Importing Waypoints To Memory Map

mickledore

I use Memory Map for all mapping purposes. I would like to download waypoints directly onto my various maps. I use Easy GPS for downloading waypoints. When I try and import them to MM, nothing happens. Originally I received a message saying that I didn't have a professional licence, but I've downloaded a patch which bypasses that problem. However when I try and import waypoints nothing happens.

I can get waypoints onto the map, but I have to download them to GPS, then return them from GPS to MM. Besides being time consuming I also have to clear GPS of all unwanted waypoints, or chase all over my maps deleting waypoints that I don't need. MM imports ALL waypoints shown on GPS.

Is there a way round this, or is it just a glitch in the system?

Thanks Pengy. I've tried to read that link, but don't have a clue what anyone is talking about. (I don't talk Geek!!). Looks like I need to mess around with the directory and I'm going nowhere near that. What is GSAK? If it is that complicated I'll just stay as I am. Thanks for your trouble.

The way I do it is -

1. Go here http://stats.guk2.com/caches/download.php and download in 'Memory Map with Descriptions format' and all ( reduce it if you want )

2. Save the file

3. Open Memory Map and import the file ( Overlay>Import and select mxf as the file type and browse for the file you downloaded.)

The only problem with this method is that it imports all the UK caches whether you've found them or not.

Edited by Roberts-tribe
The way I do it is -

1. Go here http://stats.guk2.com/caches/download.php and download in 'Memory Map with Descriptions format' and all ( reduce it if you want )

2. Save the file

3. Open Memory Map and import the file ( Overlay>Import and select mxf as the file type and browse for the file you downloaded.)

The only problem with this method is that it imports all the UK caches whether you've found them or not.

dadgum! I thought the memory with descriptions download was ditched a long time ago due to bandwidth issues. Haven't bothered since. Thanks, that is cool as I recently lost my last copy.

I've found GSAK, should I ditch EasyGPS in favour of this? Only downloaded EasyGPS because the site seemed to favour it. Is it that much better?

In one word - YES.

It is very versatile, not hard to use if you don't use all the functions and very useful.

As Roberts-tribe point out, the GeocachingUK route is also excellent especially if you move aroung a bit.

Edited by John Stead

For what its worth, the next version of gsak (the one that's currently being beta tested) doesn't require you to mess about with xml files, just export direct to MM format after specifying any special waypoint markers you want. I don't know whether you actually need to have paid clyde for gsak to be able to participate in the beta test or not, either way, he needs to invite you to participate. It's a big improvement on the current version though. As far as gsak vs easygps is concerned, personally I fnd gsak streets ahead of easygps but each to their own.

GSAK enables you to build you own mini, personalised version of the goecaching.com database on your hard drive.

Once the stuff is on your drive, you can extract the data/waypoints in a multitude of arrangements centred on various locations.

As a simple example, when we go to visit my brother, I select a pool of "not-found" caches centred on his house. I then export the data to Memory-Map to print off maps, squirt the waypoint data into our hand-held GPS unit, the StreetPilot 3 to use in the car and final export all the data about the selected waypoints into a Palm PDA. The latter has everything as featured on the waypoint webpage including the last five recorded logs.

GSAK deals with all the different formats and requirements for you, the whole business describe above is completed in minutes.

...naturally, there are far more whistles and flutes to uncover in the programme. This programme is shareware at its best and knocks EasyGPS into a cocked hat.

I am not related or connected to Clyde (in Aussie, me in UK), I am just one of a multitude of registered fans and well-satisified users of his software.

Edited by Sue & Bernie

Thanks everyone. I've looked at GSAK, and that's all I'm going to do with it. Seems to be designed by/for nerds. I'm just a simple chainsaw man who likes to have things put in English. Don't understand all this .XXX/YYY>dhe/com malarky. Can't get my head round all these three letter abbreviations. What do they all mean? This site seems to assume that I know all about the site before I begin. Sorry I don't, and won't be paying $10USD. I'll just stick with what I know.

I was only trying to be helpful and being a simple soul myself need all the help I can get with things technical. That is why GSAK is so useful. The three letter abbreviations are the suffixes to the files which you download from Geocaching.com. Just browse for the right file and it does it all for you.

Edited by John Stead

I don't export to MM I use mapsource But GSAK is very powerful, I would not be with out mine :(:D Its free to try for as long as you want I have been using it since V2 Clyde Updates it all the time and I had no hesitation in paying the £6.50 (its less now with nearly $2 to the £)

I use GSAK, and just keep having a play with it, you don't have to be a tekkie to use it. I download the zipped GPX file straight on to my desktop, and just drag it onto the top of the GSAK icon. The file unzips, and installs its self, and tells me how many new caches have been added, and any that have changed from disabled. Nothing tekkie about it at all. I've just exported a pushpin file into Auto Route 2000, with no problems. GSAK is the Bees Knees, if I can use it anyone can!

Dave :(

I was only trying to be helpful and being a simple soul myself need all the help I can get with things technical.

Sorry John, I wasn't having a dig at you, just the assumption that everyone can understand technobabble. If I buy a new car I expect to be able to drive it away, not be told that I need to put it together first. Same here. I've never dealt with all these three letter abbreviations and the assumption appears to be that everyone knows what they are. Think I'll stick to felling trees!

I've never dealt with all these three letter abbreviations and the assumption appears to be that everyone knows what they are

GPX files, are a file available to Premium members of this site (cost's $30 a year, about £16 depending on the exchange rate), which contains all the information on the cache page, they are obtained in bulk through a pocket query or can be downloaded individually off the cache page. When imported into a program like GSAK, you have a customizable database of cache information, including the last 5 logs. GSAK will do all the work of importing the GPX file for you, so does not need any programing knowledge. If your going on holiday, pick a cache central to were you are staying, create a pocket query centered on that cache, import it into GSAK, and you have all the information you need to sort out several days caching. Sounds hard? No, it wold take longer to read this post than to do the above. If you attend a cache event near to your location, I'm sure you'd find several catchers attending with laptops, who would be more than willing to show you GSAK and it's uses and simplicity. As to assumptions that everyone knows what the terms and abbreviations means, thats possibly correct, as we are all used to using them, but all you have to do is give us a shout about using any of the programs, and one of us will help you through the problems, don't be afraid to try them.

Dave

Edited by Mancunian Pyrocacher
I've never dealt with all these three letter abbreviations and the assumption appears to be that everyone knows what they are.

I think I know why you may have never seen these TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms!) before. Microsoft Windows has an option to Hide extensions for known file types. With this option set, you will not see the .gpx or .loc extension on the end of a pocket query file.

You can switch this option so it does display extensions anyway (I prefer this). You open your Windows Explorer program (or My Computer) and choose the following menu options Tools | Folder Options | click the View tab and uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types. This all depends which type of computer operating system you have. I have assumed Microsoft Windows (there are others of course!).

Good luck.

If I buy a new car I expect to be able to drive it away, not be told that I need to put it together first. Same here. I've never dealt with all these three letter abbreviations and the assumption appears to be that everyone knows what they are. Think I'll stick to felling trees!

That only works because you had driving lessons at some time and learnt how to drive a car. Then with each new car all you had to do was learn what the differences are from your last car.

I'm afraid we are a long way from computers (and cars) that are that intuative that you don't need to take the time to learn how to use them.. one day perhaps :D