Bi-coastal Multi Cache?

Beefcider

I have a nephew that's in Georgia and I'm in Washington - we were thinking about putting together a bi-coastal multi cache with the third waypoint in Nebraska. You'd have to do both caches to find the coords for the one in Nebraska. My question is would this be something that the moderators would approve?

I have a Moun10bike geocoin to place and thought this would be an excellent way to do it. :huh:

Ya might get 1 or 2 finders in the next three years.

Odds are the cache would go missing before the first person found it.

Still, I may attempt something like it on another listing site. It has been on my mind since I started geocaching.

I personally wouldn't bother doing it here. Too many people whine about caches that they can't log as it is. No doubt the folks that live near where you list the starting coords will have that puppy archived in a week or less. :huh: Save yourself the effort.

We have a cacher in Nebraska or Kansas city who would watch over the third one, but the thing is, if I understand it right - the third waypoint would be unknown until the ones in Georgia and Washington were found, so no approval would be needed. If it was found once in 10 years I'd be happy. I just like the concept of something more than a drive up ammo can cache, too many of which I'm starting to see.

Not sure why someone would try and archive a cache just because they can't go to two other states. If that's the case, I'd about be done with gc.com. Can they really do that? I thought a cache was archived because of risks or violations concerning placement and so on.

Not sure why someone would try and archive a cache just because they can't go to two other states. If that's the case, I'd about be done with gc.com. Can they really do that? I thought a cache was archived because of risks or violations concerning placement and so on.

In short, Yes. Not the same as your idea, but the principle is the same.

Click on the cache in question and see gpsfun's approver note at the bottom.

BTW- I'm not agreeing with the cache hider on that thread. Just using the concept to make my point.

but the thing is, if I understand it right - the third waypoint would be unknown until the ones in Georgia and Washington were found, so no approval would be needed

If its a multi cache you need to supply the coordinates of all stages when submitting it. The admin will want to know who is going to maintain EACH stage, so you will need someone at all three sites. Perhaps you can have the first stage by you, the second in Georgia and the third someplace else in Washington if recruiting someone in Nebraska is difficult.

I don't see how the two equate. I can't imagine any local asking to have a multi cache archived because of the distance between legs. The cache you refer to that caused an uproar is a totally different animal. Can the locals ask to have a cache archived? Sure. I've done it myself. But there has to be a good reason.

Edited by briansnat

I don't see how the two equate. I can't imagine any local asking to have a multi cache archived because of the distance between legs. The cache you refer to that caused an uproar is a totally different animal

I disagree. The personal stuff going on about that cache aside, the ISSUE is with people not being able log a cache posted near them. The fact that they CAN'T clear a given page seems to annoy some people to no end. I see this being the case here too. See what gpsfun had to say on the cache page.......

I love the idea of a long distance multi! I wish this sport had been invented a few years back when I was traveling around the country in a motorhome.

I hope that the admins of GC.com would not allow the sheer pettiness of a few short-sighted "locals" who choke at the thought of not being able to clear a cache located in "their" teritory to spoil the fun for those who have the creativity to plant, and the freedom to travel necessary for finding long distance caches.

But if that happens I think you just need to wait maybe a year or so. This thing is taking off. It won't be long before corporate entities get into it. (Garmin? Magellan? Coleman? Travel Channel?) At that time you can be sure there will be ideas explored that we haven't even thought of.

In the meantime, I'd love to see you go ahead and try to set this up.

Off topic: This reminds me of a science fiction story about humans who were caretakers for teleportation stations set up by aliens. :rolleyes:

Bi-coastal? Heck! Wait til we have INTREPLANATARY Geocaching!

Great idea!

As long as the caches are maintained, I think it would be great to have something that gets the more adventurous folks out travelling.

As for the whole SBA by locals -- if a cache gets an SBA, doesn't GC.com contact the owner? If this is the case, you could just reply and say "nope. the cache is still there - thanks"

The worst case scenario is if the locals destroy the cache intentionally in order to get it out of their system -- which I think would be both rare and a little wierd. If something like that happened to me, I'd create a 5/5 that they'd never get to! Let it live on their page forever!

OK -

having the coords for a final waypoint of a multi approved is new to me. I've been out of caching for a year or so. I'm taking a road trip to Kansas City and have some friends there who would maintain the cache but I like the idea of it being in a more rural area.

SeventhSon - you're right in the area I had in mind for the third waypoint, let me know if you're interested in placing and maintaining the final cache. I already have someone on Georgia.

You will need a person to maintain each waypoint and all points will have to meet the guidelines. I would think you could just write to a reviewer in one of the states and he or she could double check that the stages in other states are OK.

In Nebraska you might try contacting cachers in the Hastings/Kearney area. That is pretty rural but is a very active caching area. I would be willing to help in the Lincoln area if needed although I would prefer not to so that I could aim to find the cache!

I think there is a big difference between a cache where there is NO way to log it, and one where only a VERY select few could log it.

I imagine you might get people collaborating across country though to solve the multi so they can get their local 'leg' of the cache. In fact, you might consider encouraging it. Fun way to meet new cachers. Just put 'rules' on who you may share the data with (like can share only once, or maybe can only share with someone who specifically sent you to the cache to get the info).

Yes, I am interested. My approver is *gln if you want to contact him about a specific location. As stated, the final location does have to follow the 528 rule as with any cache.

If you would like to email me with details of placement and such that is kewl.

**After rereading your last post, my brain finally kicked in. If you are wanting me to decide on final location, that's good, too. I have every cache in Kansas mapped, with the exception of multi's and puzzle's I haven't found, so placing will be no problem.

Edited by SeventhSon

OK - it seems some of the rules have changed, and the approval of the final way point is a good one because it had created problems in the past.

My original idea is that you'd have to log both coastal caches before you could log the central one - no information sharing allowed between cachers because that defeats the purpose. If it never gets logged, then so be it. The idea is that you have to find both the WA and GA caches before you get the coords for the NE/KS one. It's meant to be difficult, and to differ from other multicaches.

Ideally it would be out in the middle of nowhere like Purdum, NE - which is a perfcet location. nothing like a crossroads of cornfields and it's just north of the NE national forest.

OK - it seems some of the rules have changed, and the approval of the final way point is a good one because it had created problems in the past.

My original idea is that you'd have to log both coastal caches before you could log the central one - no information sharing allowed between cachers because that defeats the purpose. If it never gets logged, then so be it. The idea is that you have to find both the WA and GA caches before you get the coords for the NE/KS one. It's meant to be difficult, and to differ from other multicaches.

Ideally it would be out in the middle of nowhere like Purdum, NE - which is a perfcet location. nothing like a crossroads of cornfields and it's just north of the NE national forest.

Get local cachers to maintain each stage and list them on the cache page. Then I think it should be OK.

The area near NE National forest is quite nice. If you are looking out there, I suggest contacting Starbrand. He is closer to that area and would maybe help with maintenance. If not and if you are willing to go more close to Hastings, Still Searching who posted here is a quality choice for that.

Edited by carleenp