappointed that you're skipping us in Biloxi, but we'll get over it! (only teasing!)

Here's an outstanding cache along US98, just a few miles out of H'Burg on your way to Mobile:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6b-ed4d53c7d3b9

It's a great piece of local history that you never would have expected.

Have a great trip! If you do change your mind and come down US49 to Gulfport/Biloxi, drop me a private note and I'll line you up with a nice selection of local caches for your pleasure.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Edited by drat19
how much time would driving to biloxi add to my trip?

out of curiosity =)

jenn

Well, there's the driving part, and then there's the visiting/caching part!

The drive from Hattiesburg to Gulfport/Biloxi is about 60-75 minutes. Then from there it's another 60 minutes to Mobile. By contrast, if you drove straight from Hattiesburg to Mobile on US98, it's about 90 minutes.

Obviously your variable would be how much time you spend touring and caching Gulfport/Biloxi.

-Dave R.

update:

the trip has been revised, and i'm fairly certain i've got the dates down now - the trip has been downsized a bit as i'll be making a trip to SC for a wedding just before my road trip starts (down to pawleys island) and i'll be hitting the BBQ festival in owensboro the week before the trip.

now the trip looks like this:

24th lexington ky - nashville tn

>stay overnight - hope to meet up with some caching friends and do some caching during the day -

25th nashville tn to memphis tn

>possibly meeting up with jamiez for some caching and some lunch- we'll see what his schedule ends up doing -

memphis tn to little rock ar

> hit a few caches there

little rock ar to texarkana ar

>swing over the state line to hit a texas cache

texarkana ar to shreveport la

>stay overnight

26th shreveport la - jackson ms

>hit a few caches there

jackson la - mobile al

>hit a few caches there

mobile al - pensacola fl

>stay overnight

27th pensacola fl - tallahasee fl

>hit a few caches there

tallahasee fl - jacksonville fl

>stay for geowoodstock 3 -

--

29th jacksonville fl - atlanta ga

>will be visiting with a few friends overnight - and caching, of course!

30th atlanta ga - lexington, ky

>may stop in knoxville tn or the cumberland gap on the way back.

so - now that that's a little more completel - if anyone would like to meet up in any of those spots, lemme know - or if there's a cool cache you'd like to reccoment that's not going to take too much time out of the schedule, let me know about it!

'neko