Thinking Of "downgrading" 76cs For 60cs

royta

I handled the 60CS at REI this evening. I like it's smaller size much better than my 76CS. 58MB is plenty for both US Topo and CS6 in Southern California. If I go on bigger trips, I'll have my laptop with me anyway. I can just change out maps at that time.

Can anybody think of any reasons why I should keep the 76CS over the 60CS? Is there a chance that Garmin might be releasing the 60CS with more memory in the near future? I'd hate to switch now, only to find out I could have had the extra memory.

Floating is no big deal to me. I just won't hang it over the edge of the water. ;)

Neo_Geo - Does anybody know what exactly is better between the two basemaps? 5MB of extra basemap features is quite a bit; what are they? I think I remember hearing that the extra features of the 76C/CS basemap are water (ocean) related. I'm not talking about the Marine Points Tide Station. That can always be loaded onto the 60C/CS.

Thanks.

Well, I looked at the difference between the two basemaps. Obviously, with 5MB of more information, the 76CS has more detailed information. However, this is easily taken care of by loading the maps of the area you are visiting. Then there is no need for the basemap.

jotne- you slipped in there and said exactly what I was going to say. If you do a product comparison at the Garmin site between the 76CS and 60CS, you will see they both have serial interface.

I can't say for sure - I dunno. It could be something like including exit ramps and or some secondary roads. This would be a problem if you were gonna drive halfway across the country or farther. It could be overcome by bringing a laptop computer with you.

I'm pretty confident that if my 60C's memory will be maxxed out on a route, I'm gonna be flying there!

The Garmin website explains the differences between the 60CS' Americas Recreational Routable Basemap v2, and the 76CS' Americas Routable Basemap.

The 60CS extends to the 75th parallel, where the 76CS only extends to the 72nd. Under standard map features, the 76CS has railroads, where the 60CS does not. Under United States, there is a considerable difference between the two. There is no Alaska on the 60CS, or perhaps it is just fit into the United States section. Under Canada, the 60CS is actually better because it has a higher parallel coverage. Mexico coverage is the same. I understand that I can load the Tide Maps in my 60CS on my own.

Floating is no big deal to me.  I just won't hang it over the edge of the water.  ;)

Neo_Geo - Does anybody know what exactly is better between the two basemaps?  5MB of extra basemap features is quite a bit; what are they?  I think I remember hearing that the extra features of the 76C/CS basemap are water (ocean) related.  I'm not talking about the Marine Points Tide Station.  That can always be loaded onto the 60C/CS.

Thanks.

There is a comparison of the basemaps here (although they are European). Posted by Jotne, in fact.

Anyone have a 76CS that they can post a couple of US basemap screen shot from? Based upon the Garmin site discription, I would like to see an area with railroads and some state roads to compare the two. I'll be glad to post side-by-side pics on http://home.houston.rr.com/gpsr/#Maps

Edited by Sputnik 57

I hate the 60C NA basemap. its practically useless, except for the interstates, even alot of major hwys are not on it. Nonetheless the ability to have detailed maps in cities and routing on the basemap as well makes the 60c's as good if not better than the magellans on long trips.

The 60CS extends to the 75th parallel, where the 76CS only extends to the 72nd. Under standard map features, the 76CS has railroads, where the 60CS does not. Under United States, there is a considerable difference between the two. There is no Alaska on the 60CS, or perhaps it is just fit into the United States section. Under Canada, the 60CS is actually better because it has a higher parallel coverage. Mexico coverage is the same. I understand that I can load the Tide Maps in my 60CS on my own.

I'm in Alaska and I my 60cs came with Alaska included in the base map. I have since loaded more detailed maps from the MapSource United States Topo software.

My first GPS was a Garmin 45 which I still have. No good at all in the forest. That was when I started geocaching I got the MAP 330. Both of these units are relatively small. Then I got the 76S and the size never bothered me so I got the 76C. Only advantage I can see for me would be that I can wedge the 76S and the 76C between the windshield and the dash on my Landcrusher. I cache with a friend who has the 60C and I don't see any advantage to one over the other as far as geocaching goes. Certainly not enough for me to change from one to the other. But if the size bugs you than get what you would be comfortable with. Dick, W7WT

I hate the 60C NA basemap. its practically useless, except for the interstates, even alot of major hwys are not on it. Nonetheless the ability to have detailed maps in cities and routing on the basemap as well makes the 60c's as good if not better than the magellans on long trips.

I agree 100%. It's the only thing about the 60 series that bothers me. I guess I can't complain since it came with tidal perdictions and wasn't supposed to. I rather have tides than a better base map.

The 60CS floats, just not as well as the 76. If you use Lithium batteries it floats better.

That moves you back to the only major difference bering memory. I'm not sure of the 76 has a geocaching mode or not. And I'm fairly sure the 76 has some gizmo or feature that most people don't use that the 60 doesn't. But for the most part you won't miss anything but the memory.

I'm not sure of the 76 has a geocaching mode or not. And I'm fairly sure the 76 has some gizmo or feature that most people don't use that the 60 doesn't.

Yes, they both have the geocaching mode feature. You may be thinking of the tide data that's included in the 76, but that's available as a free download so you can load it into the 60 models as well. I think all the real differences have been covered:

memory

basemap

shape/size/button placement

the 60CS floats? Not according to the documentation on Garmin's website. Do you know this from personal experience? This is the only sacrafice I made when I chose the 60 over the 76. Would be nice to know I don't have to worry about this on the boat.

