Cache Adoption

I keep reading through a number of threads that refer to adopting a cache. I keep wondering why you would want to adopt something that isn't yours.

Hear my out. I look at it this way. Say the cache was/is in a nice area, has a great view or other assets that made it a "great cache". Once it is archived due to neglect, abandonment or what have you there is an area that opens up for a new cache. One that is fresh, full of trinkets for the kids and being maintained by an energetic cacher wearing the pride of ownership.

It would bring the " old hands" of the caching community back for a second look at why it was there in the first place. If its a " lame " cache then its just as well that it's gone.

enlighten me as to your reasons. :o

I keep reading through a number of threads that refer to adopting a cache. I keep wondering why you would want to adopt something that isn't yours.

Hear my out. I look at it this way. Say the cache was/is in a nice area, has a great view or other assets that made it a "great cache". Once it is archived due to neglect, abandonment or what have you there is an area that opens up for a new cache. One that is fresh, full of trinkets for the kids and being maintained by an energetic cacher wearing the pride of ownership.

It would bring the " old hands" of the caching community back for a second look at why it was there in the first place. If its a " lame " cache then its just as well that it's gone.

enlighten me as to your reasons. :o

If you adopt a cache you become the owner of the container and contents. This can save some cash.

There is nothing preventing the adopter from restocking the cache with primo swag.

What you are saying may go along with the stipulations that some parks impose saying that a cache must be removed after one year. If that was the case each of us would have a brand new set of caches to find every year. But some are fine the way they are. The cache has some history. There might be a good reason to adopt such as the cache isn't even old at all. Just cannot be maintained by the placer for who knows what reason. Adoption of caches is fine.

A major reason is to preserve the history of the cache. If the cache is archived, it becomes a lot harder for the old logs to be seen.

For many, it's saving a cache that they particularly liked. Why go to all of the trouble of getting it archived then placing a new one - when you can verify that it's abandoned and have the ownership transferred with the same amount (or less) work.

There are monetary issues but honestly those are minor.

I think it goes back to the history of the cache. I love seeing caches hidden in 2002, 2001, and even 2000 (I don't think we have any that old here). It's good to keep the history alive, if possible.

I haven't adopted any, but there are a couple I'm considering. One of the caches I've been effectively maintaining since the owner hasn't been around in almost 2 years. The cache went missing, I replaced it. It's a popular cache with a lot of logs dating back several years. I don't see a reason to delist it.

If there's a cache in a location somebody truly likes - they WILL go back whether there's a find waiting or not.

On the flip side, I know plenty of geocachers that will archive their caches after 6 months to a year and place a new one in the same general area (not exactly the same).

I think, in rambling, that I'm trying to say there's room for adoption and there is room for archival/new-placement. This varies from region to region - but I think there's some mixture of this everywhere.

southdeltan

I recently adopted a cache Meteor Maven that had fallen into disrepair in a park near me. I did it for a couple of reasons:

1. it was the first cache I had ever found;

2. it had a long history of being in a fairly open area without being muggled (almost four years);

and

3. there aren't a lot of other caches in my area, and I could help keep it viable.

I ended up replacing everything -- the container, log and the goodies -- but the history of this one cache remains intact and on-going. Who ever reads the logs in an archived cache?

Edited by Metaphor

I do see your point to an extent. Some caches really should be put to rest. But in some instances if there is a particularly unique, or historic (by geocaching standards) cache I see no reason not to adopt it. Especially if the original logbook is still there.

But if the only reason for archiving a cache is to place another cache 5 feet from the original just so locals can bag another smiley, I don't see the point.

I just adopted a cache that was the very first cache to be placed in this valley almost 3 years ago, and the second cache I ever went to.

The person who placed never did anything else, seemingly dropping of completely. So far, it's done well with nobody in particular watching it. But finally this last summer the container broke down. An out of towner replaced the container.

So I felt more needed to be done to maintain a great piece of history, so I adopted it. I hope it lasts for as long as gc.com does. :o

Thanks for your replies thus far. Some of the reasons given I had thought of and others never entered my mind. We have a cacher that is moving soon and I think one of our locals might be adopting one of the caches. When I asked her why she had no reply other then she said she would. :o

This, to me, isn't a reason to archive a cache

But if the only reason for archiving a cache is to place another cache 5 feet from the original just so locals can bag another smiley, I don't see the point

I would like to hear the story on this

And I tell cachers about it when we have a cache event and there is not a dry eye in the crowd. Its nice to be of assistance when someone needs it

;)

We are honoured to have adopted a cache in the UK placed by one of the country's foremost cachers - he toured the country once a year in a GPS fox hunt for charity, placed countless caches, supplied amazing web resources for the UK caching community, and unfortunately passed away in September last year.

It'd be crass to archive his cache and place a new one. Instead, we will maintain his cache in his memory - as many other teams have done with his other caches.

That's one reason to adopt.

Cheers,

Stu

So how do you adopt a cache. We have a cache in our area that needs maintenance. The owner knows and has temporarily disabled it. He says he doesn't know when he can get to it and hasn't been geocaching in about 8 months. Should we ask him if he would like to have us adopt it. It would take us about 45 minutes to get to it. But could go back. We fixed everything but the container that leaked (we didn't have an extre with us)??? Comments - suggestions - just no flames please.

So how do you adopt a cache.  We have a cache in our area that needs maintenance.  The owner knows and has temporarily disabled it.  He says he doesn't know when he can get to it and hasn't been geocaching in about 8 months.  Should we ask him if he would like to have us adopt it.  It would take us about 45 minutes to get to it.  But could go back.  We fixed everything but the container that leaked (we didn't have an extre with us)??? Comments - suggestions - just no flames please.

Ask the person if they would like you to adopt it. If they say yes, then either write to your local approver if you know who he is, or just write to contact@Groundspeak. com, and let them know that the owner would like you to adopt it. They can take care of it from there.

Edited by Ambrosia

I have 3 adopted caches. When the owner passed away, archiving didn't seem like the best option, although some people did just that. Anyway, I would have kept those caches regardless because I thought they were already in the best place possible, and I am proud to take care of a cache still with the original log from 2001.

However, lately there has been a ton of archival locally. Caches that were at the bottom of the second page of nearest caches are now in the middle of the first. Some people are interested in adopting all of those caches. I really don't think that's a good time for adoption, because every local found those caches years ago, and newcomers wouldn't mind a freshly placed cache. A few can be saved for 'historical purposes', but new caches are nice too.

How about, "I'm moving out of the area and I won't be back, will someone adopt my caches?"

I just adopted a great cache at the request of the owner because she was moving away. I did it mainly because it is worth saving. By the way, if you come to Zion Park, you should try it. It is called 'Zion Treasure Hunt'. It may take you awhile, though.