Caches Of Harriman State Park

matty714

I just want to hear from fellow cachers aon the topic of great harriman State park Caches. Let me know about your favorite cache, loop, or whatever inside HSP. The park is my main stomping ground and I like to get as much feedback and comments by others who have hiked the park. I will post mine when i think of them tonight! So let me know the best places to go. peace

One of my favorite hikes in Harriman is to start at the southmost visitors center and catch the 7 Hills Trail and take it over the Tourne to Pine Meadow Lake. Sometimes I'll veer off on the Racoon Brook Hill trail for the sake of variety. Then depending on how much time I have, I'll either head back to my car via the Pine Meadow trail, use one of the many trails in the area to make a larger loop. Funny because though I used to do this several times a year, I haven't since I started geocaching. Probably because geocaching has introduced me to so many other great places to hike.

My favorite cache to date in Harriman was Torry Mtn which was a short, somewhat steep hike to a great view.

I also enjoyed Avroair's Africa Loop series a lot.

Edited by briansnat

I've done a whole lot of loops in Harriman. It's my favorite place to cache.

What areas do you have left and maybe we can offer up some good loops to cover them. Also let us know what sort of terrain you prefer. Some of the loops have some good vertical changes which might not be what you are into.

Last weekend I made a fun day at Silvermine Lake. I headed up an old ski road to Spanish Mine cache and looped around to Brian b's William Brien Shelter, then down the other side of Silvermine Lake. Lot's of BigBIll caches. fun in Winter. Peace.

Also, I too loved the Africa Loop Series. Perfect length and time found all.

This might be a bit much, but I have a bunch of good loops so here they are. You can click on the images to open a larger (size and dimension) version of the track log.

13 mile 5 cache loop:

harriman1_tn.jpg

Tiorati 6.5 mi 5 cache loop (combined with the below for a 15.2 mi day):

harriman3_tn.jpg

Anthony Wayne 8.7 mi 7 cache loop. (7th cache was a hard bonus from where the rest were but you get to run across the Palisades on the AT):

harriman2_tn.jpg

Anthony Wayne 10.5 mi 7 cache Trepidation Loop:

harriman4_tn.jpg

Shorter 4.4 mi 2 cache out and back off Johnsontown Rd:

harriman5_tn.jpg

7 mi 5 cache + 1 nearby virt cache Jonboy Loop:

harriman6_tn.jpg

8 mi 9 cache loop (includes Boston cache):

harriman7_tn.jpg

7.6 mi 7 cache Nickel Mine Cassidy loop:

harriman8_tn.jpg

13.6 mi 13 cache Silvermine loop:

harriman9_tn.jpg

(continued in next post)...

I hate to plug someone elses cache, but since he kept whining about getting it approved, and I had to cart his big butt around in a hurricane to getthe stages right, I would recommend Team Bam Bam's One Particular Harbor.

Avroair's Africa loop was also great. I haven't done too much hiking up there in recent years, but the Kanawake and Tom Jones region is a great place. I had a lot of fun here over the years.

Continued from prev post. Click on the thumbnails to open larger images.

6.6 mi 9 cache Turkey Lake loop:

harriman10_tn.jpg

Short 3.4 mi 2 cache out and back combined with the loop below:

harriman11_tn.jpg

11.3 mi 3 cache Water Tank out and back:

harriman12_tn.jpg

There's also the Africa Series Loop, what's left of the Pirates Event caches and still some loops I need to get out there and do. I also think some new caches have been added that'll give me some good times starting this spring.

Edited by Team DEMP
Great post, Team DEMP! I did two of those loops with you guys; now I know where the others are...much appreciated!

No problem at all!

My tracks are in MapSource so if anyone wants them, just contact me. Never played with a Magellan but if there's a way to convert the tarcks between Garmin and Magellan formats using GPSBabel and you want them, again just email me.

David

What is a group hunt??? This weekend I plan on heading for a FTF at Dater Mine Cache off Johnsontown Road. Who wants to get it 1st???

Occasionally someone will post about a cache and ask if anyone would like to join them, just as you have done with the Dater Mine Cache. It is never for a simple park-n-grab types, but usually a group hike to hit a bunch of caches or tackle one tough cache. No matter what, it is always fun and I always look forward to getting together, I have never met a cacher I did not like! :laughing:

Kar

My cousin and I just completed an 8 mile loop, grabbing Iko-Iko and Water Tank. After the initial climb, the hike is relatively flat -- a nice plus when dealing with winter weather. Both are snow friendly, and both offer a very nice hike. Not many views, though, but that is the nature of a flat hike.

David offers part of the hike as one of his maps. . . .

I kept planning on getting iko-iko which showed up after I got the other caches in the area, but it was by itself and I kept passing it into and out of the park but never stopped to grab it.

I have a couple of scattered singles here and there and a small cluster by Doodletown and on the other side of the Bear Mountain Bridge. After that I think I've cleaned out Harriman. What that means is I need to find another amazing area like Harriman with great hikes/loops or I'll just be hiking in Harriman without caching.

OK, (being honest) I just skimmed over most of the previous posts but I have to put in a vote for Avroair's Africa Loop. Harriman is a great place to hike and holds many childhood memories for me - we spent many summer weekends at the Masonic camp near the Africa Loop. You could throw a dart into a map of Harriman and find a nice place to hike - most caches are probably good ones in this region.

BMSquared is right, One Particular Harbour is a good one. It requires a boat and was placed in the beginning of the fall this past year so it didn't get a whole lot of fanfare when placed but if you enjoy canoeing/kayaking this should be on your 'to do list' come warmer weather.

As much as I've enjoyed all the caches and loops in Harriman, I think my favorite would have to be the "ready made" jonboy 6 cache loop which includes Trepidation and Break dem Bones. Both David and I did Trepidation in conjunction with another group, but that would normally be a must do with the loop. "Trepidation" would be just a short extention on the lower left of this track. This past year has given me a new perspective on the type of caches I enjoy most (Thanks, jonboy and BrianSnat).

3c5ed460-6a7d-4f59-8a84-0556b1bddc2d.jpg

Edited by Quoddy
BMSquared is right, One Particular Harbour is a good one. It requires a boat and was placed in the beginning of the fall this past year so it didn't get a whole lot of fanfare when placed but if you enjoy canoeing/kayaking this should be on your 'to do list' come warmer weather.

I just like to hear him say that.

Anyway, Bam Bam is not thinking clearly. With a moderate freeze, this could be done pretty easily, thereby avoiding the boating requirement.