KF

the 60CS floats? Not according to the documentation on Garmin's website. Do you know this from personal experience? This is the only sacrafice I made when I chose the 60 over the 76. Would be nice to know I don't have to worry about this on the boat.

KF

I've seen some pics of a 60CS in a kitchen sink. I would say "neutral buoyancy" at best. Maybe better with lithium batteries, per the venerable RK.

I own a 76CS and a 60CS and have found around 1000 caches with the use of the two units. The car holder for the 76CS works far (!) better ;) than the one for the 60CS. The (slightly) bigger 76CS easily slips out and into the holder with one hand; for the 60CS you always need both hands and it means fumbling.

So most times I use the 76CS as the unit to leave the car for the last meters to the cache (compass-mode).

In the woods, reception of the 60CS is slightly (!) better than the 76CS, so when it is heavy weather and I am deep in the woods, I used the 60CS as my first choice.

A few days ago, I had to decide which unit to sell, as a Quest :o made it's way in my car. The 60CS will have to leave, because the ease of use of the 76CS in the car is what makes the race for me.

Thanks GeoPirat. I actually found the 76CS difficult to slide in and slide out of the holder. This is with the 12V cord plugged in though. The lanyard always got in the way, and I always had to use two hands.

I decided to go with the 60CS. No, the 76CS is not much bigger, and yes, it does have more memory. But I decided to draw a line, and the 60CS is on this side of the line. I will fax Garmin a receipt showing the exchange of the two units, and they (Garmin) will issue me a new unlock code certificate. This way, I will still have my second unlock available for a second unit.

I will fax Garmin a receipt showing the exchange of the two units, and they (Garmin) will issue me a new unlock code certificate. This way, I will still have my second unlock available for a second unit.

Hmmmmm... That's something I didn't consider. It'll be VERY interesting to see if Garmin will do that. Have you contacted them to verify that they'll do that?

Anyone have a 76CS that they can post a couple of US basemap screen shot from?

Give me the coords you want to see the basemap for - I'll upload some screenshots.

Ok, FB, let's get as close as we can to N 29° 46.515 W096° 10.171 (just outside of beautiful Sealy, Texas of mattress fame). Three images at 2 mi, .8 mi, and .3 mi. Thanks for the offer! Here are the basemap images from the 60C:

2 miles:

99979ccb-a894-4668-a09d-63aa9bc8a21c.jpg

.8 miles:

d03c8487-49e0-4cbd-8ea6-2527d27ca9ad.jpg

.3 miles:

d9b52a69-e06d-41a7-9119-74d6376f3cb0.jpg

For comparison, the Topo map at .8 miles:

3083aad8-92a2-4719-82e3-8ad442e94e92.jpg[

Edited by Sputnik 57
Ok, FB, let's get as close as we can to N 29° 46.515 W096° 10.171 (just outside of beautiful Sealy, Texas of mattress fame).  Three images at 2 mi, .8 mi, and .3 mi.  Thanks for the offer!  Here are the basemap images from the 60C:

I posted the photos side-by-side at http://www.midiresource.com/geocaching/basemap/.

So in summary, then, both base maps are worthless. The 76CS basemap throws in the Brazos river, state highway 36, and the railroad track, so it is slightly less worthless.

The comparison of Topo and City Select in the last image set implies that Topo shows more roads, but only at that zoom level. City Select tends to keep the screen uncluttered until you zoom in further, and actually show more roads and road names.

I will fax Garmin a receipt showing the exchange of the two units, and they (Garmin) will issue me a new unlock code certificate.  This way, I will still have my second unlock available for a second unit.

Hmmmmm... That's something I didn't consider. It'll be VERY interesting to see if Garmin will do that. Have you contacted them to verify that they'll do that?

That's what I said I was going to do didn't I? If I didn't know for sure, I would have preceded my comment with, "I'm hoping that I can...". :D

Name withheld to protect the innocent at GPSDiscount.com told me to contact Garmin and explain my situation. Name withheld to protect the innocent at Garmin told me me to fax them the receipt showing that one item was exchanged for another item, and they would then issue a new certificate.

Edited by royta
I'm not sure of the 76 has a geocaching mode or not.  And I'm fairly sure the 76 has some gizmo or feature that most people don't use that the 60 doesn't.

Yes, they both have the geocaching mode feature.

I've been trying to get my 76CS to operate in the Geocaching mode for a while now. I have followed the instructions in the manual, but the compass page does not display the geocaching information /buttons as shown in the pictures on page 37 of the manual.

Are there more steps that I need to perform to get this function to work?

Is there a firmware upgrade that I need to perform?

Currently I edit my found Geocaches manually, and appear to have no log of them in the calendar, even though the "log in calendar" preference is selected

Help :anibad:

Kelt

Two things you need for the properties of your cache waypoints:

1. You need to assign the "Geocache" icon (the closed threasure chest) to your geocache waypoints.

2. After you press "Go To", select "Off Road". It will not work if "Follow Road" is selected.

If you want to autoroute your way to the cache location, go ahead and "Follow Road". When you get out of the car, go to the Map page and press the "Menu" button and select "Recalculate" - then select "Off Road".

Thanks for the information, I'll try that today.

My geocaches are already marked with the threasure chest, but I saw nothing in tha manual that indicated the "off road" selection was necessary to operate in geocaching mode. It makes sense though.

Kelt :lol: