Emoticons

markandlynn

When i use the emoticons i have certain things in mind like only joking ;)

Or i hate your caches cause they are hard :lol: but fun or i am stealthily avoiding the subject :lol: or i am puzzled :lol: or that makes me sad ;) or angry ;) or WOW ;) or cool :( or not that old topoic again :o the :o however just leaves me confused. Which do you use and what do they mean when you use them?

Edited by markandlynn

:lol: - Huh? I don't understand, please explain

:( - Shocked or surprised (usually mock surprise!)

:D - wink - if I'm implying something or if it's a private joke... i.e. knowingly

:D - smug - as in "ha ha, I found it, you didn't!"

:D - big smile - very happy, I totally agree or congratulations, well done

;) - laugh - I find that funny

:D - that's cool (I don't think I've ever used this one!!!)

:o - as it says... rolling my eyes as in "yeah, right!"

;) - I'm skeptical or contemplating

:D - I'm smiling 'cos I'm happy or feel good

;) - I disapprove

;) - I'm sad or disappointed

:lol: - I usually use this with :o - I'm unsure, please explain

:lol: - I'm incredulous, "I don't belieeeeeeve it!"

:D - I'm ducking judiciously!

Which do you use and what do they mean when you use them?

:lol: Eh?

:o Good grief!

:( Wink.... I'm pulling your plonker

:D Pbbbbttt.. blowing a raspberry

:D Very happy

;) Very funny

:D Cool man

:o I think you are pulling my plonker!

;) Never used it

:D Happy

;) Angry

;) Unhappy

:lol: Thinking

:lol: Puzzled

:D I'm about to rob a bank

:D;)

:(:D

:lol:;)

:lol::lol:

:o;)

;):o

Above: My average day.

Below: A message I've never seen before.

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message.

Is there some sort of hose-pipe ban on emoticons? A world shortage perhaps?...

SP <wg>

Edited by Simply Paul
Well I can assure you Stonefisk I am neither of the things you have suggested there :rolleyes:

And I am astounded that Lactodorum ... who was quick enough to jump in on another thread has let that go??

Bill.

huh whatever, this is what this thread is about, misunderstanding emoticons. That is what I thought that emoticon meant... smugness. As it is one you seem to use frequently I naturally then read that way. All seemed to fit anyway, I even mentally inserted a nasal nerdy voice for you. As I said, now I know what the emotion really means I really in fairness, should go re-read all your posts in a new light, but probably never will because... err I don't like the sound of your nasal voice.

Edited by stonefisk
Well I can assure you Stonefisk I am neither of the things you have suggested there :rolleyes:

And I am astounded that Lactodorum ... who was quick enough to jump in on another thread has let that go??

Bill.

huh whatever, this is what this thread is about, misunderstanding emoticons. That is what I thought that emoticon meant... smugness. As it is one you seem to use frequently I naturally then read that way. All seemed to fit anyway, I even mentally inserted a nasal nerdy voice for you. As I said, now I know what the emotion really means I really in fairness, should go re-read all your posts in a new light, but probably never will because... err I don't like the sound of your nasal voice.

Well all I can say to that reply Stonefisk is that it speaks volumes about what kind of person you are <_<

Bill.

Bill.

Well all I can say to that reply Stonefisk is that it speaks volumes about what kind of person you are <_<

Bill.

cool, saves you any future shock.

Edited by stonefisk

I've just had a read back through some of my posts Stonefisk and I think I owe you an apology (I nearly winked again :huh: ) !!

I can see how it might be taken as a smug addition to a comment!!

I realise how difficult it is to get a jokey friendly comment across on a forum so I try to convey my emotions by using as many of the emoticons as I can!!

But I can assure you this was not my intent...and I really don't have a nerdy voice.. :rolleyes:<_<:ph34r:

Bill.

I've just had a read back through some of my posts Stonefisk and I think I owe you an apology (I nearly winked again :huh: ) !!

I can see how it might be taken as a smug addition to a comment!!

I realise how difficult it is to get a jokey friendly comment across on a forum so I try to convey my emotions by using as many of the emoticons as I can!!

But I can assure you this was not my intent...and I really don't have a nerdy voice.. :rolleyes:<_<:ph34r:

Bill.

My very dry humour does not come across that well either, but then again I do that intentionally.

:anicute: As a lady - I have been using this emoticon thinking it was a smiling lady - i.e. red lipstick.... having realised that it is thought of as a raspberry I now feel totally embarrassed... oops - sorry anyone that I have blown raspberries to at any time...

Mind you when I discovered this it also made me giggle - so some good has come from my mistake.... - laughing is good... giggling is great.

Cheers everyone

Laughalot :blink: (Will stick with this one... it's much safer! lol )