Dc Area

I Can See Lincoln

The owner of that cache may or may not email you back when you send your answer. Any cache in that area is really nice. I have two -- one I created early on and another that I adopted. One is the FDR cache and the other is So We Will Remember Them.

One of my all time favorite photos from another nearby cache. This was taken at midnight. You have to go late to have photos with no people in them. The black at the bottom of the photo is from unlit stairs. They turned the lights off when I left.

b465b6b3-bd5d-46a4-9414-a2b8969966fb.jpg

This cache is one of my favorite caches on the mall.

It is a little tougher than your average virtual.

Last stop for a weary traveler

19e7187c-6078-4571-9c3f-516744db6837.jpg

Edited by mtn-man

Yes, as a previous poster stated, it is "I can see Lincoln" GC2657. To get a list of approximately 66 caches in DC, do a GC.Com search from zip code 20500. That will start the list at the White House and give caches and distances from there. Almost all are virtuals, you'll do a lot of walking, see things most tourists never see, and have a great time.

Regards,

Bill

About 20 minutes north of the beltway and 40 minutes north of downtown D.C., there is also a Project A.P.E. cache. It looks like that is one of the only cache types you haven't logged, and this one is a lot of fun to do. Might be a great opportunity for you. Here is a little background on Project APE and the link to the cache closest to D.C...

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/marklent60544.../projectape.htm

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...42-a76dad7d3344

Actually, the Shady Grove Metro (Red Line) is only about 3.5 miles driving distance to the cache site... maybe 2 miles, if walking. You could easily take a cab from the Shady Grove Metro to the park. That might be a bit much, but it wouldn't be very expensive to do (just time consuming). My wife is at a church retreat this weekend, so I'm not available to give you a lift from the Metro (have to watch the two smaller Tiggers this weekend). I'll send you a PM with my phone number, so if you are still around Sunday afternoon or next week, I'd be happy to give you a ride from the Metro to the cache and back. Have fun!

Edit: I couldn't send a PM for some reason? Sent you an e-mail through GC website.

Edited by Mighty Tiggers

GeoForse - Awakening as in the statue? One of my favorites as well. Spent a lot of time in DC growing up and the Awakening view was always great for me, with planes shooting final to International right over your head! Albert Einstein was also one of my favorite spots!

I was just talking to my wife the other night (who has never been) and I promised her that when we head back to the states in May those are the first places I'm taking her.

:o Speaking of DC caches. It has been a loonnngggg time since I've been there. For example, when I was last there you could literally drive by the fence at the White House (family used to live there, so we'd go 1 or 2x a year). Anyway, can anyone suggest a way to see the caches on a map with the Metro stations included? Sounds like an odd request, but there's no way I want to drive in DC.

I'd love to take in the monuments and grab some virts while there, but have no idea where to start. You can email me directly at tix.chiggers@cox.net if you want. Or just post a reply here. Thanks!!!!

;)

Here is a link to the Meto map which gives you an idea of where the stops are along the Mall. There are a lot of virtuals along the Mall. Smithsonian (12th Street at Jefferson Drive SW, Washington, DC) (which is not that close to the most popular of the museums, but is close to the Carousel) and Federal Triangle (12th Street between Pennsylvania and Constitution avenues NW closest to the American History Museum) (both are *near* the Washington Monument and toward the end of the Mall with the Washington monument, the WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War and Lincoln memorials) and National Archives - Navy Memorial (North of Pennsylvania Avenue, west of Seventh Street NW and closer to the end of the mall with the Air and Space Museum, Canadian Embassy and the National Gallery) are all good choices. Hopefully the street locations for the metro stops will help with planning your route.

As for driving by the White House - - you can now walk in the new pedestrian park that used to be that portion ot Penn. Ave.

Hope you enjoy

Here's an old forum topic on walking the Mall area. The map is a little outdated now given this is from 2 years ago. Bottom line is that you're probably better off just walking around the mall area than attempting to take the Metro.

If you want to go off mall here's another discussion on the proximity of caches to Metro stops - again a little dated but still accurate.

As far as the DC Cornerstone Cache goes, either stop mentioned above should work fine - although you will have to walk a ways to get to it.

If you are really interested in the DC cornerstones the southern one is located near this archived cache.

Have fun!!!

:D Speaking of DC caches.  It has been a loonnngggg time since I've been there.  For example, when I was last there you could literally drive by the fence at the White House (family used to live there, so we'd go 1 or 2x a year).

Wow, Roger Clinton is a geocacher?

You've not been to DC in awhile huh? The last time I was there Reagan was president. Sorry I am definitely not Roger Clinton...

Good thing since I'm a woman.

:D

The West Falls Church Metro will get you with in about 1 mile or so of that cache. Look at where 66 and rt 29 cross.

As to the Metro stations, I have a tpg file here some place that has all the metro rail stops as waypoints, Ill see about getting that posted or somehing. Also dont forget the W&O Bike Path that runs from DC to Purciville Va that I think will be a slightly shorter walk.

Here is a link to the web site - http://www.wodfriends.org/ and here is a link that shows the bike paths and metro rail stops w/ stop names. Its a few MB's but its worth the DL http://www.fhiplan.com/novabike/documents/...ovember2003.pdf

-R

edit note - I posted this without refershing the page, turns out I had loaded this page a bit ago :/

Edited by RobAGD