course it was compounded by the fact that I'd made a couple of

mistakes ....

Your coords dont seem to get me there.

Yes, terrible mistake on my part, I don't know what I was thinking. I

had it all written down, but somewhere between transferring from Paper

to web site things went awry. You guess correctly of course where you

should be going because of the ........

I actually counted 55 but 60 is near enough correct. I have clarified

this a little now in the description .... You were never far away from it though

I have clarified the description here again so as to not count the side

door ......

I should have said multiply by 100 rather than 10. Ouch, that's another

big mistake .......

I shall await to see if anyone records an FTF on this one - but I submit that its unlikely at the moment.

You are correct, it would have never happened. Hopefully now though it

is more than possible, if not in fact very easy

Has anyone else had a recent HORROR story like this ..... ???

:rolleyes::ph34r::ph34r::o

I'm NOT telling!!! :rolleyes::ph34r:

Oh, and before you check my caches, the people concerned were nice enough to tell me and not publicly shame me and they said they enjoyed the walk anyway and then they placed a cache in the very interesting wrong location that they found, so you will never know.

If they decide to out me, I know where you live!!!

:ph34r::o:o

Edited by Alibags
Hmmm... here's one I remember well...scroll down to FTF log.... :blink::unsure::anibad::rolleyes::anicute::lol:

I remember that one too. Knowing the area well I knew the coordinates were wrong, so I waited patiently for an unfortunate guinea pig to come along and test them out.

Having let Seasider do all the hard work, I used his co-ordinates and his path through the bracken to find the cache without difficulty. Thanks John. :yikes::lol:

The first three logs on one of my caches were DNFs, which was not surprising as I'd posted co-ords which were about three hundred yards out. I've no idea how I managed that, but the mistake was compounded by the fact that the hint said "under the fallen tree" and by a big coincidence there was another fallen tree at the wrong co-ords!

I've had this one on my watchlist for ages, and it's in my "must do" list for the year, just because of the consternation it caused. It's actually become very popular, probably due to WLW's advertising - much to his frustration, no doubt!

Cobblers.

Initially, the co-ords for that cache were 205 metres away. They're still about 30m off - in dense undergrowth, and the cache owner stubbornly refuses to alter the listing.

If I hadn't logged the accurate waypoint, it's possible that no-one else would ever have found it. Read the logs.... -Wlw

Hmmm... Usefully reassuring that other people make mistakes too. I have, in the past (Sulber Gate being a classic - oops sorry!) become Geocachingly paranoid and am always grateful when people log a FTF with no sarcastic comments! Hey ho... only a game and a bit of fresh air never hurt anyone. Still if I didn't put more out then there would be nothing to find... albeit eventually!

;):D

Hmm, hadn't thought about that, are they at all visible when they are open? Unfortunately it didn't matter in your case, I once again had my maths completely round the twist for some odd reason. I have adjusted the description accordingly and you should now have everything you need to go directly to the cache location

This cache is definitely JINXED - same one as I started this thread with and the maths was still wrong

:D:lol:

Actually I'm beginning to think this is funny ........ ( I think )

When Moon-Watcher and I worked out our offset Centre of England cache, we dropped loads of waypoints for potential places to hide the cache, and a few at the start point. We carefully worked out all the questions and answers, taking best averaged readings with 2 machines over 3 visits on different days to the cache site, and finally published the cache.

Imagine my horror when I plugged the published co-ordinates for the start point into streetmap, only to find we had used the wrong waypoint! It was a good 1/2 mile adrift! :tired:

Quickly we dived in to edit the co-ordinates to the right place. But if you move the figures by more than a short distance, the site stops you. :rolleyes: Fortunately we found that if we moved the figures a little bit at a time we could slide it towards where it should have been!

worked out our offset Centre of England cache

The Ordnance Survey Website may not mention the village of Meriden but it does mention:

GeoFacts

The point furthest from the sea in the British Isles is at Grid Reference SK 257144.

This lies just east of Church Flatts Farm, approximately 1 mile south-east of Coton in the Elms, Derbyshire.

As it so happens a footpath starts at EXACTLY this location.

Type in SK 257144 into the OS GetaMap and you'll see.

So as a development on a theme - here we havea FailedFirstToFind because its not yet there (YET). Now dont all rush to place this cache. [The OS GeoFacts gives rich pickings for potential cache locations.]

:D:blink:

GeoFacts: centre of the country

Centre of England (mainland only)

Lindley Hall Farm, 1.5 km east of Fenny Drayton and 5 km north of Nuneaton.

Grid Reference: SP 36382.2, 96810.73

This is north of Nuneaton and there is a footpath at the farm but not at the exact location.

So it looks like the former is a better bet!! B)

Edited by kewfriend