Garmin Mapsource Topo Us Maps

Fox Gap

I just bought a Etrex Vista (had an old Lowrance) and was wondering if buying the topographical software will help me out at all. I haven't received the unit yet, but am looking for any info from someone familiar with the topo maps. Can't wait for my first geocache experience!

I don't know about "worth it" -- I think the Mapsource products are overpriced -- but they definitely are a great improvement. Without them, you get enough information to be useful driving, but not really enough to be useful on foot (for example, a river will show up, marshy ground will not). I think I waited, like, six months before I sprung for them.

If it is anything like the Canadian version it depends on what you want from it. The Canadian Ver. will get you to the approx. area and might give you the right or wrong side of the creek or on the ridge but that is it. I like what I have with the Canadian Ver. and find it useful.

I think the Mapsource products are overpriced -- but they definitely are a great improvement.

That is the problem with a lot of the mapping programs and GPS units, it is the cost of the extra's which are dedicated to the brand.

Edited by Cachengrab

Depends on what you want. Very generally speaking a topo map has topo lines and data that is topo related whereas a street map package has more things of interest to those driving or using roads.

I don't have Garmin stuff to speak directly to your question, but with my Magellan software one difference is that when I am out on a lake the 'points' and bays of the lakes are labelled and named with my topo software. With my street software they are not.

At the same time my street software has restaurants, hotels, airports, hospitals, theater and all sorts of other places listed whereas the topo software doesn't.

So, the differing types of info you get should be considered/researched.

Now, as to the actual topographical lines, will they help you? Maybe. It really depends. Do you know how to read topo lines? Even if you do I find that the small display on the GPS makes it difficult to make use of them. For topo information I really prefer a large paper map.

Anyway, If you cache in areas with a lot of vertical changes, such as if you live in a mountainous area you might find the topo stuff useful, but if you live where the terrain is mostly flat it probably isn't all that useful since the topo lines only show changes in elevation.

Again, "worth it" is a relative term. My Mapsource Topo was a birthday gift :unsure: but I would have paid the money for it anyway! Much nicer to be able to look at the display and see which is the short, steep route, vice the long shallow one, or that creek dries up to nothing a little further down the road.... I agree that on a monochrome display the contour lines and fine detail isn't always easy to see, but if you're going to spend a lot of time in the woods; I would recommend it!

I say yes. I have Mapsource Topo and have been using it a few years on my Vista and now on my 60CS. There is enough road data so you can find your way around. I've used it in strange cities while away on business or vacation to do that.

Topo has the coutour lines so you can see the lay of the land and also does a good job with steams, swamps and lakes. It comes in very handy when geocaching. Its helpful to know which side of a river or stream a cache is on so you can start out on the correct side and not find yourself doubling back or searching for a crossing. Its also helpful to know if there is a lake, cliff, ravine or whatever between you and the cache.

I recently received Mapsource City Select as a gift and have both on my 60CS and I still find myself using Topo about 80 percent of the time. It is definitely worth it because it makes your GPS far more useful.

Why not try something like Memory-Map? You can get a full set of state maps (in all three USGS scales) and the software for less than $100. You can't load it on your Garmin, but you can plan your attack, then send the waypoints (or routes) to your Garmin. You can also print out a map with the waypoints marked and even put text notes on it.

When you get back, you can download the track you recorded back into the program. You can download your corrected coordinates from the find. You can even attach photos to the waypoints on your computer, so when you open the waypoint, you can see exactly how the cache was hidden (or show your friends).

It also has 3D features, so you can decide if you REALLY want to attack that cache via the fifty degree incine on the west or find a more gentle approach.

Just my two cents. :unsure:

Edited by Greymane

Any TOPO software can be an aid on a GPS screen, Your are not going to get the same detail you have on a USGS TOPO map. But you will know what side of a creek or river the cache is on. The Garmin TOPO software will have streets but not all the street name, but it will get you around. Worth it, kind of depends on what you want from the software, If you want real TOPO detail you can buy National Geographic TOPO for the state you want to use it in(these are scanned USGS 7.5 min maps). NGTOPO Then you can print out a TOPO map of the area you are going into with the cache displayed on the paper.

It is a lot easier to use a paper map, as you do not have to zoom in and out all the time,

With a topo map on a GPS screen you Zoom in to get detail and you see very little of the map, Zoom out to see more map and you lose detail.

Edit for pre coffee typos

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I use Topo on my Vista. You'll also find many park "roads" within the woods on their Topo map that will help you plan your attack on the cache. You'll also get a pretty good idea how far you're going to hike to get their and it will often help where the trailheads are located. Good luck.

I have Mapsource TOPO also, running on my eTrex Legend & on my laptop. I find it valuable for all the reasons stated so far - better lay of the land with roads & terrain. I got mine for something like $89 (forgot the shipping amount though) from offroute.com. At one time offroute.com ponied up some of teh cost of the sale to geocaching.com (if you came of a link). Dunno if they are still doing that though... :P

Worth it? Absolutely. Just find a good price.

I didn't think it was worth the money living in Raleigh, NC.  I had been told it had more dirt roads and trails on it but that wasn't the case.  It may be better when we visit the mountains but not for our daily caching.

We're hoping to get more use of Topo when we do some mountain caching meanwhile it's City select with our 60C