Caching In Snow.

hunter-bob

If you want to increase your chances of being able to log a find, you might want to look for caches which have been found since the last major snow event in the area you will be searching. Those footprints sure do come in handy sometimes, although many cachers try to leave false trails in the snow to make things a bit tougher for the next visitor.

The other trick which has worked for me is to use the technique they use when searching for avalanche victims: you take a thin sturdy pole, and poke it deep into the snow. If you hit something that feels 'different', you dig into the snow in that spot. Takes a lot of patience, but it does work.

Some of the locals have taken to carrying a metal detector with them when searching for ammo boxes in the snow. I've never tried this, but they report that it is a very effective technique.

Where in Colorado are you going?

The weather here has been nice for a while and the snow in the foothills outside Denver is melting fast. I just did one today that had some ice in spots and I went through a little bit of snow to get to the cache, but it was a good hike on a mostly dry trail. Dress in layers, appropriate footware, tell someone where you are going, and know your limits. Oh, and have fun. :huh:

We are planning a trip in a couple of weeks to the Wolf Creek area and am wondering how well we will be able to cache in the snow. I assume we will have snow. If not my wife will be upset since she has been wanting to take the family skiing for years! I have started looking at the caches in the area and wonder how many I will be able to get with the snow.

zcubed,

I don't know anything about mountains and snow (except it is cold), i am a city boy! What do you mean about snow not being a problem? From the link to Wolf Creek it looks like they have been getting a lot of snow over the season just not much the past few days. I am just not sure what all that means, I assume the surrounding area still has snow on the ground but don't know how much. I hope I can still find some caches while we are "skiing." Thanks for the education!

zcubed,

I don't know anything about mountains and snow (except it is cold), i am a city boy! What do you mean about snow not being a problem? From the link to Wolf Creek it looks like they have been getting a lot of snow over the season just not much the past few days. I am just not sure what all that means, I assume the surrounding area still has snow on the ground but don't know how much. I hope I can still find some caches while we are "skiing." Thanks for the education!

Hi Woggie,

I doubt you will be able to find any caches that are hid on the pass or in the mountains. Wolf Creek gets more snow than any other ski area in Colorado. What you will find is incredable ski conditions. You could drown it the powder up there, it's so deep. :ph34r:

If your staying at the bottom of the pass, on the East side, there may be some hope to cache. The west side of the pass (Pagosa Springs) gets all the show, and they have been getting it. Bring your tire chains. I had to put them on my 98 dodge ram 4x4 to get over it a few weeks ago, during a storm. It's the only pass I've ever had to chain up a 4x4 in order to get over it. 160" plus, is what I call deep snow. Hope this helps some.

Madratdan,

Thanks for the informaiton and help. I know the family is looking forward to skiing, only my wife has done it so it should be interesting for myself and the kids. I started looking at the caches in the area and it might be tough since most seem to be 20+ miles from Wolf Creek, although one cache is on some of the ski runs! We are staying outside of South Fork @ Lonesome Dove so I am starting to look at some caches to at least try in a couple of weeks, worst case we will see some great landscape! You now have me wondering about driving and getting around up there though, no 4x4 on the old Suburban! Thanks again!

CYBret,

Great website, thanks for the link! I signed up and took the poll as well. I like the "Winter" caches we have done here and really dread the coming Texas Summer months. Since our Winter is not bad down here I doubt it counts like the ones we are talking about in CO. I will take some of your advice from the website to heart though while we are on our trip looking for some caches! Thanks again!

zcubed,

The link will show as others have pointed out that Wolf Creek ski area/pass gets tons of snow. I haven't done any of the caches down there but I would guess that they are under several feet of snow right now. B)

In looking at some of them people are finding them, you might want to contact the owners and tell them your situation and they can tell you your chances of finding the cache.

I have heard other states claim that if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. In Colorado it is very true. The weather can be sunny and warm one minute and snowing the next, so you need to keep that in mind when venturing out and be prepared.

Enjoy your visit and have fun skiing! :ph34r:

I forgot to mention altitude. The base of Wolf Creek is 10,300 feet. If you are coming from sea level you will feel out of breath for the first couple of days. The high altitude sucks the moisture out of your body quicker.

The upside is that you will be a "cheap date" :ph34r: Doesn't take much alcohol to get drunk.

Hey Woggie,

I lived in Alamosa for three years. I'm sure there are caches in the valley you could go after, since your staying on the east side. (San Luis Valley) The weather between the bottom of the pass and the ski area can be like night and day. The key to making it to the ski area is to have a good set of chains and be prepared to use them. I use to go skiing up there all the time in a 66 Mustang. I had studded snow tires for it, but once I would get started up the pass, I'd have to put my chains on. When it snows, it dumps fast enough that the plows have a hard time keeping up. They try hard too. It's steep enough in parts, that you need the chains for traction.

I'm not trying to scare you about the pass. It is a good high way that semi's use all winter long. Just make sure you are prepared for a blizzard and if you don't have chain's along, you can buy them at the bottom for the opposite of cheap. Have fun and enjoy your stay. Grab a lesson or two and you won't regret it. There cheaper than having your wife teach you. :ph34r:

Where in Colorado are you going?

The weather here has been nice for a while and the snow in the foothills outside Denver is melting fast. I just did one today that had some ice in spots and I went through a little bit of snow to get to the cache, but it was a good hike on a mostly dry trail. Dress in layers, appropriate footware, tell someone where you are going, and know your limits. Oh, and have fun. :D

Im going to steamboat springs to Steamboat Ski Resort

Im going to steamboat springs to Steamboat Ski Resort

Steamboat is a great city to visit. It is one of the "lesser" known ski towns, but that is changing fast. I haven't done any of the caches there, but I rode my bike through there on last years Bicycle Tour of Colorado. I wish I would have know about GC back then since Steamboat was our day off from riding. Have fun!