The Grave

Early one morning I went on a hike in a semi-remote area seeking a spot for a cache placement. Following the trail around the lake, I noticed something unusual about 100 feet off the trail. I walked towards it and suddenly I found myself in front of a freshly-dug grave! :unsure::):D:unsure: My adrenaline started to really flow when I saw a shovel and two gloves at the bottom of the grave. In my mind I said “I”VE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE!”

Suddenly a rather large man appeared from behind some trees and approached me. Scanning him for a weapon, I wasn’t sure if I should run or attack him. I backed away as he moved closer. “I’m just burryin’ a dog,” he said. Of course, there was no carcass to be seen. “You got a problem with that?” he added.

“No,” I said as I was now quickly walking back to my car. He continued to follow me and stopped about 100 feet from the parking area. My hands shaking, I managed to unlock the car door. I got his out-of-state license plate number from his van and got the heck out of there. Of course I forgot to bring my cell phone this particular morning. Stopping at a bus stop, I borrowed a cell phone from a woman and contacted the local authorities.

The police later called me and asked me to come back to the scene. Upon arrival, it was just like something out of the movies. Police cars filled the parking lot; detectives were scouring the area and taking photographs. Of course the man had taken off just after I left. They questioned me for about twenty minutes as to the details. The detective said I could later call and find out the outcome of their investigation.

Several days later I did call. They did locate the man and he was able to produce a veterinary bill that indicated he had a large dog put to sleep.

Edited by Katydid & Miles Stone
It's still strange why he followed you back to the car.

Duh. He was looking to see if there where any more dogs that needed to by buried. :blink: Good job on stiring things up. It's not every day you pass a dude in the wilderness digging a grave for a [cough]RUN[cough] animal. <_<

Edited by Green Achers

Several years ago while mapping an area for Orienteering I came upon a shallow grave. A foot with only the bone remaining was exposed, and one empty eye socket stared up at me. I quickly finished mapping the area before informing the police just in case they wanted to seal it off. The map was due at the printers later that week. The case is still open. Later that summer a friend of mine was fishing and heard a splash behind him. A couple minutes later a body, with mouth and nose duct taped shut, floated down stream past his line. This fall another orienteer found a body not far from Eagle Rock cache in Lancaster County PA. Spend enough time in the woods and most anything will turn up.

Edited by edscott

Here’s an interesting story, reprinted from DOG LOVER’S WORLD magazine:

My dear old hound Rover passed away peacefully in his sleep, and early the next morning I went on a hike in a semi-remote area seeking a spot to lay my faithful companion to rest. No sooner had I finished the sorrowful task and gently patted the last earth back into place, when I noticed something unusual about 100 feet off the trail. I walked towards it and suddenly I found myself in front of a strange, metal box, the military sort that ammunition and explosives are stored in. My adrenaline started to really flow when I noticed the camo paint job and two gloves laying near the side of the box. In my mind I said “I”VE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE!”

Suddenly a rather large man appeared from behind some trees and approached me. Scanning him for a weapon, I wasn’t sure if I should run or attack him. I backed away as he moved closer. “I’m just playin a treasure hidin’ game,” he said. Of course, there was no money, valuables or other “treasure” to be seen. “You got a problem with that?” he added.

“No,” I said as I was now quickly walking back to my car. He continued to follow me and stopped about 100 feet from the parking area. My hands shaking, I managed to unlock the car door. I got his out-of-state license plate number from his van and got the heck out of there. Of course I forgot to bring my cell phone this particular morning. Stopping at a bus stop, I borrowed a cell phone from a woman and contacted the local authorities.

The police later called me and asked me to come back to the scene. Upon arrival, it was just like something out of the movies. Police cars filled the parking lot; detectives were scouring the area and taking photographs. Of course the man had taken off just after I left. They questioned me for about twenty minutes as to the details. The detective said I could later call and find out the outcome of their investigation.

Several days later I did call. They did locate the man and he was able to convince the authorities he was involved in some crazy sport called “geocaching”.

sorry... no offense intended. I just couldn't help thinking what it would be like if the shoe was on the other foot - GL

I gotta remember never to hide a cache in my parents backyard. Every pet we ever had is buried there (including Aunt's cats). Dogs (5), cats (4), birds (2), gerbils (6), even an iguana is back there.

Whoever buys the house in a hundred years and digs back there is gonna think a slaughter happened!

Bilbo it's the same behind my house... I always thought if we ever got a garage the construction people would probably freak out... No dogs back there but many many hamsters, large fish, mice, amphibians, reptiles, and a kitten.

This topic also reminds me of the time I was a kid, was walking in this woodsy area near my house (very narrow swatch of trees along a canal but stretches about 2 miles) when I came across a bag with what looked like a dead crow and possibly some small skinned animals inside it. I was too scared to report it to anyone (partly because technically I wasn't allowed to be in the trees there :rolleyes: )

Here’s an interesting story, reprinted from DOG LOVER’S WORLD magazine:

My dear old hound Rover passed away peacefully in his sleep, and early the next morning I went on a hike in a semi-remote area seeking a spot to lay my faithful companion to rest. No sooner had I finished the sorrowful task and gently patted the last earth back into place, when I noticed something unusual about 100 feet off the trail. I walked towards it and suddenly I found myself in front of a strange, metal box, the military sort that ammunition and explosives are stored in. My adrenaline started to really flow when I noticed the camo paint job and two gloves laying near the side of the box. In my mind I said “I”VE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE!”

Suddenly a rather large man appeared from behind some trees and approached me. Scanning him for a weapon, I wasn’t sure if I should run or attack him. I backed away as he moved closer. “I’m just playin a treasure hidin’ game,” he said. Of course, there was no money, valuables or other “treasure” to be seen. “You got a problem with that?” he added.

Several days later I did call. They did locate the man and he was able to convince the authorities he was involved in some crazy sport called “geocaching”.

sorry... no offense intended. I just couldn't help thinking what it would be like if the shoe was on the other foot - GL

Okay, I'm a little late in replying to this... but geez! Thanks for the laugh... I about peed my pants!!!!

Crystal