how much info for the hunt?

vetenskapsman

Total newbie here - just logged my first find a few days ago. Great Fun! Still reading FAQ's and posts trying to sort it all out.

I'm heading out on a driving vacation in a couple weeks and I am downloading waypoints into my GPSr along my route - but there is so much info on the web page itself - including the decryted hints, other logs, etc. After I download the waypoints for the 50 or so potential caches along my way I won't remember a thing about the sites themselves.

Do most people use only the coords? Do people print out the pages and pack them along? Laptops, and hope for wireless hotspots icon_smile.gif So, what I'm asking is ... how much info do you bring and in what form icon_confused.gif

Thanks! -v

I figured there would be a considerable range of methods. I'm thinking that as a beginner I'd like to have as many aids as possible with me in case I get stuck - yet didn't want to nec. print out a page for every potential cache. Probably a good choice tho, until I get a litte more experience.

No problem to either come home or make a plan with printed pages for local/day trips but for my longer vacation I probably won't have easy access to the internet until I'm already way past the cache. Maybe I'd better start planning/printing now icon_smile.gif

-v

I started to keep cache pages in a notebook in my truck. So if the urge hits me I can grab the notebook and see what my target is.

I also have edited the waypoints in my GPS so I can tell if the location is a regular, micro, multi or virtual. I just added an additional letter to the end of the waypoint name to le tme know. Example a waypoint of GC0001-V would let me know it is a virtual cache.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

It's a good idea to have a printed page with you...

But it is wise to check the cache situation every now and then, I am not the only one who has tried to find a cache that has been disabled or changed location a week after I printed the page!

(And I still have some 6 month old printouts...)

-Errare humanum ets.-

I have the waypoints downloaded to my GPS and will sometimes hunt for a cache when I'm in the area just using those. But if I know I'm going out on a cache hunt, I bring the printed pages, so I have the additional information and hints.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I don't have a laptop or a PDA so what I do is copy the cache page and paste it in a word processing program then delete all the unwanted information and graphics. As a result you should be able to get at least seven descriptions per page.

Typically this is what I would print.

Shelby's Loot by Rod & Shelby N 39° 52.214 W 089° 36.932 Difficulty:1 Terrain:1 Depending on the trail you take will make a difference in the difficulty rating. You may have to leave the main trail to find this one! The cache container is a green ammo box. Additional Hints The others will get you there but high point is the place to be! Look at the base of the fallen one!

I use Pocket Queries for caches in areas I normally go, but for trips like you are planning it isn't practical to do a PQ for a route.

I have found several caches with nothing but the coordinates. How much more difficult this is depends on the cache.

I download the paypoint data in a .loc file, and copy and paste the key info from the cache page into a text file. I copy the name, coordinates, waypoint ID, the description, and anything else that looks interesting.

This way I can load the text file in my Palm Pilot, and have the basic info available. I used to print the text, and carry the information in a fanny pack with my GPSr. Now I carry my GPSr, Palm, some trade items, and cache supplies(pens, and extra logbook, ziplocs in various sizes, etc.).

Try a couple of different methods, and you should come up with a system that works for you. We all cache a bit differently. I think the definition of a "newbie" is simply someone who hasn't worked out their system, yet.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

We also print out and carry along the pages for each cache. When going on a long trip, we decided to keep a file folder for each state we were going to, then an additional "working folder" for the ones we planned to hit on any given day. When we parked, we would take the data for the cache we were hunting for out of the folder, fold it up and take it along, leaving the working folder in the car. As we completed each cache, we moved the printout for it back into the folder for the state in which it was located. That worked pretty well on our multi-state binge in late May and early June.

By carrying the pages for each cache, it also gives us something on which to write data such as the date and time we found the cache, what we left or took, any TBs that were in the cache and if we took them or left them, etc. After several consecutive days of this sort of thing, those notes are very handy to fall back on for logging your activities. Having them on the cache pages makes it simpler, since we use the waypoint designation from the sheet to call up the cache for logging purposes.

Another thing we did while travelling was to visit local public libraries for an hour or two to log our finds and check on the ones for the next day to make sure they weren't archived or disabled. As mentioned above, it's not too uncommon to get burned on something you printed out a few days before that went missing or was moved in the time before you arrived to look for it. We've had that sort of thing happen twice in 60+ finds, and we've forestalled the event two more times by checking in advance. If you can do this frequently, it cuts down on the amount of time you'll have to spend to do it all in one session later. It's amazing how time consuming it can be to log multiple caches, especially if you're hauling several travel bugs around and want to show them as being logged into and back out of each cache. Public libraries usually want you to fill out some sort of a temporary library card and agree that you won't go to any inappropriate sites, then they're happy to leave you alone in peace to use their equipment. They usually have a modest per page charge but will allow you to print.

