Best PDA for geo-caching under $200.00?

KozAZ

I'm getting really hooked on this PDA Geocaching thing. The problem is I really do not know alot about PDAs. I currently have a Merd-Plat GPSr.

I really like the idea of not having to print out all those geo-webpages.

So my question is, what PDA do you all recommend for geocaching. I'm not looking for the top of the line PDA!

It should be able to do the following:

(1) Be able to fill with Geo-caching webpage info (100 geo-caches for example).

(2) Load Maping software (Topo and/or street maps). That way it could be a reference only for my GPSr Mapsend software.

(3) If you can think of anything else useful please let me know. I'm pretty green to PDA capabilities! icon_rolleyes.gif

If the $200.00 limit is not possible for the above wishlist please feel free to suggest what PDA to use.

The reason I'm looking for a fairly cheap one, is because if I drop it, I'm not out $400.00 bucks icon_eek.gif

They are old machines, but you can find good Visor Deluxes on Ebay for well under $100. You can load mapopolis on it an run maps. You can run Magellan Companion GPS on it and double your GPS receivers.

If you drop it, you go back to Ebay and get another.

For a little more, you could get a visor neo or visor platinum. These are a little faster and may make maps easier.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

I had no use for PDA's until I ran into "Just a Short Walk" on a Carmel, CA beach cache hunt. He showed me his Handspring Deluxe in which he had stored a long list of CA caches. And, it was only $50.00 on Ebay. That was about a year ago and the Deluxe's still sell for about $50-$60 have plenty of storage and of, course, the 8mg memory is expandable with memory cards. Give up paper. Go Deluxe.

I'm perfectly happy with my new Sony Clie' SL10 Granted it's not one of those new color ones, but it does have a 360 by 360 screen and I primarily use it for caching. I've downloaded Plucker and a xml-associated program that converts the gpx files to html that can be loaded into the device. Works great!

It was about 140 bucks...not bad. I guess I could get one cheaper on ebay,but I like getting something out of store where I could return it easily and warrantees are still good.

Oh, one more thing...it operates on a couple of AAA batteries. I like this a lot since I'm in the woods...hiking and backpacking so if I run out of power...all I've gotta do is to install new batteries. The unit shuts itself down after a few minutes as a power saving mode so batteries last for a while.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Go to Dell and get one of their Axium's

For the money there is no better bang for the buck, bar none. Not even palm based units.

Get the 299 one if you can swing it. However the 250 one is ok also.

Wherever you go there you are.

I don't think the serial port on the dells work the same as ones found on a ipaq or other units. this means you would have to get a CF GPSr instead of hooking the meridian (or any stand alone GPSr) into it.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Is there any reason I couldn't use an older Palm IIIxe (8mb) pda?

Edit: Answering my own question, yep, works fine. They can be had for 80 bucks online. It has 8mb memory. I dusted off mine and now have a reasonably good reason to use it.

don

[This message was edited by Cachetrotters on January 20, 2003 at 07:51 PM.]

I've got a Palm Pilot Personal (2mb, no infrared beaming) that you can have for $40. I have the cradle for it, I just don't have the synch software for the PC. I imagine you could download it from somewhere.

Any body that wants it can shoot me a email.

The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the moon and I have more faith in the Shadow than in the Church.

- Ferdinand Magellan

quote:
How about the opposite?

Now, that we've heard about some of the 'good' ones, what about some not-so-good ones?

What would be a bad PDA and why??

I’ll tell you what PDA not to use. I’d strongly suggest you stay away from Toshiba. I have a e335 and for the most part it worked pretty well. I had to do a soft reset after running a few programs but that is probably Windows Pocket PC. My problem with Toshiba is I had mine for just over 30 days and sent it in for repair at their request and now I have to pay $129.00 to get it back. They don’t honor their warrenty. I’ll post the full story when I get it back.

Well, a flip response to the question would be: The best PDA under $200 dollars is the one that's been sitting on your desk for over a year collecting dust and after you read about paperless caching you put 2 new batteries in it and turn it on, update the operating system to 3.5.3, order a second HotSync cable for $19.95 so you can also use it at work to justify the expense of the 2 new batteries, load Plucker, get some files spun with GPXSpinner, shoot them to the Palm, and POOF! you're in business. Then you're cookin' on all four burners. icon_cool.gif

Pheww. icon_biggrin.gif

don

[This message was edited by Cachetrotters on January 23, 2003 at 06:13 PM.]