Archive Or Disable Cache?

unique

We've had to remove one of our caches due to rising water. When we archived it, it was removed from the list of caches instead of just having a line drawn through it. We chose Archive (show it). Was this not the correct way to do it? We would like it to stay on the list of area caches and will be placing it back within a few days, as the weather dictates. Sorry if this is addressed somewhere else, as we may not be understanding the terminology in the directions. Thanks for your help. :)

You should've used the "Click to temporarily disable" located under the cache title. That puts the dark line through it you expected to see. Click, disabled. Click again, enabled.

Now that it is archived, you need to contact your approver. The approver's name will be at the bottom of the cache page. Inform the approver of your mistake. Once it is replaced you can enable it again.

I guess KA must be pretty busy with new caches, because we've not gotten any answer to our emails. The water's receeded and we'd like to put the cache back. Still not sure exactly what we did incorrectly, but am guessing that we should have just disabled it instead of archiving it. Getting it unacchived looks like it could be a real problem. Actually, the cache was probably never really in harms way, but as new cachers, I guess we panicked.

Still not sure exactly what we did incorrectly, but am guessing that we should have just disabled it instead of archiving it.  Actually, the cache was probably never really in harms way, but as new cachers, I guess we panicked.

That happens!

If you explained your error on archiving vs disable, there should be no problem.

I guess KA must be pretty busy with new caches, because we've not gotten any answer to our emails.

Just give them (KA) some time to work on it, they are very understanding. :D

Happy Caching

SF1

Hello,

From December 31st until just now, I've been out of town for a New Years' celebration with friends... including lots of geocaching. I also spent a lot of time worrying about the whereabouts of my friend SBUX, and talking to others about this.

While I was away, more than 50 new caches were submitted in my review territory. I still have 21 to deal with, and one of the other reviewers is helping me out. I also have more than 100 e-mails to read and react to, including yours.

I will get to your request in due course. Thanks for your patience.

I guess KA must be pretty busy with new caches, because we've not gotten any answer to our emails. The water's receeded and we'd like to put the cache back. Still not sure exactly what we did incorrectly, but am guessing that we should have just disabled it instead of archiving it. Getting it unacchived looks like it could be a real problem. Actually, the cache was probably never really in harms way, but as new cachers, I guess we panicked.

Did you include the waypoint ID of the cache, or the URL of the cache page?

Yes, we did include all the information for the cache. I see that KA has answered my concern on here. Glad that he took some time off to enjoy the game that we all love. It seems that the group that keep this site going must spend an awful lot of their time working on the computer.

KA - thanks for your answer. We'll check out the cache site tomorrow, etc. Sure that the ones with the new caches are just as anxious to see their's online.

:D

I have unarchived this cache, less than 48 hours after its owner mistakenly archived it. I also took care of three similar pending requests to unarchive caches. That's a typical week.

The volunteer reviewers have asked Jeremy to consider changing the look, feel and text for the way that caches are archived vs. disabled. Lots of folks mix up the two concepts. Caches are permanently removed, but never archived -- just disabled. Caches are sometimes disabled with no explanation because only a click of a link is needed -- a log should be added to explain the problem. And perhaps the language that pops up when an owner goes to archive a cache ought to be beefed up a bit:

You are about to archive this cache.  This is meant to be permanent and can only be reversed by a site administrator.  If you only need to take your cache offline for a short time due to maintenance needs or similar concerns, choose the "temporarily disable this cache" option.

If you do wish to archive this cache, click on the "yes" button to continue.

Keystone Approver, Thanks for taking care of this for us. We really do think the wording was confusing when we were trying to decided if we should be disabling or archiving. Guess we had to learn the hard way, but it will no doubt be a lesson learned. We'll try to not have to bother you with this trivial stuff (or dumb moves on our parts) again so you can handle the more important stuff.

I was also glad to see that you took some time off to do some geocaching. I just couldn't imagine why it always said 0 caches after your "name".

Thanks again,

Unique :(

I was also glad to see that you took some time off to do some geocaching. I just couldn't imagine why it always said 0 caches after your "name".

Many of the reviewers use a separate account for reviewing caches. So those accounts have 0 hides and 0 finds. Their caching accounts will look much different. :(

I'm limited on the text you can add for confirmation notices, so I reduced it to:

This can only be reversed by a site administrator. Use the "temporarily disable this cache" option if you only need to take your cache offline for a short time. If you still wish to archive this cache, click on the "yes" button to continue.

It will show up within the next 12 hours.

I'm limited on the text you can add for confirmation notices, so I reduced it to:

This can only be reversed by a site administrator. Use the "temporarily disable this cache" option if you only need to take your cache offline for a short time. If you still wish to archive this cache, click on the "yes" button to continue.

It will show up within the next 12 hours.

Another reason people get them confused is they don't see the link for

'Temporarily Disable'. Yea, I know it's obvious... if you already know

where it is.

Most of the other actions dealing with caches are in the upper right of the cache page. I vaguely remember hearing somebody mention that "Temporarily Disabled" might be changed to a log-type. I'm not sure if this is the case. That would require 2 new logtypes actually: Disable and Enable.

I'm not sure if that's in the works or if you even want to get into that...

But how about you move the link to "Temporarily Disable" from here:

cc51e57f-3fe3-4e9a-8a5a-5b0a30e4c31d.jpg

to the upper right of the page... over here:

6ecb91f0-994d-4d4f-ad3a-d24e255ff677.jpg

I'd suggest adding it between "Upload Images" and "Archive this cache".

southdeltan

Another reason people get them confused is they don't see the link for 'Temporarily Disable'. Yea, I know it's obvious... if you already know where it is.

Most of the other actions dealing with caches are in the upper right of the cache page. I vaguely remember hearing somebody mention that "Temporarily Disabled" might be changed to a log-type. I'm not sure if this is the case. That would require 2 new logtypes actually: Disable and Enable.

I'm not sure if that's in the works or if you even want to get into that...

But how about you move the link to "Temporarily Disable" from here:

cc51e57f-3fe3-4e9a-8a5a-5b0a30e4c31d.jpg

to the upper right of the page... over here:

6ecb91f0-994d-4d4f-ad3a-d24e255ff677.jpg

I'd suggest adding it between "Upload Images" and "Archive this cache".

southdeltan

-bump-

Not even a - no?

:blink:

sd