We also have used university libraries for internet access when we were in a town that had a good sized university that was in session.

Finally, we printed and always carry with us the general explanation page from the Geocaching.com Website in case someone wants more data. Just having the cache page is ok, but the other provides more data for a skeptical law enforcement officer if a question ever arises. Even (or maybe especially)in small towns cachers do get queried by police at times, especially when visiting sites of disasters that have been made into virtual caches, etc. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=66075

We have also been known to at least look at the topo maps for a cache hidden near a river to help avoid the "wrong side" syndrome. We should have done that for one in Wisconsin where the bridge was out and a 20 mile detour would have been necessary to get to the actual location of the cache. We didn't get a chance to find that one because we didn't have time for the detour. Advance study would have prevented the problem.

Keep experimenting and you're likely to hit on the mode that works best for you. We find that the more data we have the better we like it. We're intrigued by Scout65's idea and may try it the next time we're recording data for caches we haven't already printed.

Welcome to the game from another pair of Newbies! icon_wink.gif

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need .... roads" --Dr. Emmett L. Brown

Scout65's method is the way I do it too - paste into a word processor then delete all the non-essential stuff.

I like to read background info about the location on the cache page, but I don't see any need to print it all out.

Doing it this way saves paper and ink, but of course it takes more time. On the other hand, by the time I've been through the page editing it, I've usually learned it all by heart anyway, so I end up not needing the printout after all!

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

Pocket Querys and my PDA have revolutionized the way I hunt caches.

But I also like taking a hard copy of cache reports with me. I can arrange them in the order I want to attack them, make notes on them, etc. As mentioned above they also are great to show to police officers who are wondering why you were poking around the bushes in the park.

Another thing I find useful is to download all the waypoints for the caches I'm intersted in hunting into Mapsource and then printing out maps. I then highlight the route/order I want to hit them. I love checking off those waypoints on teh paper map as I hit them. icon_biggrin.gif

Having said all that, I think a PDA and Pocket Querys is the single best option. Everything you need at your fingertips. It also makes caching on impulse possible. Many times I'll be driving someplace and simply fire up my GPSr and press NEAREST WAYPOINT, look up the info on my PDA and make an unscheduled detour.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Zowie - OK all - you have offically impressed me with your willingness to share tips with the new guy. Learned a lot in a few days. I especially like the quote from Dave_W6DPS.

<I think the definition of a "newbie" is simply someone who hasn't worked out their system, yet.>

So, no PDA - seems like a nice way to go but my "toy" account was just spent on the GPSr so that'll have to wait. I like the idea of a notebook and paper printouts. The ol cut/paste as suggested is a good compromise on paper/space. After all, it'd be a lot of trees to print out the whole page + for every cache in interested in on this trip. I'll also print out some explainatory pages - admit I hadn't appreciated the importance of having something tangible in hand to present to the "authorities". Given the number of times that is mentioned here I think I'll be prepared icon_smile.gif

So, my label of newbie firmly in place - I'll have to begin work on my own system. First addition (after paper printouts) - gloves. The cuts and nicks on my hands from my second (failed) cache attempt are living reminder ... g'nite all, -v

Well I don't have all the toys like some of these guys so I just print out pages to bring along.

If I'm only going out on 1 or 2, I usually print out the page as is. If I'm going out to make a day of it, then I'll cut and paste the relevant info to a word doc. To save paper I print front and back.

Some day I might go for more gadgets, but for now that works.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by vetenskapsman:

Zowie - OK all - you have offically impressed me with your willingness to share tips with the new guy. Learned a lot in a few days. I especially like the quote from Dave_W6DPS.

<I think the definition of a "newbie" is simply someone who hasn't worked out their system, yet.>

So, no PDA - seems like a nice way to go but my "toy" account was just spent on the GPSr so that'll have to wait. I like the idea of a notebook and paper printouts. The ol cut/paste as suggested is a good compromise on paper/space. After all, it'd be a lot of trees to print out the whole page + for every cache in interested in on this trip. I'll also print out some explainatory pages - admit I hadn't appreciated the importance of having something tangible in hand to present to the "authorities". Given the number of times that is mentioned here I think I'll be prepared icon_smile.gif

So, my label of newbie firmly in place - I'll have to begin work on my own system. First addition (after paper printouts) - gloves. The cuts and nicks on my hands from my second (failed) cache attempt are living reminder ... g'nite all, -v

BTW, If you have a laptop you can use that to read your pocket query's in the field. I often take my laptop and leave it in the vehicle so I can read querys and use my mapping software.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

I print out the pages which include the latest posts to the cache. Then once I've found the cashe I make notes on the pages, so I remember everything when I log the cache.

50! I'd definatly put them in a note book so I could keep the caches straight. I've only logged 9 caches and can't keep them all seperate.