World Wide Geocaching Rankings

avroair

I didn't see this posted in the general forums, just the UK regional:

World Rankings

You need 4073 finds to crack the Top Ten

You need 1787 finds to be in the Top 100

You need 628 finds to march into the Top 1000

You need at least 200 finds to be on the list!!! :blink:

But hey, it's not about the numbers or we should be have road trips to the cache machine events right? :ph34r::blink::unsure:

I'm actually tied for #3 in the world, only I stopped logging caches online with #319.

Makes it more a personal victory (although I want to announce it here!).

By the same token, BrianSnat's #2 in the world for caches hidden. He's actually hidden several thousand caches - but I heard chooses not to post all of them online as a matter of style. I applaud his self-control! :unsure:

I agree with PT. In my world, I am the only geocacher. I hide them, I find them and I sometimes have to ask myself for hints. :unsure: I thoroughly enjoy going to events because I know that I will be engaged in intelligent conversation. I know who all the approvers are because, well, I am them.

Ok - I'm sorry. Long week. Guess who's a bit fried? :blink:

I'm actually tied for #3 in the world, only I stopped logging caches online with #319.

Makes it more a personal victory (although I want to announce it here!).

By the same token, BrianSnat's #2 in the world for caches hidden. He's actually hidden several thousand caches - but I heard chooses not to post all of them online as a matter of style. I applaud his self-control! :rolleyes:

I'm actually 1st in the Universe. Although I've only logged 883 on earth (my goal is to get to 1112 earth finds), I've found 11,111 caches in other galaxies.

Is there some way to get yourself removed off these stupid, meaningless lists?

Yeah, delete 46 of your finds :rolleyes:

When you notice the huge amount of 'drive and dumps' in some urban areas, it's no wonder some of these people have thousands of finds...

My new goal for the year:

2523 caches; added 2000 caches at ~5.6 per day

Nevermind.

When you notice the huge amount of 'drive and dumps' in some urban areas, it's no wonder some of these people have thousands of finds

Some of those people are known for their armchair finds. Bagging virtuals all over the world by Googling the answers. Personally I don't see the point of that and I think it's ever so slightly dishonest.

Some of those people are known for their armchair finds. Bagging virtuals all over the world by Googling the answers. Personally I don't see the point of that and I think it's ever so slightly dishonest.

Guess they go by Theodore Roosevelt's motto:

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." :blink:

Hey, they are only fooling themselves. <_<

Geesh...  <_<

Salvelinus

You can go to the web page and at the bottom of the page is a link for the owner. He will remove you from the list or change your name to anonymous.

Thanks!

I see the name, but no link.

Salvelinus

Geesh...  <_<

Salvelinus

You can go to the web page and at the bottom of the page is a link for the owner. He will remove you from the list or change your name to anonymous.

Thanks!

I see the name, but no link.

Salvelinus

Here you go Bob:

http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net/index.html

According to the site:

Question:

I'm listed and would prefer not to be. Can I be removed from the list?

Answer:

Yes, you can be removed from the list. Send me an email with your caching nickname and I can either remove you completely or make your entry read "anonymous". If you are changed to "anonymous", the number of caches found and the links to your profile and current stats will also be removed.

I'm already off of the list as of yesterday. Everybody with less than 700 and something just moved up a notch. Congratulations!

What would this game be like if you could only see your own statistics on your profile?

You most likely would ask yourself : Am I enjoying this activity?

I have to tell you that during the warm months I ride my bicycle and very much enjoy that. During the colder months I have always enjoyed hiking. This activity promises to bring another very enjoyable twist to both those activities. I have also brought my son's boy scout troop into some of the hunts. That I enjoy it is all that matters to me.

What would this game be like if you could only see your own statistics on your profile?

You most likely would ask yourself : Am I enjoying this activity?

That's the key to me as well. Its just another way to enjoy the outdoors. The only time numbers mean anything to me is when someone logs a DNF for one of my caches. If I see they have a handful of finds, I'm less likely to run out and check on it.

If those stats weren't there then I'd be running out to check on every DNF that pops up.

Other than that, the numbers aren't important to me.

If those stats weren't there then I'd be running out to check on every DNF that pops up.

Nowadays, I look at how long they have been caching before I look at their number of finds as a gage of experience. Four years ago, the find count was much more related to experience. Today, one good weekend in a cache heavy area and you can pass my find count easily.

See...I still don't need numbers <_<

Salvelinus

Here you go Bob:

http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net/index.html

According to the site:

Question:

I'm listed and would prefer not to be. Can I be removed from the list?

Answer:

Yes, you can be removed from the list. Send me an email with your caching nickname and I can either remove you completely or make your entry read "anonymous". If you are changed to "anonymous", the number of caches found and the links to your profile and current stats will also be removed.

I'm already off of the list as of yesterday. Everybody with less than 700 and something just moved up a notch. Congratulations!

Done!

Thanks QM

...I'm already off of the list as of yesterday.  Everybody with less than 700 and something just moved up a notch.  Congratulations!

Actually, no one moved up a notch. The only change is that one less person shares that 'rank'.

I believe that you are mistaken but I really don't care one way or the other.

I feel kind of sorry for the people who do care, though.

I don't get the negativity toward the rankings. Someone took the time to put this out there and I havn't seen any kudos toward the publisher. I say "thanks" for putting it out there - I'm sure it took a bit of effort to do & I appriciate the work you put into it. For those that don't like it - don't look at it.

I don't like the asinine behavior that the numbers inspire in some people. I especially don't like that they put such a high value on junk caches that have no redeeming value other than a quick stat. It is therefore my wish not to particpate in any "contest" that I consider detrimental to geocaching.

I do say "thanks" to the publisher for allowing the option not to be included in this nonsense and for removing my name from the list in a timely fashion.

I don't get the negativity toward the rankings.  Someone took the time to put this out there and I havn't seen any kudos toward the publisher.  I say "thanks" for putting it out there - I'm sure it took a bit of effort to do & I appriciate the work you put into it.  For those that don't like it - don't look at it.

Because it is meaningless, useless and has nothing to do with geocaching. The rankings promote a totally different game favored by a ever-growing number of numbers obsessed individuals.

I want nothing to do with that...so I opted out.

Salvelinus

Because it is meaningless, useless and has nothing to do with geocaching. The rankings promote a totally different game favored by a ever-growing number of numbers obsessed individuals.

Couldn't disagree with you more, it has everything to do with geocaching. Geocaching has grown in popularity and evolved due to two things:

1) online logs

2) tracking your number of finds

Objectively, geocaching is the Walmart of GPS hunts, the biggest and designed for the lowest common denominator. (This is not a put down but an observation, it caters to the broadest swath of people). Geocaching has evolved past an obsure outdoors niche to become a global game. Some may not like this change, but there is room for everyone.

Edit: Just don't find or place the 1/1 drive and grabs.

Edited by avroair

The stat I find misleading is # hidden since it doesn't show the number still active. I have hidden 44 but only 20 are still active.

Closing the topic. Since people can still access the link if they want and avoid it also if they want.

Edited by avroair