Rating A New Cache

Bob and Kath

We've dropped a couple of caches, are new cachers. Someone emailed me and said that our cache shouldn't be rated a 1 for terrain since it wasn't wheelchair accessible. You have to go up a small incline in bark chips to get to it, no more than 10 feet off a paved trail. Frankly, the only true wheelchair accessible caches we have found have been pavement only. We've rated our caches terrain-wise in terms of how far off the trail, pretty much. And if there's just grass to walk on, we figure that's not a problem. I'd like to hear what other cachers think. Our caches are in Illinois, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

I've done a mere 4 caches so far (Hey, there's bugger all in my area, gimmie a break), 3 were rated 1/1. Only 1 of those 3 would be wheelchair accessable.

Is the person who complained someone who is in a wheelchair? I've never tried to use a wheelchair, so I don't know for sure, but a Small incline in bark chips doesn't sound like it would pose much of a problem to someone familiar with their chair....

Edited by ThePup

I do not believe all 1-1 caches are wheelchair accessible, and I think it should be specifically noted if they are. Then there are those who will attempt harder caches even in a chair. I would assume anything rated above a 2 would likely have some "barrier" for chairs and other physical problems. My Dad's near 80, and he won't plan on going above a 2 usually.

Here are the definitions:.

Difficulty rating:

* Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

**** Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Terrain rating:

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.)

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

It says that 1 star terrain should be "handicap acessible". While it doesn't specify wheelchair accessibility, I think most people would agree that wheelchair accessibility is the minimum reqirement for for something to be handicap accessible. Handicap accessible facilities don't have pictures of crutches, or oxygen tanks on the doors.

Edited by briansnat

Every cache I goto I think about access for handicapped. I have a brother who is in a wheelchair. if he was 1400 miles close would love to take him with me.

But yes. a 1 should be wheelchair accessible. which also means the cache itself should be placed so that a handicapped person could retrieve it.

I have been to 1/1's that would not qualify. I am currently in a foot cast and still try and do em. Another two weeks and gonna hopefully get rid of this anchor.

if it's supposed to be wheelchair accessible, does that mean someone should be able to reach from their wheelchair and grab the cache?

I think the answer is yes. I also think this single requirement prevents almost all caches from being rated 1 for terrain. I can't remember the exact numbers but to be reachable from a wheelchair it has to something like at least a foot off the ground and no higher than five feet.

Edited by Thot

This is from handicaching.com hope this helps.

The typical cache rating allows for one to five stars for terrain. It is suggested by the Geocache Rating System that one star is used for caches that are wheelchair accessible. This idea is flawed in several ways and this site aims to address those flaws. Flaws of this system include:

* The rating system or the wheelchair aspect of the system is often overlooked by cache hiders, who can rate the terrain for caches higher or lower than they actually are

* A cache that may be wheelchair accessible may not be accessible to people with other types of handicaps, or even people who cannot use a wheelchair for anything other than short distances

* Many non-handicapped people are unsure of what constitutes handicap accessible and are therefore unable to rate or mark a cache accordingly

Attempting to rely on the fact that a one star cache should be handicap accessibile to some degree often turns into dissapointment for many handicapped geocachers. With your help we aim to improve this situation by providing specific handicap accessibility information for caches. We aim to:

* Provide a set of handicap accessible cache hiding guidelines that can help to plan and hide a more accessible cache

* Provide a rating system that generates additional information for each cache, along with averaging to eliminate inaccurate rating

* Provide tools for handicapped geocachers to help locate caches near them that they might be able to do and how to plan for the trip.

Click Here for more info from handicaching.com

Edited by IMLost