Cache Theme Ideas?

Bob&TheGang

Within the next week or so, I plan to hind my first cache.

I am a newbie (only 5 cache finds). I want to come up with some type of unique cache theme. The contents of the caches I have found so far have been pretty much the same stuff. Don't get me wrong, I believe the fun of geocaching is the thrill of the hunt and going to places you normally would not go to and NOT what you actually find in the cache.

However, I want my cache to be different from others.

I would like to know some unique cache hide ideas others might have done. Please share your thoughts.

[This message was edited by Bobkat92 on July 12, 2003 at 08:10 AM.]

Hay BK@92, I'm in the process of putting out a "Micro". Due to the size (de-con) I'm limited to space ~~~ so I am making it a theme cache, using buttons, placing a zip lock snack bag with 20 buttons as a start ~~~ take one / trade one / what ever. Just a thought

Mzee ~~~ "And now where"

Theme caches are fun. The first cache I placed was called Global Geocache - it had items from around the world. People have been pretty good about sticking to the theme too, so there is always an interesting assortment of items in there.

Then I placed one called Cartoon Cache that was filled with cartoon characters. When I first started geocaching, that is what I would trade for in the caches. After a while, I had quite a few, so I just put them out in that cache.

My latest theme cache is called Warning (I Shall Wear Purple) in honour of the poem of the same name. It has a purple theme to it, and was placed in a park that hosts a lilac festival every year.

Good luck with your cache!

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

If you've only found 5 caches, I would suggest looking for a lot more before you hide one. At least a dozen and maybe more. That will give you a chance to find different styles and different hiding places. And get further away from home for a couple of them. You sometimes get different styles when you go to different areas. And different difficulties sometimes show different approaches. Just a thought.

I've seen Bookcrossing.com theme caches, as well as movies and music themes. I have one themed cache called Flat Stuff, which contains only flat items like antique postcards, bumper stickers, patches, maps and the like.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

How about something military? san Diego has a lot of that stuff. Havea theme around bases, or types of naval vessels (like finding a ship and getrting info about it); could be a multi- ship cache where you gather cluses at the docks and then figure out the cooridate of a real cache hidden in a park. Sailors and others who geocache might be interested.

Alan

Both of the caches that I have out are themed. The one I put out is called "Cache4Christ". It is a Christian theme and my wife has one out called "A tribute to our heros". It is a red white and blue American theme. So far almost everyone is sticking with the themes.

---

If a man says something in the woods,and

there are no women around, is he still wrong?

I currently own one theme cache, Caesar's Library. It is not one of the easiest in the area, so it doesn't get alot of finds. However, those that have found it seem to like it and have all stuck to the theme.

I am considering placing another with a sticker theme. I've collected an ammo box full of stickers, temporary tattoos, window clings, etc. I just haven't taken the time to design the hunt.

Look around. What interests you? What are your hobbies? The most important thing is to use your own ideas, otherwise you are just duplicating someone else's cache. All of the suggestions in this thread are good ideas but keep in mind that some people are not happy with anything and will think "That's dumb." Ignore them. Have fun, do what you want. If you cache it, they will come.

Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk.

Well, the only problem with themed caches is alot of people don't have stuff for the theme. I know that there is a purple theme around here that I haven't gone to because I don't have anything small enough that's purple that I could put in the cache yet. The same people started a canine cache, and they made it half themed and half whatever so that people who didn't have themed stuff could do that..

I'm about to set up three of them. Two of them are themed caches - one is going to be BookCrossing.com and the other one is going to be a smaller container full of stickers... Then the third one is going to have partially hidden coordinants, and you'll have to find the first two in order to get the cords of the first three.... I'm also thinking of doing a micro one - even though I hate them - and I'll do that by taping the cache to a tree, although I don't know if i want to make that themed or just make it anything small enough to fit in it.. Perhaps WheresGeorge would be good for that one.