Suspend Logs Question

otterbuff

OK, I have not posted in a long time, but I need to double check something. I have a couple of Virtual Caches that were logged in the same week by a couple of people. They did not send the 'confirmation email.' I sent them queries asking for the requested info and they have not been answered. Therefore, should I delte their finds (and reinstate later)? One of them claimed it on 6 Dec, therefore, is 'statute of limitations' up even though I have been trying to contact them?

You can look at their profile. If they have logged in to this site since your last email it's a fairly good assumption that they have had time to read the email you sent them.

If they havent responded then it's time to delete the logs.

You should at least tell them you've deleted their log and why. I don't believe the cacher gets an email when you delete their log.

I don't believe the cacher gets an email when you delete their log.

That is incorrect. When a log is deleted from a cache page, the person who wrote it receives a deletion notice in their email.

WH is correct. It will even tell you who deleted your log specifically. I have deleted unverified logs on my virtual caches. It seemed to be an attention-getter for one cacher. The wrote back quickly and confirmed the right answer. They then relogged the cache. A cache owner cannot restore the log (though an admin or reviewer on the site can).

Not by user name. You would have to know the specific cache. If you do know the cache your reviewer can check it out (or I could if you PM a link to me, but I don't want to start a floodgate of request of course). Deleted logs show by cache and cannot be searched by user.

NOTE: I would not be able to restore the log unless the cache owner give me permission. We do not get involved in disagreements regarding deleted logs between cache owners and people who log their caches. Trust me, I know from experience. :D

You can look at their profile.  If they have logged in to this site since your last email it's a fairly good assumption that they have had time to read the email you sent them.

If they havent responded then it's time to delete the logs.

You should at least tell them you've deleted their log and why. I don't believe the cacher gets an email when you delete their log.

They do and I'm glad for that feature. I had a log deleted and emailed the owner to ask why they did it and what kind of log they were looking for. This was on a traditional cache.

That owner never responded one way or the other on why they deleted my log. So I logged again and described the view, the terrain, the litter, the debate over the stuffed moose etc. They let that log stay. The original one was a story about a local businessman who I ran into in high school before he became prominant.

I deleted a log where a finder entered the exact same find TWICE. He got an automatic notification & emailed me as to why I deleted HIS log. He accepted my reason (double entry).

The point is, if you delete & the logger cares, he will contact you - if he does not, he does NOT care and you can let it go. The program works for everyone, well.

So is it possible to find out if I had a log deleted? I am almost certain I logged a DNF on a cache but it is not there. If I received an email about it, I may have deleted it with the spam and not noticed it.

Ummm...this struck me as odd. Why would a cache owner delete a DNF? I can see deleting a Found it log that I suspected (or knew) was bogus, but a DNF?

Cache owner: "I'm deleting your DNF because I don't believe you didn't find my cache. If you can prove you didn't find it by describing the area not around the cache, I'll reinstate your DNF."

Cacher: "Huh?" :rolleyes:

So is it possible to find out if I had a log deleted? I am almost certain I logged a DNF on a cache but it is not there. If I received an email about it, I may have deleted it with the spam and not noticed it.

Ummm...this struck me as odd. Why would a cache owner delete a DNF? I can see deleting a Found it log that I suspected (or knew) was bogus, but a DNF?

Cache owner: "I'm deleting your DNF because I don't believe you didn't find my cache. If you can prove you didn't find it by describing the area not around the cache, I'll reinstate your DNF."

Cacher: "Huh?" :rolleyes:

If several DNFs show up, the owner may feel they make his cache seem very difficult or missing and others may not hunt it until someone finds it. The cache in question has no DNFs and I remember it being very difficult. I was almost certain I logged one, but have found out otherwise. So I'm just as guilty as anyone else who didn't log one :o

I have a question/situation that I would like some input on. I placed a cache close to my home at one of the best Christmas light displays in town. The idea was to pass on greetings through the cache and also enjoy the lights. In the log I wrote that it was a night cache only, and that the cache would be removed until 6:00 PM each night. The one day I did not remove the cache, three people in one party logged the cache during the day. All of them said "would like to have seen the lights". The question is: Should I delete the logs because they didn't follow the rules, or just let it slide? So far I have just let it slide.

Yes. Unless you deleted the log yourself, you will get a notification when someone else deletes it. This was to combat the problem when you know you found x caches and it shows you have x - 1. It also makes people think twice before deleting your log entry.

This is exactly what happened. I had a log disappear and I don't recall ever seeing a confirmation on it. It was an isolated incident and I simply relogged it.

Some owners think that a DNF log will discourage geocachers from going out to hunt their cache. Instead of posting a note saying "I checked it and it is still there" after the DNF log they just delete the DNF log.

It happens, but not often.

Ummm...this struck me as odd.  Why would a cache owner delete a DNF?  I can see deleting a Found it log that I suspected (or knew) was bogus, but a DNF?

Some owners think that a DNF log will discourage geocachers from going out to hunt their cache. Instead of posting a note saying "I checked it and it is still there" after the DNF log they just delete the DNF log.

It happens, but not often.

Hmmm...okay, I guess I learn something new every day. Although I would simply post a note stating that it is still there, and maybe add a hint. Oh well. :huh: