Quality Used Gpsrs?

Voncachstein

Two of my friends have GPSrs and so whenever i want to go i have to ask them if they want to go first, otherwise its a no-go. Also, there are some they found before i started and getting them to go to those is a hassle. I don't have lots of dough to spend and i was wondering where i could get a used GPS that is still good and if used GPSs tend to start deteriorating over age.

Also, not sure if i could ask or not, but does anyone have one they want to sell/ give away to a new and enthusiastic ;) geocacher?

well if it helps at all, all i want is a reliable GPS that doesn't need anything special except that 1)its somewhat accurate 2) I can enter coordinates 3) i can save coordinates of locations (doesn't matter how little as long as minimum is like 10) 4)it can tell me which direction to go and have an accurate compass thingy

well if it helps at all, all i want is a reliable GPS that doesn't need anything special except that 1)its somewhat accurate 2) I can enter coordinates 3) i can save coordinates of locations (doesn't matter how little as long as minimum is like 10) 4)it can tell me which direction to go and have an accurate compass thingy

The Gecko 101 can do all that and its nice, compact device. For even semi serious geocachers though, the lack of a data port is an issue, but if you're just looking to try out the sport and not spend a lot of money its a bargain at under $50. You can always use it as a backup should you decide to upgrade.

Edited by briansnat

I agree that you should be able to find a unit for $50 or less. As others have noted you might wish to upgrade later, but name a piece of technology for which this isn't true.

All you need is a unit that can get you to within searching distance of the coordinates. If I hadn't given my Magellan 315 to a friend for use on his boat I would have sold it to you for the cost of shipping.

Here is one for just over $50 currently being auctioned at ebay for the next 19 hours.

Not saying you should buy this, just pointing out that $50 is about all you should have to spend for a geocaching quality GPS to get started.

As with anything else, you have to be careful of what you buy used. If the GPS is not abused badly, there is no reason a used one won't work fine and won't last quite a while. As far as the Magellan 315 that was mentioned, it is a good solid GPS. I have been using one for nearly four years now, and it works just fine...like any other GPS it eats batteries like mad, so you just have to keep plenty of spares handy. Good luck.

thats the only problem so far --what GPS's are good and which are outdated? -- like is that magellan new and a good buy? i can't really tell

also, i appreaciate all the help so far, thanks a lot

The Magellan 315 is an older unit, that is one reason it can be had for around $50 if you look hard enough.

It isn't WAAS enabled though so you can't expect the same degree of positional accuracy as a WAAS enabled unit. It also isn't a mapping unit. There is no memory card etc. It is a very basic, no frills unit.

However, lots of people still use them and the only reason I got rid of mine and went with a newer unit was that I wanted the auto routing functionality the Meridian color offers.

For caching most people will just use the navigation screen that has the arrow pointing in a direction with the distance to the objective. Once you get to within a short distance from the cache you just have to start searching. The 315 does this just as well as any other unit on the market with the exception of lacking WAAS capability.

I think $75-$100 is the normal retail price for them so $50-$60 on ebay is a good value, but you should check retail pricing first as it has been awhile since I looked into it.

One of the biggest downfalls to purchasing an older GPS would be that the memory battery inside has a life expectancy of approx 10 years or so. If you pick up an older unit and the battery craps out, you may need to send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement, which could set you back more than you paid to begin with. Just something to keep in mind...

Kar

Yes, i got the pm and im thankful for the offer but I'm going to check out my options first. Why pay for it to come all the way across the continental US if i won't need it? I'm thinking i might go with the Geko. Since i am getting into this ill need one that will last a while anyway,a nd it takes less batteries and lasts longer. So thanks to Briancm for the offer, but i will still have to do some more researching, thanks!

Our first unit was a Geko 101. Here's how it stacks up to your selection criteria:

I don't have a lot of dough to spend

The Geko 101 would be about the cheapest new unit you could get. You might be able to buy a less expensive one used, but you'd be taking your chances.

The Geko is also one of the least expensive to run, battery-life-wise.

well if it helps at all, all i want is a reliable GPS that doesn't need anything special...

The Geko would be reliable. And since it has no data port, it definitely doesn't need anything special -- there's no download cable to buy, no mapping software to select, etc.

1)its somewhat accurate...

It is as accurate as the other models we have since upgraded to, without the bells and whistles. It will get you to a cache location as well as the etrex Legend will.

2) I can enter coordinates...

Yes, you can. You will have to do it manually. It takes a little bit longer to enter the coordinates into a Geko than it does with an eTrex, since the letters and numbers are in one long scrolling list rather than in a block layout. But it's not a huge difference.

3) i can save coordinates of locations (doesn't matter how little as long as minimum is like 10)...

Yes, you can. There's a "mark waypoint" function. You can save a lot more than 10 of them.

4)it can tell me which direction to go and have an accurate compass thingy...

It depends what you mean by "accurate". It doesn't have an internal compass. It can tell you which direction to go, as long as you are moving at at least a regular walking pace. If you stop moving, and then turn, the arrow won't turn with you immediately. You'll have to take a few steps for it to realize that you have turned around. This is the case with all models without an internal compass (and those tend to be pretty expensive), so it's not like it's a defect or anything.

alright thanks welch and also hermit crabs for your great help. I'll probably get the Geko.

WARNING: Digression from topic!

But I'm sad to say, the area i live in is very scenic and such, but if i find about 15 or so more (it'll be like 30 finds for me) I'll have to start travelling at least like half an hour to do caches.... some of you avid geocachers should come to NEPA and start up some more caches in the mountains......there lots of them :huh:

It isn't WAAS enabled though so you can't expect the same degree of positional accuracy as a WAAS enabled unit. It also isn't a mapping unit. There is no memory card etc. It is a very basic, no frills unit.[...]The 315 does this just as well as any other unit on the market with the exception of lacking WAAS capability.

My GPSMap60CS has WAAS but I turn it off. So if it doesn't come with WAAS, it's not a reason to avoid the GPS. :huh:

2 cents worth and that's it. Just got the geko 101 from outpost.com for my son. It was about 57 bucks with s/h. It is all manual input but accuracy wise, just as good as my Magellan Sporttrak Map that was about 150 bucks more. The geko is waterproof and he is outlasting me on battery life. No connectivity but for $50 it is a very nice unit.

thats the only problem so far --what GPS's are good and which are outdated? -- like is that magellan new and a good buy? i can't really tell

also, i appreaciate all the help so far, thanks a lot

you may not care anymore but:

new (as of 4 years ago and beyond) one will be 12 (or more in some cases) channel parellel receivers. Older ones are fewer channel serial ones, like 8 channels. They will work, but are slower to update location and more prone to losing reception.

new ones will go out to three decimal places in decmin format. Older ones, like the 310 and older maggies only go to two decimals. You can use them that way but you'll end up searching a much bigger area. I think you might also be able to use UTM and get a little better, of course you'll have to make sure to use converted coords.

those are the two things I would look to avoid when buying a gps. you can still use such units of course, but it can be more difficult, and its not hard to find a 'new' style unit.

Garmin's website lists their obsolete models. Not sure if Magellans does that as well. One thing I do know is that the Magellan Trailblazer XL that was offered to you earlier in the thread is an outdated unit. I wouldn't spend much more than a few bucks for that one,

Edited by briansnat

The Trailblazer XL was my very first GPS and it was given to me by a friend as well. Geocaching was not around back then or I would have tried using it.

Also, back then it was a fairly new model, but I simply had no use for it. It sat in my closet for a couple years and I ended up selling it on eBay.

Glad to see that you picked up the Geko, hope it brings you to many rewarding caches!

P.S. DaveA, the 315 is still a popular unit. Up until Garmin and Magellan recently started releasing tons of new GPSrs models, MANY geocachers were using them. I bet there are still a ton in use every day guiding folks to cache after cache.

Kar

The Geko would be reliable. And since it has no data port, it definitely doesn't need anything special -- there's no download cable to buy, no mapping software to select, etc.

It is as accurate as the other models we have since upgraded to, without the bells and whistles. It will get you to a cache location as well as the etrex Legend will.

I got a Geko 201 for Christmas and was pleased as punch. After a late gift card came in the mail, I was able to return it and upgrade to a Legend. All I wanted was the mapping ability and had to sacrifice size to get it.

I really liked the Geko's miniscule size(I was afraid of misplacing it). I go backpacking occasionally and you'd be surprised at how many ways you try to shave weight off a 65lb pack. I may even get a Geko 201 again in the future to compliment my Legend and whatever else I may have(Vista-C?). BTW, get some high capacity nickel metal hydride rechargeable AAAs for that Geko and it'll be a decent setup.

P.S. DaveA, the 315 is still a popular unit. Up until Garmin and Magellan recently started releasing tons of new GPSrs models, MANY geocachers were using them. I bet there are still a ton in use every day guiding folks to cache after cache.

Kar

No doubt. It was my first unit and I only replaced it because i wanted auto routing. In no way am I badmouthing the 315, it is just that with the Geko 101 you get a comparable unit, a fresh internal battery and WAAS. The 315 does have a data port if one wishes to buy the cable though.

One annoying thing about the 315 is that unless one buys one with the latest firmware on it (I suspect most new in box units have that) you need the cable to get the latest firmware otherwise you have to move at 2mph or greater or the unit goes into averaging mode. That was annoying.