Geocaching And Macintosh

Pisto3

Hi! I recently bought the new Macintosh iMac G5. It's a wonderful machine and I love it to death. BUT...since my job has settled down I've wanted to take up geocaching again after taking a while off, but now with this stupid macintosh it looks like my old Garmin Legend isn't gonna cut it, especially since it runs over serial port. And, of course, I can't run my Garmin Topo software on it. My Garmin is also experiencing pixel loss and when it takes a slight shock (like you bang it really lightly) it turns off. So, it's probably time for a new Unit and Software. But ... the question remains ! What is the best unit / software combo to use on a Mac. I don't need anything fancy, but I want it to feature downloadable topo maps. I hope someone can help me!

ok, after installing and playing with for a while. i say its okay. its not as detailed as i would of liked. no street level maps and such. there are 3 levels of maps. and they are as followed...

Level 1

gpsusa_level1.jpg

Level 2

gpsusa_level2.jpg

Level 3

gpsusa_level3.jpg

now that is the whole USA all 50 states, but i believe you can buy more detailed maps im looking into it.

thanks for the scoop KF. Is that an actual screenshot? It looks like they just scanned one of their paper maps in. <_< What about the other features - loading waypoints into your GPS, trip logging, etc?

The next step up looks like their Backroads Explorer, which goes to 1:100,000 scale, so I guess 5x more detailed than GPS USA, (though still not a street atlas per se). It's 17 CD-ROMs(!). At $45 (Amazon) doesn't sound too bad, compared to the Topo State series at $100/state!

Didn't get good reviews at Amazon, including one response from a Mac user, however I think National Geographic could do a better job of emphasizing the real uses of this (Topographical, campgrounds, trail roads, etc.), and not hinting at street mapping abilities.

Edited by fotobox
thanks for the scoop KF. Is that an actual screenshot? It looks like they just scanned one of their paper maps in. :rolleyes: What about the other features - loading waypoints into your GPS, trip logging, etc?

The next step up looks like their Backroads Explorer, which goes to 1:100,000 scale, so I guess 5x more detailed than GPS USA, (though still not a street atlas per se). It's 17 CD-ROMs(!). At $45 (Amazon) doesn't sound too bad, compared to the Topo State series at $100/state!

Didn't get good reviews at Amazon, including one response from a Mac user, however I think National Geographic could do a better job of emphasizing the real uses of this (Topographical, campgrounds, trail roads, etc.), and not hinting at street mapping abilities.

yes those are screen screen shots and yes id say they are simply scanned maps, when you zoom really close they get a little pixelated, but still not bad for $25.

the software seems to load waypoints from my etrex legend fine, even tracks, but choked trying to load both .gpx and .loc files created by gc.com. i use link2gps and gpswrite for those tasks by hike tech, as well as macCMconvert. which all seem to do well for me.

i was looking at the backroads explorer which looked like it would be the next step up in map detail, but after looking at the screen shot on ng's site and reading the comparison, it seems pretty clear its not going to be any more detailed, and it clearly states PC only.

the 3d topo did look pretty cool, but still ng would seem to not have any software that does treet level maping like i wanted. ill continue to look for something better that suits my needs. id like to check out route 66..

I recently purchased National Geographic's Topo! for my Mac. I've had a couple of program crashes, but otherwise it seems to run pretty stable.

1:25,000 scale maps. I'm awaiting my USB/Serial Adapter, so I've yet to try it with my GPS.

I found it for $69 + shipping, online.

EDIT: Recieved my Keyspan USB adapter last evening. Works perfectly with my Garmin Foretrex 101. I can up/download waypoints, track movement on the map, ect perfectly.

Edited by Crystal Sound
i was looking at the backroads explorer which looked like it would be the next step up in map detail, but after looking at the screen shot on ng's site and reading the comparison, it seems pretty clear its not going to be any more detailed, and it clearly states PC only.

hmm, well this page says it works with Mac OS 9 & X, I think other sections of their site haven't been updated.

Here it says the advantages of the BRE over the GPS USA are "GDT Roads & streets" and shaded relief toggling... plus some trail exchange capability. hm...

hmm, well this page says it works with Mac OS 9 & X, I think other sections of their site haven't been updated.

Here it says the advantages of the BRE over the GPS USA are "GDT Roads & streets" and shaded relief toggling... plus some trail exchange capability. hm...

check out This Link for an example of the GDT roads added, its nothing real big. its a few extra lines, not detailed street maps.

and yes there seems to be conflicting information on the ng website, even this link which shows a comparison lists at the bottom that back roads explorer is pc only. i just dont know...

check out This Link for an example of the GDT roads added, its nothing real big. its a few extra lines, not detailed street maps.

I haven't used Backroads Explorer and it's hard to tell how detailed the street data might be from the picture shown at that link since it doesn't show a close zoom of an urban area, but GDT does have pretty detailed street mapping in their database.

GDT's the company that DeLorme was using for a few versions of the Steet Atlas product (I think releases 8 and 9). AIRC, the quality was slightly less than NavTeq maps, but they did have detail down to small residential streets.

I too am using a Mac with my Garmin 60CS.

I've uploaded waypoints and would like to have maps as well.

The most important is good detailed maps. I'd like the backroads for hunting, hiking, fishing, etc. Is the Garmin Mapsouce TOPO good? What is the difference between that and the TOPO west, more detail? I figure if it doesn't work in VPC, I'll just use a friends PC to get it uploaded.

So what's the best map?

thanks,

DT

Nickelcacher

Nickelcacher

Are you using the Hike Tech Software or Cables??? I want to make sure I touch base with someone that is actually using it not recommending it.

Thanks

I dunno about nickelcacher, but I use hike tech software, i use both link2gps and gpswrite and they work awesome!! i have a keyspan serial adaptor i use with it, same one they recomend.

this works great for waypoints and such.

Nickelcacher

Nickelcacher

Are you using the Hike Tech Software or Cables??? I want to make sure I touch base with someone that is actually using it not recommending it.

Thanks

I dunno about nickelcacher, but I use hike tech software, i use both link2gps and gpswrite and they work awesome!! i have a keyspan serial adaptor i use with it, same one they recomend.

this works great for waypoints and such.

From what I read, I can use Hike Tech Software for managing waypoints & tracks on my Mac (Dual 867 G4 running OS X3.7).

Under this configuration, can I also run VPC with city select to download the map on my mac and then transfer to the 60cs under VPC? Or, does the HikeTech software also take away the need for VPC? (I understand the keyspan adapter is ideal)

Appreciate your feedback!