Found Benchmark, But No Info On It

Ed & Julie

Hmmm. You found an interesting one! The closest mark in the NGS database appears to be KS-1867, which was monumented six years later, in 1939.

A couple of notes:

(1) This disk appears to be in excellent condition for its age;

(2) The name of the station is F 42 or F42. A state-of-California name search at NGS did not produce any results that seemed applicable to the situation.

(3) Your Lat and Long appear to be expressed in Degrees with decimal Minutes. When writing this, I recommend a space after the degree figure. Hence, it becomes:

N39 49.395, W121 42.719. A radial search at NGS centered on these coordinates produced only two stations--one of which was KS1867, mentioned above.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance on this one. Great photo, by the way!

-Paul-

Edited by PFF
If you know the 7.5 minute (1.24,000) quad name we can figure out the 15 minute name for your given area.  All you need is a regular index of topographic names.  We sell our control in 15 minute quads for $1.25 for vertical and $1.25 for horizontal or $2.50 for both.    There is also a $5.00 handling charge for your order.  The best way to order is to call us with your credit card order or fax (we will call for your credit card number) us an order.  That way we can lower the prices according to contents in folder.

Frank Oehring

U.S. Geological Survey

Mid-Continent Mapping Center

Earth Science Information Center (ESIC)

1400 Independence Road, Mail Stop 231

Rolla, Mo. 65401

Toll Free 1-888-275-8747

Phone: (573) 308-3500

Fax: (573) 308-3615

E-mail: mcmcesic@usgs.gov

Edited by elcamino
I found a benchmark today and I too am unable to find a data sheet either on geocaching.com or USGS

I have written an email to USGS to see if they can come up with the data sheet.

I received an email reply from Cheryl Malone today and she says that it appears that the designation in the database is not consistant with the stamping on the BM. She has passed on the information and she will try to figure out what happened and let me know what she finds.

So, the data sheet I found that seemed to be the correct one for this BM may well be the correct one with an error in designation. The designation on the data sheet was S 130. The designation on the BM was S 310.

It looks like Badge has not come back to see the suggestions about identifying the cache, but in case anyone else is interested, I found the mark on a topo map.

I downloaded the Paradise West 7.5' quad (o39121g6.tif) from the California Spatial Information Library (it's on page http://casil.ucdavis.edu/casil/gis.ca.gov/...trimmed/39121/).

Then, using MacGPS Pro, I put a point at Badge's stated coordinates. It was right next to a BM marked "1770" on the map, which of course is the same elevation marked on the disk that Badge found. There should be some others along that same road. :-)

I'll try to send Badge a note about this.

Patty

It looks like that last parentheses got included in the link. Deleting it seems to work.

Try this.

Edit: I still can't get used to seeing things like this on such pages (makes me feel like I've strayed into a parallel universe):

© 2000 State of California. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor.

Edited by embra
It looks like that last parentheses got included in the link.  Deleting it seems to work.

Thanks for catching that, Embra. The URL tags were added by the forum software; it caught the beginning of the URL properly, but apparently got confused by the parenthesis at the end of my sentence.

I still can't get used to seeing things like this on such pages (makes me feel like I've strayed into a parallel universe):

© 2000 State of California. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor.

LOL! I know what you mean. It does sound like something from a movie...

Patty

I found a benchmark today and I too am unable to find a data sheet either on geocaching.com or USGS 

I have written an email to USGS to see if they can come up with the data sheet.

I received an email reply from Cheryl Malone today and she says that it appears that the designation in the database is not consistant with the stamping on the BM. She has passed on the information and she will try to figure out what happened and let me know what she finds.

So, the data sheet I found that seemed to be the correct one for this BM may well be the correct one with an error in designation. The designation on the data sheet was S 130. The designation on the BM was S 310.

Received an email from Burt Smith at NGS tonight and the correct has been made to the data sheet for NA0635 and the correct designation is now S 310.

Received an email from Burt Smith at NGS tonight and the correct has been made to the data sheet for NA0635 and the correct designation is now S 310.

Thanks for the update and the details. A bit of clarification: NA0635 now shows on the NGS site with designation S 310. But the stamping shows "STAMPING: S-130 1942". Do you know if they will update the stamping?

Thanks for the update and the details. A bit of clarification: NA0635 now shows on the NGS site with designation S 310. But the stamping shows "STAMPING: S-130 1942". Do you know if they will update the stamping?

rogbarn,

They did not indicate if that correction would be made or not. Seems as though they should.

I just emailed Burt Smith and asked if the stamping on the data sheet should be changed to reflect the correction of the designation of S310. The stamping on the actual BM is correct to S310. The information on the data sheet was what was incorrect.

If someone can explain how to post a picture here I will post the BM or you can go to my post for finding NA0635 and see the picture there.